Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is if fair that we have to work on our Holy Days?
Yes 36 66.67%
No 18 33.33%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 12:47 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,742,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You say it very casually. Would you like working on Christmas (if you are a Christian)?

Indians consider Diwali a very big celebration. Meanwhile, I can understand an employers concern if the holiday was 5 days long but this is one day.

I think it was wrong of my fathers boss to assign my dad to work despite him saying he could not.

I am a Christian, I have worked Christmas and believe it or not I didn't melt!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2009, 12:50 PM

10,719 posts, read 20,286,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I agree with your sentiment but why do you and others view Christianity as a caucasian holiday? Christianity originated in the Middle East and you will find Christians among every race in my church alone and throughout this country.
There are some people who equate American with Christian and/or White and anything else is foreign and must essentially assimilate and adopt behaviors and customs associated with one of those two or they aren't being American enough. I didn't mean to say that all Christians are White. Obviously, that isn't the case. I'm Hispanic and most of us are Catholic.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:33 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,497,799 times
Quote:
I have said it many times that it is ONLY one day he requested off. I like your skills. You really read and comprehend well.

No, he did not expect to get paid. It would be nice though. Like how when you work on "Christmas", you get paid extra.

Sure, they could not give every single nurse "Christmas" off. Some nurses might want to work it for extra money. They are bound to have non Christians working there too.

I do not worry about these things. I worry about the people versus worrying about the poor little businesses. Life is too short. You should enjoy your religious holiday. You have the rest of your life to work. I saying this an atheist who does not celebrate any main holidays.

You keep saying it like everyone gets paid extra for working Christmas. It is not required that an employer pay extra for working the holidays. It is the choice of the employer to decide what holidays they decide to pay or not. It is also the right of the employer to choose which holidays to give the employees off. No one is forcing an employee to take the job, especially when they accept it knowing what days are paid if any and what days off they are give if any.

Holiday pay and holiday time off are merely a incentive to the employee by employer and not a right. As long as they are not violating any laws then they have every right to run the business as they see fit. That's the price you pay for living in a free country.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:45 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,633,972 times
I worked for a gas station. There isn't any days that we closed. There wasn't any extra pay for working a holiday, if you were scheduled to work it.

Old 11-01-2009, 05:57 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,306,976 times
Quote:
What do you mean "unfair"? But why do Christians get their holy day off without any loss or using their personal days?

Shouldnt people of other faiths be able to celebrate without worrying about what their employer thinks?
Name a company that lets Christians take Christmas off without using a Holiday. Most bigger companies give their employees 10 holiday days a year based on the federal holiday schedule. In my company, I don't care when they take them. If they don't use them, they lose them. PTO is treated separately. I have one gal who is Jewish and she always takes her holiday on a Friday in early December. I never understood why, because she has to take a PTO day on Christamas. It seems like a wash to me, but it holds some importance to her, so who cares. We have a few others who save their days up and take the week of Christmas off.

Regardless, Holiday pay and PTO are part of the compensation package. Your father gets PTO, and he should use it. Big deal.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM

10,027 posts, read 9,497,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Name a company that lets Christians take Christmas off without using a Holiday. Most bigger companies give their employees 10 holiday days a year based on the federal holiday schedule. In my company, I don't care when they take them. If they don't use them, they lose them. PTO is treated separately. I have one gal who is Jewish and she always takes her holiday on a Friday in early December. I never understood why, because she has to take a PTO day on Christamas. It seems like a wash to me, but it holds some importance to her, so who cares. We have a few others who save their days up and take the week of Christmas off.

Regardless, Holiday pay and PTO are part of the compensation package. Your father gets PTO, and he should use it. Big deal.
Exactly....

Old 11-02-2009, 08:49 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,096 times
Quote:

Companies that close down for the day.

Employees do not lose a holiday for that now, do they? Nope. I have worked for several different companies and this is the same thing.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:53 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,009,496 times
Quote:

Employees do not lose a holiday for that now, do they? Nope. I have worked for several different companies and this is the same thing.
Not all companies close down for Christmas, especially in this 24/7 society we live in.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:50 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,306,976 times
Quote:

Name one. Lots of places close down on Christmas. Their employees use holiday pay. If their company does not provide it, then then they can use PTO. It they don't provide that, they can take the day without pay. If they don't like that, they can use monster.com and find another job.

Old 11-03-2009, 12:13 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,568,096 times
Quote:
Name one. Lots of places close down on Christmas. Their employees use holiday pay. If their company does not provide it, then then they can use PTO. It they don't provide that, they can take the day without pay. If they don't like that, they can use monster.com and find another job.
I have worked at Target, Best Buy, Campus stores and fast food.

They close down on Christmas and we never used a holiday. It was just a given.

Everyone seems to think that either leaving the country or the job is the solution. It is not. It really is not. I have spoken up and will continue to speak up for people of ALL faiths to celebrate their holy days.

Mind you, I am an atheist. I don't celebrate anything so I am not doing this for myself. Many people seem to get bitter with me on here. I just do not think it is right that everything revolves around December 25th and people of others faiths have to use their sick days while Christians usually get that day off and not have to worry about not attending services.

I am actually pretty surprised that people here seem to be more pro business and work to the bone versus family and religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies