Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My thoughts on this situation are.........
No way. Criminal charges should not be made. That is just Fascist. 0 0%
A warning from law enforcement to the parents is appropriate. 5 25.00%
I'm care-free or neutral about this. It isn't a big deal. 3 15.00%
The parents should be rotting in prison for a while. The kids need counseling and reform school. 2 10.00%
Arrests should be made and a judge or jury should decide what to do. 10 50.00%
Other opinions. 1 5.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 08:53 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,931,506 times

Advertisements

LOL I just read that the Sheriff wants to charge someone involved with the balloon incident with crimes. They also want a search warrant for the house. Ugh right. I'm pretty annoyed by this considering it was an accident and it was the kids that said that the brother was in the balloon which seemed somewhat impossible to begin with.

Sheriff: Charges will be filed in balloon saga - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_boy_in_balloon - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times
My feelings on this type of incident would normally be that the parents should be charged, especially when there seems to be a little media whorishness going on with these parents, but when I was watching the interviews with the rescuers they brought up something I had not considered. They said from their perspective pressing charges could result in people not calling the authorities for help when needed, or may wait too long to call for help to avoid charges being pressed. I hadn't thought of it before.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 PM

689 posts, read 742,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
LOL I just read that the Sheriff wants to charge someone involved with the balloon incident with crimes. They also want a search warrant for the house. Ugh right. I'm pretty annoyed by this considering it was an accident and it was the kids that said that the brother was in the balloon which seemed somewhat impossible to begin with.

Sheriff: Charges will be filed in balloon saga - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/ap_on_re_us/us_boy_in_balloon - broken link)
You seem pretty sure that it's an accident. These people are media hounds, and there is a lot that doesn't add up. You listed one thing yourself (seemed somewhat impossible to begin with). The cops couldn't possibly know this when they get the 9-1-1 call (which was the families 3rd call BTW). The father would certainly know this though. He would know the capabilities of the balloon. All the cops know (at this point) is that the kid flew off in a giant balloon. You would think the father would know the payload as there is equipment onboard. There are many more like why the kid wasn't out there with the entire family during what appeared to be quite a family event and no one asking, "Hey...where's Falcon?" before they "launched". It was being video taped, the other kids were out there, etc. The "normal" family thing would be to make sure everyone was out there at such a "cool" thing that necessitated being video taped. And...Dad doesn't do any quality checks before he pulls the cord? He doesn't make sure the tether cords are fastened? Whatever.

Mom and Dad should take a polygraph. That would shut people up if they both took one and passed with flying colors.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:25 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
They wasted resources and got the entire country in a one day scramble. They needed their 15 minutes of fame and got it. Now they have to pay the piper. Or the tornado....whatever.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:27 PM

The only problem with this is that if it was set off deliberately then it could interfere with aircraft and possible cause a crash.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:33 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
Quote:

you are "sure" it was an accident. A lot of others seem "sure" it was a publicity stunt. We don't know. I'm interested to see that the sheriff thinks. If they find evidence that it was done on purpose, then, sure, send him/them to trial. My guess, it will all be circumstantial evidence and won't be enough to convict them of anything.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
The only problem with this is that if it was set off deliberately then it could interfere with aircraft and possible cause a crash.
People could get killed trying to "save" someone who doesn't need saving. Look how much time, money and manpower was wasted IF it was a hoax. There are plenty-o-things besides just it could possibly cause a crash which is also obviously extremely concerning. A number of things could happen.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:39 PM

If the have nothing to hide, they should TAKE POLYGRAPHS. I'd bet you that they wouldn't do it if they were full of b.s. They would say this: We would like to, but our attorney told us not to. He/she says they aren't accurate.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:41 PM

The Sheriff and his men searched the house before they went on a man-hunt. That is their fault for not looking closely at the attic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
People could get killed trying to "save" someone who doesn't need saving. Look how much time, money and manpower was wasted IF it was a hoax. There are plenty-o-things besides just it could possibly cause a crash which is also obviously extremely concerning. A number of things could happen.

Old 10-17-2009, 09:42 PM

Polygraphs are not as accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDTD2.0 View Post
If the have nothing to hide, they should TAKE POLYGRAPHS. I'd bet you that they wouldn't do it if they were full of b.s. They would say this: We would like to, but our attorney told us not to. He/she says they aren't accurate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies