Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 05:33 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,879,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
It annoys me when anyone of any color speaks or writes incorrectly. I dont get so involved that I shake my head or get upset. Although "it's" for "its" and "loose" for "lose" on the innernets probably bring me closest. And a plural pronoun to represent singular ("If your friend wants to wear your coat, let them"). I know this is common nowadays but it still bugs me no end.
Then you probably want to say "internet" and not "innernet." :-)

All grammatical and pronunciation errors grate on my nerves, but I am not perfect either and I'm sure someone, somewhere, is noting my mispronunciations or grammatical errors.

The error that annoys me the most is when people say "I wish I would have" or the even more egregious "I wish I would of" instead of the appropriate conditional "I wish I had."

Old 10-17-2009, 05:35 PM

1,718 posts, read 2,295,174 times
Quote:
It annoys me when anyone of any color speaks or writes incorrectly. I dont get so involved that I shake my head or get upset. Although "it's" for "its" and "loose" for "lose" on the innernets probably bring me closest. And a plural pronoun to represent singular ("If your friend wants to wear your coat, let them"). I know this is common nowadays but it still bugs me no end.
You've got to explain its to me. That sounds funny but its a correct sentence. I thought it's was a contraction for 'it is'. Anytime you mean 'it is' you should spell it it's. Am I wrong about that?

- Reel

PS - What is (or what's) the definition of is?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:36 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post

All grammatical and pronunciation errors grate on my nerves, but I am not perfect either and I'm sure someone, somewhere, is noting my mispronunciations or grammatical errors.

The error that annoys me the most is when people say "I wish I would have" or the even more egregious "I wish I would of" instead of the appropriate conditional "I wish I had."
Sorry, I meant "innernets".

"would of" --!!!! Is that worse than, or only as bad as, "It was just laying there"?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:38 PM

Quote:

Yeah, or inneresting. I guess would've sounds like would of. I had a secretary once type up a letter for me that said 'would of'. Geeesh.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:39 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,396,009 times
"I could care less" when the person really means "I couldn't care less."

Old 10-17-2009, 05:40 PM

So . . . bottom line . . . the guy who says aks instead of ask . . . if that's his only grammatical problem he's got it goin' on!

- Reel

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsldcd View Post
I hate ebonics and I end conversation with anyone that speaks it. I just say, I'm soory I cannot understand a word you are saying.
... with every comment about black people, Muslim people, homosexuals, or our president, it just gets clearer and clearer what your real motivations are. Perhaps you will live in an all white world in the next life.

As to the topic at hand, I will step up and say that it does bother me when people say "ax" instead of "ask". I'm a stickler for grammar, though, and I think I see words in my mind. So, when I see gross mispronunciations from any group, I wonder what word they are seeing in their mind.

To be clear - I certainly wouldn't end a conversation with someone over it.

3,004 posts, read 3,879,982 times
Quote:
Sorry, I meant "innernets".

"would of" --!!!! Is that worse than, or only as bad as, "It was just laying there"?
Don't things "lay" while people and animals "lie?" Oy, I need review of that verb!

What is an "innernet"?

Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,682,388 times
Quote:

Ooooh.... you are picky. I think you might even top me!

Old 10-17-2009, 05:41 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,095,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
You've got to explain its to me. That sounds funny but its a correct sentence. I thought it's was a contraction for 'it is'. Anytime you mean 'it is' you should spell it it's. Am I wrong about that?

- Reel

PS - What is (or what's) the definition of is?
Ha, it depends, doesnt it?

"It's" is a contraction for "it is." It's just that so often you see, you know, "The heffalump roared it's terrible roar."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.