Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 06:06 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,623,623 times

Advertisements

Maybe I got some wrong information, and will happily apologize if I am in error or mis-informed. But this right here (below, actually..LOL) just pretty much sums up the frustrating blind imcompetence and sheer stupidity of the federal government in general.

Take this one. For YEARS the feds insisted the danger warning appear on cigarette labels. But supported tobacco growing by subsidies (algores crocodile tears over his sister, aside).

Now then, FINALLY, it seems a truly "safe-cigarette" has been invented, and the feds want to ban it!

Oh sure, the usual BS is given, as in that it hasnt been tested, etc, etc. Real reason is that it will cost the tax dollars they counted on when they placed more taxes on cigs to waste and spend and the god knows what, yet still support the tobacco industry and all the hypocricy that goes into the federal goverment.

Like I say, maybe I got it wrong. But somebody tell me ONE reason why these things should not be legal? Government decided to tell us smoking is bad for us and banning it for our own good. Then a safe alternative comes into play...and lets restrict this too.

I love my country, but I fear my government...

Here it is.

Electronic Cigarette 4 U - USA - The Safe E Cigarette to be banned.

Last edited by TexasReb; 10-17-2009 at 06:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 06:10 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,791,995 times
The federal government is soooo big that it works against itself because one department doesn't know what another department is doing.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
The federal government is soooo big that it works against itself because one department doesn't know what another department is doing.
Yep. But let's create a new committee to find out why that is so, reckon? LOL

Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,065,491 times
E Cigarettes are only safe in that they do not have a flame so you can't burn yourself. It still uses an addictive chemical (nicotine), which still causes birth defects, and is deadly in concentrated/distilled form. It's like saying drinking pure alcohol that has been diluted in water is a safe alternative to drinking beer.

The other thing is that it is a controlled substance, any caustic chemical is that is ingested in part is regulated.

I remember weight loss products that contained pure pharmaceutical grade caffeine to help people loose weight, people screamed and raved the same way about "The Man" interfering with their right to loose weight. Of course, this was until people started having heart/kidney destruction and death. Then people started screaming why the government isn't protecting them from people like this. Can't win with anyone.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:22 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,337,969 times
Government is hit man for Big Business.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:24 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,237,912 times
I'd rather be smoking hash or mary jane than cigs., at least I'd be getting a buzz.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,192,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Maybe I got some wrong information, and will happily apologize if I am in error or mis-informed. But this right here (below, actually..LOL) just pretty much sums up the frustrating blind imcompetence and sheer stupidity of the federal government in general.

Take this one. For YEARS the feds insisted the danger warning appear on cigarette labels. But supported tobacco growing by subsidies (algores crocodile tears over his sister, aside).

Now then, FINALLY, it seems a truly "safe-cigarette" has been invented, and the feds want to ban it!

Oh sure, the usual BS is given, as in that it hasnt been tested, etc, etc. Real reason is that it will cost the tax dollars they counted on when they placed more taxes on cigs to waste and spend and the god knows what, yet still support the tobacco industry and all the hypocricy that goes into the federal goverment.

Like I say, maybe I got it wrong. But somebody tell me ONE reason why these things should not be legal? Government decided to tell us smoking is bad for us and banning it for our own good. Then a safe alternative comes into play...and lets restrict this too.

I love my country, but I fear my government...

Here it is.

Electronic Cigarette 4 U - USA - The Safe E Cigarette to be banned.
Well even their own newsfeed includes this article: FDA analyses electronic cigarettes and finds poisonous ingredients (http://www.ecigarettestore.co.uk/ecigarettenews/index.php/fda-analyses-electronic-cigarettes-and-finds-poisonous-ingredients/ - broken link)

They also use "it's" incorrectly

Old 10-17-2009, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
E Cigarettes are only safe in that they do not have a flame so you can't burn yourself. It still uses an addictive chemical (nicotine), which still causes birth defects, and is deadly in concentrated/distilled form. It's like saying drinking pure alcohol that has been diluted in water is a safe alternative to drinking beer.

The other thing is that it is a controlled substance, any caustic chemical is that is ingested in part is regulated.
It doesn't contain the carcinogenic substances that a regular cigarette does. Seems to be the safe alternative and the only thing inhaled is the nicorete hit. It is as much a "wean from cigs" as anything else. Nicotine is very addicting, no doubt. But if someone smokes (I used too, but quit 15 years ago), then this just might be the greatest thing since sliced bread in terms of health.

Maybe I am wrong, but you come across as one of those who knows better than anybody else what choices they should make.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Well even their own newsfeed includes this article: FDA analyses electronic cigarettes and finds poisonous ingredients (http://www.ecigarettestore.co.uk/ecigarettenews/index.php/fda-analyses-electronic-cigarettes-and-finds-poisonous-ingredients/ - broken link)

They also use "it's" incorrectly
Thanks for the info. As I said, I am wanting to find out more about it all. Still, is there anything short of sterilized spinach that won't kill us eventually? This seems to be the best alternative to smoking, fer gosh sakes. And government plays both sides of it. What a joke.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:36 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,249,764 times
I don't know why the government thinks it is their business as to who smokes what.
I don't know why people think it is their business as to who smokes what.
Why doesn't everyone just leave everyone else alone and stay in their own yard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies