Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:45 AM

2,667 posts, read 6,780,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
We know they are lying.
And so do we who voted for and insist that single-payer be implemented sometime down the road for the good of our nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:51 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Why is being healthy a "right" even an issue? So we don't have the "right" to obtain reasonable means to being healthy? What is wrong with you people?
Of course you have the right to obtain reasonable means to being healthy.

You just do not have the right to make other pay for you.

Well actually soon enough you probably will.

By the way,in France the majority of people have private health insurance on top of paying for a public health system...and it is going broke.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:31 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dspguy View Post
While this was not directed at me, I do have a question.

Ultimately this will lead to not-for-profit doctors. Are you ok with under-qualified, would-be medical school rejects giving substandard health care?
?????

Not for profit doctors?

What gave you the idea that this will lead to not-for-profit doctors?

Here are some resources:
The Healing of America: A Global Quest for Better, Cheaper, and Fairer Health Care by T.R. Reid

See if your local library has a copy of the DVD Sick Around the World. PBS produced it.

Amazon.com: Taming the Beloved Beast: How Medical Technology Costs Are Destroying Our Health Care System (9780691142364): Daniel Callahan: Books

Amazon.com: Why Our Health Matters: A Vision of Medicine That Can Transform Our Future (9781594630668): M.D. Andrew Weil: Books

Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
We have the RIGHT to be healthy in the US. The undeniable rights of "Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness" as written in the Declaration of Independence.

We deny "life" at times to those with pre-exsisting conditions or the inablity to pay.

Currently this right is VERY limited.
The right to life has to do with someone actively taking it away. It does not equate to the right to someone else's labor.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:03 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,907,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Of course you have the right to obtain reasonable means to being healthy.

You just do not have the right to make other pay for you.

Well actually soon enough you probably will.

By the way,in France the majority of people have private health insurance on top of paying for a public health system...and it is going broke.
So let's do away with government completely. I don't want to pay a miliatary for you. I don't want to pay for you to drive on the interstate. I don't want to pay into funds that support your children. I don't want to pay anything that doesn't only benefit me.

Also, not true...the majority of people use the public clinics.

Not only that, but from a business stand point, many companies are pinched by trying to provide healthcare for their employees. If they don't provide healthcare, there is no incentive to work for said companies. If they do, they face fast rising insurance rates and a decrease in profit.

Many foreign companies simply won't do business in the US since the cost of healthcare is not subsidized by the state...thus it makes it unattractive to set up shop in the US.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The right to life has to do with someone actively taking it away. It does not equate to the right to someone else's labor.
Tell that to my dead uncle who was denied treatment by his insurance carrier.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:18 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Is food a right and shelter..... or since food doesnt cost as much we dont have people paying in debt from it.
Healthcare will never be "affordable" its only affordable when government can tax people who want something else then what the government tells you can have. Then followed by the same prices we have now if not highter but the government pays for it and everyone doesnt notice. Well they do sooner or later because everyones taxes went up and the standard of living goes down for those who are working because the government says we are broke. What is medicade and medicare.. am I missing something am I to believe these arent the currently "free" healthcare programs we have now for those who cant afford it. You want the prices to go down let me get my drugs from other countries. Let me work out a plan with my doctor and remove the insurance companies. Let the individual have some choices and remove some of the "fda" restrictions on drugs, trail drugs and most importantly CAP what you can sue for.

Old 10-20-2009, 12:24 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,056 times
Quote:
So let's do away with government completely. I don't want to pay a miliatary for you. I don't want to pay for you to drive on the interstate. I don't want to pay into funds that support your children. I don't want to pay anything that doesn't only benefit me.

Also, not true...the majority of people use the public clinics.

Not only that, but from a business stand point, many companies are pinched by trying to provide healthcare for their employees. If they don't provide healthcare, there is no incentive to work for said companies. If they do, they face fast rising insurance rates and a decrease in profit.

Many foreign companies simply won't do business in the US since the cost of healthcare is not subsidized by the state...thus it makes it unattractive to set up shop in the US.
That's actually a good thing! Makes room for more American companies to pick up the slack. Part of the problem here in this country is that we allow foreign businesses to operate in our country while they take tons of money out of our economy and inject into theirs.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
That's actually a good thing! Makes room for more American companies to pick up the slack. Part of the problem here in this country is that we allow foreign businesses to operate in our country while they take tons of money out of our economy and inject into theirs.
That's actually a bad thing! That means that they have lower cost, do not employ Americans, and help create the net loss of businesses in America. Part of the problem is that both American and foreign firms are leaving thus, not injecting money into our economy.

Old 10-20-2009, 05:47 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,787,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
I could really care less where a company is based if they are employing Americans. That means Americans have paychecks and aren't on unemployment, they're able to put food on the table for their family, etc.

Sure it would be nice if the company was based in America but as long as it brings jobs...I could care less where they're based.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies