Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 04:21 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Not generalizing, just posting facts.
Teenage pregnancy (to unwed mothers) was very rare in the '50s. As was kids using heroin or cocaine.
Gangs in the '50s was nothing like gangs of today. For one thing, gangs back then were not exposed to dangerous drugs like LSD.

It is inaccurate to say that the '50s were only good for white and middle class. THAT is generalization.
Really? Jim Crow segregation in the South, informal segregation in the North, restrictive covenants, highways projects that tore down many neighborhoods, widespread discrimination and bigotry. Doesn't sound good to me. For who I am and where I am now and the things I do, the 1950s would have been bad for ME, not YOU, but ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 04:26 PM

292 posts, read 543,890 times
I do agree that the 1950s were better times. People had better manners then, even among the lower class Americans, including Blacks and Hispanics. And people also dressed nicer too, fashion and clothing was very conservative and formal, women ALWAYS wore dresses, and men and boys ALWAYS had their shirts tucked with their hair neatly cut and combed to the side. It was not acceptable at all for people to show off their belly buttons, or wear their pants so that it shows their underwear. People were just classier then. People didn't even think about doing the things that we do now, if it were still the '50s, people would probably go into shock and probably become traumatized if we acted the way we do now then.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:29 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,337,597 times
Quote:
For society in general, the pluses outweighed the minuses.
Didn't have to worry about guns in schools. Or kids using cocaine or heroin. Unwed teenage mothers were very rare. That's just a few of many examples.
No they weren't, they were just hidden away until their babies could be put up for adoption.

I personally know of 5 women, now in their 60s and all professionals (one is a CEO making $300K+/yr) who have reconnected with birth children.

Back in the 60s, girls were not allowed to attend high school if they were pregnant and they were not allowed to return after they gave birth. So, unwed motherhood was not as in-your-face as it is today, but it certainly existed.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:10 PM

292 posts, read 543,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
No they weren't, they were just hidden away until their babies could be put up for adoption.

I personally know of 5 women, now in their 60s and all professionals (one is a CEO making $300K+/yr) who have reconnected with birth children.

Back in the 60s, girls were not allowed to attend high school if they were pregnant and they were not allowed to return after they gave birth. So, unwed motherhood was not as in-your-face as it is today, but it certainly existed.
Yes, my grandparents told me during the '50s, if you were pregnant and unmarried in high school, you were forced to drop out and live with a distant relative to prevent anyone from knowing that you pregnant, and in most cases the babies were put up for adoption. But a very small percentage of babies were born to unwed mothers. About 1% of white babies and 10% of black babies were born out wedlock, compared to 25% of white babies and over 70% of black babies today. And among teens, over 80% of their babies today are born out of wedlock, compared to only 10-15% during the 1950s.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:13 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,309,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flguy1192 View Post
Yes, my grandparents told me during the '50s, if you were pregnant and unmarried in high school, you were forced to drop out and live with a distant relative to prevent anyone from knowing that you pregnant, and in most cases the babies were put up for adoption. But a very small percentage of babies were born to unwed mothers. About 1% of white babies and 10% of black babies were born out wedlock, compared to 25% of white babies and over 70% of black babies today. And among teens, over 80% of their babies today are born out of wedlock, compared to only 10-15% during the 1950s.
Exactly, if you compare statistics, you will see that the percent was much, much lower in the '50s.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Really? Jim Crow segregation in the South, informal segregation in the North, restrictive covenants, highways projects that tore down many neighborhoods, widespread discrimination and bigotry. Doesn't sound good to me. For who I am and where I am now and the things I do, the 1950s would have been bad for ME, not YOU, but ME.
Are you saying that absolutely no blacks enjoyed the '50s?
Absolutely no blacks prospered during that decade?
I find that hard to believe. Also, the '50s was not the only decade with discrimination.

And it there was so much bigotry, why was the #1 musical band of the '50s the Platters? Why did Nat King Cole have his own TV show?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:01 PM

73,010 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
Are you saying that absolutely no blacks enjoyed the '50s?
Absolutely no blacks prospered during that decade?
I find that hard to believe. Also, the '50s was not the only decade with discrimination.

And it there was so much bigotry, why was the #1 musical band of the '50s the Platters? Why did Nat King Cole have his own TV show?
I never said there weren't any prosperous Blacks in the 50's. I just said the 1950's would not have been a good time for African-Americans given the laws and other forms of discrimination, and how Blacks in general were perceived and treated. Just because Nat King Cole had his own TV show doesn't cancel out the discrimination and bigotry that existed in the 1950's. Go read about it. The truth is out there about American history in the 1950's, especially about African-Americans. It doesn't cancel out Jim Crow segregation in the South. It doesn't cancel out the fact that an African-American could still be refused service in a restaurant just based on his skin color. It doesn't cancel out the things that happened.

Old 03-07-2010, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
I never said there weren't any prosperous Blacks in the 50's. I just said the 1950's would not have been a good time for African-Americans given the laws and other forms of discrimination, and how Blacks in general were perceived and treated. Just because Nat King Cole had his own TV show doesn't cancel out the discrimination and bigotry that existed in the 1950's. Go read about it. The truth is out there about American history in the 1950's, especially about African-Americans. It doesn't cancel out Jim Crow segregation in the South. It doesn't cancel out the fact that an African-American could still be refused service in a restaurant just based on his skin color. It doesn't cancel out the things that happened.
What decade do you think was/is better than the '50s? As I said, the '50s was not the only decade in which there was bigotry and discrimination.

In case you don't know it, bigotry and discrimination still exists; it's not completely gone.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:01 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
In the 1950s, the default expectation of others was courtesy and modesty.

Today, the default expectation is suspicion and fear.

This is not progress.

Old 03-07-2010, 10:02 PM

1,842 posts, read 1,708,106 times
yip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies