Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 06:02 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,709,053 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KARL_MARX View Post
Amazon.com: The New South, 1945-1980 (History of the South) (9780807119440): Numan V. Bartley: Books

This post is quite comical if it is attempting to deny the South's natural magnetism towards racism. The South's essence is, racial obsession. Yet, are you really surprised, I mean only idiots would claim superiority on the basis of phenotypes. By the way, before you post such jibberish read the book above.
Didn't read your link, but I did not that the date ends in 1980; 19 years ago. By the way, I would argue that the left is waaaaaay more obsessed with race then any other sub group.

Fact: We, the conservative, rednecked racists have elected the nations first and only Indian American governor and Vietnamese American congressman.

Fact: We, the conservative rednecked racists nominated two black candidates for governors of Ohio and Pennsylvania. Both Blackwell and Swann were defeated by liberal, progressive "tolerant" leftists.

Fact: We, the conservative rednecked racists nominated a black man, Michael Steele to be senator of Maryland. He was met with overtly racist taunts like Uncle Tom and "Oreo" by liberal, progressive "tolerant" leftists.

Fact: We, the conservative rednecked racists elected the aforementioned Steele to head our party.

Fact: There is one former KKK Grand Wizard in the senate. His name is Robert Byrd; he's a democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 06:18 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,289,211 times
This is propaganda by the OP who is trying to gather support for his cause that racism is somehow not prominent in the South. He used the Jindal election as an example and ignored other historical points.

1. The OP erroneously assumed that Jindal changed his last name which is proof he knew little about Jindal. Bobby Jindal's first name is Piyush. He never legally changed his first name. He goes by "Bobby" to be more accepted. Jindal also changed his religion to Catholicism from Hinduism. The real question is could Bobby Jindal have won in a state like Louisiana if he ran as Piyush Jindal the Hindu? If a person has to change his identity to win, is that really representative of a state that is tolerant of minorities?

2. Bobby Jindal failed to receive the majority of the White vote. He received 43% of the White vote in Louisiana and won primarily through the minority vote especially the African American vote.

3. The race involved 4 people and he won 54.2% of the vote so it was a fairly tight race. There is no doubt the multiple candidates helped him win.

4. South Carolina, the OP's state, re-elected Strom Thurmond to the U.S. Senate all the way until 2003. As anyone knows Thurmond was against Civil Rights movement and led the movement that opposed it.. He even fathered a Black child but never acknowledged her even when he supposedly "reformed." I would ask that if we are going to judge the South based on their vote for Jindal, we also have to acknowledge they kept re-electing racist in Strom Thurmond.

5. West Viriginia continues to keep a former Grand Wizard of the KKK as a U.S. Senator in Senator Byrd

6. Jessie Helms, served as the U.S. Senator for North Carolina from 1973-2003. Like Thurmon, Helms openly opposed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act for African Americans. He was also a vocal critic of homosexuals.

7. David Duke was a former State Representative for Louisiana from 1989 - 1992. He was also a former Grand Wizard of the KKK.

If the OP wants to be fair and balanced then he need to acknowledge all of these events instead of cherry picking two politicians and implying the South isn't racist.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
This is propaganda by the OP who is trying to gather support for his cause that racism is somehow not prominent in the South. He used the Jindal election as an example and ignored other historical points.

1. The OP erroneously assumed that Jindal changed his last name which is proof he knew little about Jindal. Bobby Jindal's first name is Piyush. He never legally changed his first name. He goes by "Bobby" to be more accepted. Jindal also changed his religion to Catholicism from Hinduism. The real question is could Bobby Jindal have won in a state like Louisiana if he ran as Piyush Jindal the Hindu? If a person has to change his identity to win, is that really representative of a state that is tolerant of minorities?

2. Bobby Jindal failed to receive the majority of the White vote. He received 43% of the White vote in Louisiana and won primarily through the minority vote especially the African American vote.

3. The race involved 4 people and he won 54.2% of the vote so it was a fairly tight race. There is no doubt the multiple candidates helped him win.

4. South Carolina, the OP's state, re-elected Strom Thurmond to the U.S. Senate all the way until 2003. As anyone knows Thurmond was against Civil Rights movement and led the movement that opposed it.. He even fathered a Black child but never acknowledged her even when he supposedly "reformed." I would ask that if we are going to judge the South based on their vote for Jindal, we also have to acknowledge they kept re-electing racist in Strom Thurmond.

5. West Viriginia continues to keep a former Grand Wizard of the KKK as a U.S. Senator in Senator Byrd

6. Jessie Helms, served as the U.S. Senator for North Carolina from 1973-2003. Like Thurmon, Helms openly opposed the Civil Rights Act and the Voting Rights Act for African Americans. He was also a vocal critic of homosexuals.

7. David Duke was a former State Representative for Louisiana from 1989 - 1992. He was also a former Grand Wizard of the KKK.

If the OP wants to be fair and balanced then he need to acknowledge all of these events instead of cherry picking two politicians and implying the South isn't racist.
Racism still exists and always will; just like petty, angry, little bitter people still exist and always will.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You do realize that Cao won because of Jefferson's corruption and he happens to represent the most liberal district in Louisiana right? Also Steele ran for the Senate, not Gov. All three lost because they were Republicans.
This is further proof the OP didn't research these politicians before using them as examples.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Quote:
This is further proof the OP didn't research these politicians before using them as examples.
Still waiting for the link where I supported the moronic judge's decision.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 PM

2,788 posts, read 8,011,325 times
They still have work to do down there in LA.

Interracial couple denied marriage - 10/16/09 - Los Angeles-Southern California-LA Breaking News, Weather, Traffic, Sports - abc7.com

Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 PM

20 page thread on it halfway down this very page.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...icense-la.html

Warning: Towards the end there was a silly, juvenile pizzing match between Azzriver and I;for that I'm embarrassed and apologize. it was 3 am here, that's my only excuse.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
Still waiting for the link where I supported the moronic judge's decision.

Sigh....that's because I was referencing another poster not you. You just ASSumed I was talking about you. Out of deference to that poster, I will not name him but he is also from your state if that should help you figure out who I'm talking about. Foot in Mouth...!

Old 10-16-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Sigh....that's because I was referencing another poster not you. You just ASSumed I was talking about you. Out of deference to that poster, I will not name him but he or she is also from your state if that should help you figure out who I'm talking about.
If that's the case, then I apologize. I just do not remember any other poster in that thread that was from the south, and in a biracial marriage and have not faced any issues because of it.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
If that's the case, then I apologize. I just do not remember any other poster in that thread that was from the south, and in a biracial marriage and have not faced any issues because of it.
That's because I was involved with that person in the first couple of pages. Our discussion was much later. I know you are not a racist and I never accused you of being one. If I gave you that impression, I apologize as well. I just disagree with your point that these two politicians somehow erase the racist legacy. That being said, I do think the South is improving and this is very encouraging. I also think highly of Jindal and would make an excellent Presidential candidate one day because he is highly educated and is fiscally conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies