Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2009, 10:56 AM

450 posts, read 502,845 times

Advertisements

[quote=natalayjones;11227728]Do not make comments like this

You're absolutely right, I was out of line....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 10:57 AM

450 posts, read 502,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yayoi View Post
Yes because from my experience blacks and non-white Hispanics seem to be less afraid of confrontations than whites. Whites seem to like to avoid confrontations at all costs, even if that means helping someone in need.
WOW great point lol....makes sense to me

Old 10-17-2009, 10:58 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,662,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Wrong, a girl making the claim of "thats not my daddy" does not mean that the girl isnt a runaway and the guy holding her isnt a truance officer, a police officer, a neighbor, a step father, she could have just shop lifted from a store and the guy could be an undercover security personal.

There could be hundreds of reasons why she could be shouting that, and one reason could very well be that she ran away and daddy found her, and she wants help to run away again knowing shes going to go home and get a beating.

Getting involved is one thing, running in and attacking an individual because you heard a girl yelling something and then assumed she wasnt lying and attacking the perpetrator is another.

The video shows the man grabbing the girl, the individuals getting involved causing the man to backaway and the girl is free. Had she been a runaway this would have been a perfect scenario, with her daddy there trying to explain to those who got involved that they just helped her runaway again.

How good of a samaritan would they have been if they helped a runaway get away again?
If she is going to "get a beating" at home, I sure hope someone helps her run away.

Old 10-17-2009, 10:59 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
Then we actually do agree 100%, it was camping which made the ONLY other reason one would call them a punk, racism..

I was pointing out how pathetic it would be to assume that they were punks because they were black.
I think you have racism on the brain. Now what does it mean if I call young "white" guys punks? And I am white. So I quess it means I'm racism against my own race..........hmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:08 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y2flyy View Post
What video are you watching PGH? Where did they run up and ATTACK the individual? LOL I love the spin bro....
Stop calling me 'bro", I'm not your bro...
The man very clearly thought he was going to be attacked and let the girl go, backing away, holding up his hands, starting talking real fast about police being behind them, cameras being around.

Neither you nor I was there, and we can only go by the individuals ractions as to what they believed was taking place, just like we can only go by the fact that the boys/guys believed an abduction was taking place.
Quote:
Yes they probably would've been forceful if he had continued to take the girl away
And if they had been wrong, their forcefulness would have been a violation of several other laws and ended them up in jail, very possibly for 6 months + waiting for trial assuming they couldnt bail out. Do you really think that if the cameras werent present that people would buy the fact that they were trying to be "saviors" of some girl who would have "ran away" by then and been long gone?
Quote:
But again thats what heroes do

You're the only person that is looking at that video and saying they did the wrong thing.
It would be interesting if your child was being abducted, I doubt it very seriously that would hope that people around would take 10 mins to analyze everything while your child is being kidnapped
If it was my child being kidnapped, I would know very well that the man wasnt "her daddy" and I would be authorized to take actions.
Quote:
They reacted to the distress call from the young girl. They should be applauded! Standing Ovation!
I never stated they shouldnt have applauded, they should have and were. I stated that had the girl not been being abducted and they actually helped a runaway get away again, they could very likely have been being criticized. A bypasser by in 30 seconds is not in a position to analize the truthfulness of the girl, or decide for themself if the girl is truly being abducted, and not a runaway, a shoplifter, or various other possibilities as to why a guy would be holding a girl walking down the street with her yelling. They also dont have the authority to break the law in order to stop what they PERCEIVE to be going on.

Last edited by pghquest; 10-17-2009 at 11:38 AM..

Old 10-17-2009, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
I think you have racism on the brain. Now what does it mean if I call young "white" guys punks? And I am white. So I quess it means I'm racism against my own race..........hmmmmmmmmmm.
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? the racist comment wasnt the word "punk" thats what I'm pointing out.. the racist comment was when someone else said that using "punk" was ONLY DUE TO racism..

We agree, but yet you continue to say we are wrong.. Keep slapping that head, maybe you'll get it..

Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What exactly do you mean you are "hard on minorities". I believe most prisoners are white anglos.
According to the US Department of Justice website the ratio of incarcerated prisoners by race in mid year 2008 was;

White -------- 727 per 100,000
Hispanic ---- 1760 per 100,000
Black ------- 4777 per 100,000

Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM

5,963 posts, read 12,434,707 times
Quote:
HELLO? ANYONE HOME? the racist comment wasnt the word "punk" thats what I'm pointing out.. the racist comment was when someone else said that using "punk" was ONLY DUE TO racism..

We agree, but yet you continue to say we are wrong.. Keep slapping that head, maybe you'll get it..
Get real....you are just one of those who love to scream "racism" for any reason. So pc isn't it? Yeah you need to slap your head to get some sense into it.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:21 AM

877 posts, read 2,768,283 times
Quote:
Great post by everyone, as I said I feel guilty as well. Ppl can criticize all they want and call ppl who look down on certain races as racist or bigots. But in my opinion alot of it is human nature, uncontrollable.

In society we do see an inordinate amount of African Americans on tv regarding drug related arrest, violent crimes like armed robbery, gang murders, etc...
How can you not absorb what you see on tv and many times in every day life and not have that negatively affect or feeling towards an entire race.

For example I sell items on Craiglist and eBay all the time. And I haven't noticed this but my friend did. That when I have a buyer who sounds black on the phone, I will meet that person at a populated area during the day.
But if its a white person I have many times had the person come by my house and try the product in my home, sitting on my couch and everything.
Even once a young white couple gave me a check for a TV I was selling (close to $1000). My friend said YOU ACCEPTED A FRICKING CHECK R U CRAZY! And I said "what? They were white!"

Again I am African American and all this sounds bad but it's only a product of the pitfalls I have seen and continue to see (recent Chicago Beating comes for example) in my black communities and thoughout the U.S.

This video though forcing me to look in the mirror and realize that sterotypes, even ones that I practice everyday; can be turned right on it's head.
This is interesting and it shows how Blacks have varied opinions on situations. The things that you point out in your post are things that rarely cross my mind and I have lived in majority Black communities (except once) my whole life. I believe at times, people feed into stereotypes and only see the negatives and tend to ignore or gloss over the positives. Just went through some Diversity training at work and I believe that there were some studies done to show that people automatically notice things to help reinforce their stereotypical thinking and that you have to learn how to stop this thinking. Case in point, many people believe that Blacks do not value education but statistically the same percentage of Blacks achieve higher learning as Whites. Of course more Whites have degrees since Whites are the majority but approximately the same percentage of each race strive for higher education (the only difference is when it comes to obtaining a Bachelors degree whereas a higher percentage of Whites do obtain that degree).

Back to the purpose of the thread, as I stated earlier, I wouldn't have expected anything less from those guys and I applaud their taking action. It would be interesting to find out if any of the other people even called the police to report an incident occurring prior to those guys walking by.

Old 10-17-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Get real....you are just one of those who love to scream "racism" for any reason. So pc isn't it? Yeah you need to slap your head to get some sense into it.
I'm white and I've called my own brother a punk, i have two black children and a black fiance, racism isnt part of my life.

Lets go slowly here so maybe you can get your foot out of your mouth
Do you think that the ONLY reason why someone can call another a "punk" is because of the color of their skin?

If you think yes, then indeed you are no better than the other poster who made such a claim that using the word "punk" was because they are black.

If you think no, that there could be OTHER reasons to call someone else a punk, other than the color of their skin, then we AGREE.

Now maybe you can stop, read this posting again, and if you dont get it, read it again, and then after a few hundred times you will understand that we AGREE, that individuals get called a "punk" for LOTS of reasons, and color of skin usually isnt one of them..

Last edited by pghquest; 10-17-2009 at 11:40 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies