Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 04:03 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Is there some reason you think reimbursements would be low? .
Yes.

Medicare.

Prime example

Old 10-28-2009, 04:10 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Yes.

Medicare.

Prime example
So you're saying there's no way we can up the reimbursements?

That's the point I'm trying to make.
We can up the reimbursements under a single-payer system.

I'm all for upping them when it comes to primary care physicians.

I think a lot of physicians and hospitals have been spoiled by the insurance companies. They know if they raise their prices, the insurance companies will more than likely end up paying it and passing those increases on to their customers.

I don't see why doctors are so above everyone else where they can't see a reduction in their income. It's not like they're going to be living on the street or anything.

Doctors in other countries with better health care systems than ours make a good living. Some would like to be paid more but what person doesn't think they should be paid more money?

I'm also for subsidizing the education of doctors. I think more doctors would be okay with a pay reduction if they knew their education was being subsidized and they wouldn't have to wrangle with insurance companies when it comes to caring for their patients.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
So you're saying there's no way we can up the reimbursements?
Convince the US Government. The Congress and the President want to REDUCE Medicare reimbursements more.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:30 PM

Quote:
I don't see why doctors are so above everyone else where they can't see a reduction in their income. It's not like they're going to be living on the street or anything.
I / We know a NUMBER of Doctors, commonly Primary Care Physicians (PCP's) who have had to close their practices because of the reduction in reimbursements - and not just by Medicare.

I am representing 6 PCP physicians right now in their bankruptcies - personal and business. 2 have had their homes foreclosed and are currently living with family and friends.

IMO, it is clear, you are unaware of what the real world for physicians really is. You have evidently bought into the hype that every doctor is wealthy.

Well I have to tell you that PCP's are the poorest - financially - doctors on the block.

Yet, they are the ones most needed.

Please - learn more about the issue.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:30 PM

433 posts, read 459,703 times
Quote:
Convince the US Government. The Congress and the President want to REDUCE Medicare reimbursements more.
Pardon me for jumping into the middle of your conversation- I'm quite enjoying the give and take.............

IMO, The primary reason that Democrats see single payer as essential is because doctors can currently choose to not accept Medicare patients since reimbursement rates are below the level of cost. Government must be able to contain the future cost of Medicare by reducing payment levels and enrolling young and healthy adults as premium paying participants. It may not be called 'Medicare' at that point but the goal will be the same- reduce government costs. With the government as single payer there is now a monopoly; we decide the level of payment and you find a way to stay in business- or quit.
As for co-pay; under the proposal by the first Clinton administration MDs who accepted payment from anyone other than the government system were fined/punished- no private money allowed in the system. I suspect the end result will be the same with this one.
A few thoughts on solutions:
Operating alongside the current system;
Government paid training for PAs and NPs with needs based (free/low cost) clinics staffed by the government trained folks. Those trained owe 4 years of public service at a reduced wage (perhaps based on Military salaries?). This takes care of the poor and elderly who can't afford private insurance. If this isn't cheap enough, go to a totally military style system with 'Medics' as the first line of medical care with fewer PAs and NPs to provide advanced level care. Move the Medicare money into a fund to provide care beyond the primary level.
Moderate reform to the current system;
Perhaps a very small surcharge on private insurance to provide some funding for the public care system (0.25% of premiums?).
Allow insurance companies to cross state lines to increase competition.
Speed up electronic record keeping plans.
Tort reform to reduce MD costs and decrease unnecessary testing.

This allows those who can afford the cost to support our Excellent medical care system. I have personally had to live with a socialized system and really don't want to do so again.

Dano

Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
I / We know a NUMBER of Doctors, commonly Primary Care Physicians (PCP's) who have had to close their practices because of the reduction in reimbursements - and not just by Medicare.

I am representing 6 PCP physicians right now in their bankruptcies - personal and business. 2 have had their homes foreclosed and are currently living with family and friends.

IMO, it is clear, you are unaware of what the real world for physicians really is. You have evidently bought into the hype that every doctor is wealthy.

Well I have to tell you that PCP's are the poorest - financially - doctors on the block.

Yet, they are the ones most needed.

Please - learn more about the issue.
Did you not see where I said increasing the reimbursements for family physicians?

I know primary care physicians are the lowest paid.
I don't need you to tell me that.

I love how you just took that one part out of my reply.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:49 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,009,390 times
PCP's need to be compensated differently. Example.. an appointment with my endocronolgist.. $250.. appointment with my PCP $60. That is a little more than 4x's the amount...

Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
PCP's need to be compensated differently. Example.. an appointment with my endocronolgist.. $250.. appointment with my PCP $60. That is a little more than 4x's the amount...

That's horrible.

I wish we had more preventive care physicians. A lot of them end up working for corporations trying to figure out ways to get the company's health care costs down.

Think of how much good they would do if they worked with patients.

There's No Excuse: Americans Need Preventive Health System Overhaul

Old 10-28-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Did you not see where I said increasing the reimbursements for family physicians?

I know primary care physicians are the lowest paid.
And I love the way you do not READ what I wrote: Sure, increasing the reimbursements to Family Doctors / PCP's would be great.

But, it is not going to happen. The history, with Medicare being the example, is to REDUCE reimbursements - let me repeat this - the history is to REDUCE REIMBURSEMENTS TO FAMILY CARE / PCP'S. This is an indisputable fact.

Will reimbursement rise in the future (keep in mind there is not going to be a single payer system)? Maybe. But, not with Medicare. And as those reimbursements go farther and farther down, more and more seniors are going to lose their physicians.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:23 PM

Quote:
That's horrible.

I wish we had more preventive care physicians. A lot of them end up working for corporations trying to figure out ways to get the company's health care costs down.
PCP stands for Primary Care Physican.

It does not stand for Preventive Care Physican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies