Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2007, 06:41 PM

34 posts, read 33,488 times

Advertisements

Lbsing,

I don't agree. People hate murderers and rapists. Not because they are "ignorant" but because those people act in ways that are morally wrong. They prey upon other members of society. The break the social contract.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 06:42 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
...Once again, as I've stated before on other threads, the underlying problem as I see it is a clash of cultures. It's not the big conflicts that infuriate the average person (suicide bombers, religious violence, etc.) After all, few of us ever experience these things first-hand. Rather, it is the little day-to-day cultural "quirks" in our own surroundings which can drive a person to distraction. No longer do we have a "melting pot" in which people are expected to submerge their differences in a common US culture- -that idea went out some years ago. Now we (the long-established US population) are told that huge numbers of new arrivals should be encouraged to celebrate their diversity and differences. Their cultures are thought to be far more colorful, interesting, and fascinating than our own rather "dull" lifestyle, and we seem to almost discourage assimilation....sure don't want to "push" anyone, after all.
The results can, at best, breed resentment and tension. (At this point, I must admit that I live near one of the most diverse cities in the world, and perhaps my view reflects this- please bear with me). It's the little, unwritten points of "cultural literacy" that a person must learn if he's to fit in or assimilate with a new group, that we are no longer insisting that people learn.
When walking into a bank or supermarket, for example, and seeing four people in line, do you automatically realize that this makes you number five ? In many cultures, this is not a given. The biggest, strongest, burliest guy goes to the head of the line. Do you instinctively turn your loud music down when others are around? Many folks don't see any need to do this- it just isn't anything they've ever been taught.
Many cultures have little or no sense of civic responsibility- you keep your front yard neat, but the rest of the world is your garbage dump, because it's not your problem (Americans themselves took several decades to get over this, but most of us now are reasonably "litter-free").
I realize that we ("US Culture") share some of the blame- loud cell-phone clods who monopolize quiet restaraunts are just one example- but I do believe that at least the US culture has some sort of peer pressure to keep us in line. Other cultures, from what I see, sometimes lack this.
An example that struck me was the recent illegal immigration melees in downtown Los Angeles (One several weeks ago, and one just a few days ago) Watching, I couldn't help feeling annoyed (as a member of "this" culture, I suppose); and I tried to analyze my reaction. I decided that what mostly irritated me was that, from my perspective, these folks are here illegally, and yet are allowed to stay,(probably indefinitely), to hold jobs, to recieve at least some government benefits, etc., etc., yet they're not at all grateful. In fact, they are resentful of this country. This, I think, shows the deep divide between cultures. I guess that somehow I expect a little gratitude- I suppose this shows my own cultural limitations. And to add insult to injury, no one ever seems to express any anger toward the despotic wealthy ruling classes- or the dictators- or the warlords- who made it necessary for these folks to leave their own country (or countries) in the first place.
It's as though you arrive home after work to find an intruder in your home, watching your TV, and raiding your refrigerator, and instead of being embarrassed or ashamed, he proceeds to complain that your shirts don't fit him.
Not the best illustration, perhaps, but I do think that without a commonly-accepted list of wrongs, rights, and appropriate behaviors, people are destined to forever clash. And that's where assimilation comes in. Somehow we need to encourage assimilation and forget about multiculturalism. If you think multiculturalism is cool, perhaps you should talk with the folks in Bosnia- or in Iraq. Ask them why they have such a horrific time getting along with their neighbors, and my guess is that a large part of their answer would be based on conflicting cultures.
The "hate in America", to the extent that it exists, is largely a product of our being endlessly told we must "get along" with everyone under the sun, while hearing very little about their desire to "get along" with us. After a while, it becomes a thankless job.

Old 06-25-2007, 07:05 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,232,279 times
Media brainwashing. Stop watching the news, and you'll be cured.

Old 06-26-2007, 01:44 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,468,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
What is wrong with us that we can not tolerate different races of people? We are so diverse that if we can't tolerate each other, what will America turn into? What happened to UNITED WE STAND?

UNITED WE STAND?
It used to be Americans and immigrants that dreamed of becoming Americian

now it's

Americans and immigrants that dream of taking advantage of Americans

You cannot be united with different goals.

Old 06-26-2007, 03:00 AM

467 posts, read 324,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bargainmom View Post
Carolinanative,

You are so right. I support stronger state's rights and less federal government intrusion.

I am interested in your quote...

I have lived, by virtue of my nomadic Navy life, in 5 states over the last 18 years and I've had the opportunity to sample state's rights.

The most striking thing I noticed from state to state are the differences in the educational system (not made ANY better, but actually worse by NCLB).

Most notably, when we moved 2 years ago to WA state from GA our daughter was completing her Jr yr in high school and our son was completing 8th grade. If we had stayed in GA she would have stayed in high school and graduated there. However, since we moved to WA she was able, because she is a well qualified student, to skip her senior year (it actually can start as early as the Jr year) of high school and go straight to college - paid for by WA state. So, we received a free year of college education just because we happened to move.

Now, don't you think it is HIGHLY unfair that students in AL, MO, AK, CT, etc don't have this option?

That is just one example of how citizens of one country have different rights by virtue of their geographic location - is that fair? Do you think the founders wanted us to have unequal rights?

Old 06-26-2007, 11:30 AM

14 posts, read 27,291 times
Ask not what your country can do for you... but what you can do for your country.

-JFK

This message seems totally forgotten these days.

Old 11-15-2011, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,170 times
im a goblin!

Old 11-15-2011, 01:11 PM

912 posts, read 1,331,508 times
I would prefer a country where everyone of his/her stays within their own race .No lawsuits ,maybe if the server in front of you is the same color.These days spanish speaking come here they won't learn english.They take advantage of the system,riot and protest if America tries to curb or limit immigration.Spanish labels everywhere .UNITED WE STAND ,not when in the past immigrants came to become American .Now ,immigrants come here to shove their language down my throat .These immigrants are taking advantage of America .

Old 11-15-2011, 01:23 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,659,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justone321 View Post
What is wrong with us that we can not tolerate different races of people? We are so diverse that if we can't tolerate each other, what will America turn into? What happened to UNITED WE STAND?
So ironic...or is it? This Thread about 'Hate' was right above this one

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-everyone.html

Come over here (link above) and lay ''all hatred aside.'' It's great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies