Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 09:54 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
Even more astounding are the people who pawn all of these people off as the "religious right" and claim they are ignorant because they themselves can't see how shallow and self serving their own political ideologies are.
That's all well and good, but do such Christians realize that their core values are being betrayed by the Republicans?

Just think of how willingly the party lies or capitalizes on errant statements and twists them in order to perpetuate greed for the wealthiest amongst us.

While the poor blacks who vote Democrat may line up for applications to get handouts, so too do the wealthiest line up for their own handouts behind the facade of lobbyists.

I just don't see any moral high ground in that vote and would think they would rather vote to help the poorest (mentioned over 2,000 times in the Bible), steward the land wisely (directed through the Bible), end usury (directed through the Bible), and end the immorality of bigotry. It's long been the progressive parties that have had to take up the mantle to liberate women, minorities, and the oppressed from subjugation. That obviously gets abused by the liberals today, but the core moral imperative is not lost.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,591,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
People vote along religious lines, end of story really. Without much information to go on and without research people will vote for those they think might express their values. If you are not Christian to many hard core people, it doesn't matter what you do or what you believe, you are are the enemy. The thing is many people don't realize that stereotyping a set of values based on expressions in certain areas of life (political, religious, employment, and on) is often an incorrect assumption, even worse when many don't make any allowance that people can lie.
So basically, they listen to their Pastor or an evangelist to tell them what to do? Even regarding the economy? I really don't get this, have watched the film "Elmer Gantry" (beware of false prophets), but didn't realize how prevalent it still is in the american south.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
1. Poor people are religious because their life sucks and they have nothing good going for them, religion gives them hope.
2. Republicans tend to preach Morals and family values which is in line with what church teaches

Old 10-20-2009, 10:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
My guess is since they voted for democrats most of their life they wanted change. Maybe the next thread is why in dying inner cities do poor seems to still voye democrat really.Most likely it because as Clinton pointed out 80% of poverty is in two rural regions and 80% of federal aid goes to the 20% in cities;is my guess.Once you are dependent on the system its as hard to get off of as drugs.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:07 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
God and guns.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,623,707 times
If a person ran for elected office and had fabulous ideas that would almost guarantee a turnaround in your community (or country, for higher office) but was an open Atheist, I can guarantee that person would lose. He/She could have tons of experience, be very educated, have a proven track record and (I know this is stretching) be very honest, but they wouldn't stand a chance.

This is very unfortunate. These people who are 'faith based voters' don't care about the economy, they don't care about the issues, they only care about whether or not the person is a Christian and what church they go to. This isn't everyone...but it's enough to sway the vote in one direction or another.

I'm hoping that one day, religion won't matter at all in elections but I doubt it will happen for a long, long time.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 AM

1,317 posts, read 2,308,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
My guess is since they voted for democrats most of their life they wanted change. Maybe the next thread is why in dying inner cities do poor seems to still voye democrat really.Most likely it because as Clinton pointed out 80% of poverty is in two rural regions and 80% of federal aid goes to the 20% in cities;is my guess.Once you are dependent on the system its as hard to get off of as drugs.
It is really what the individual values more:

-Programs and relief for the poor (Democrats)
-Preservation of family values and morals (Republicans)

-Since religion is stupid, if I were poor, I would vote democrat.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:13 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,583,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
So basically, they listen to their Pastor or an evangelist to tell them what to do? Even regarding the economy? I really don't get this, have watched the film "Elmer Gantry" (beware of false prophets), but didn't realize how prevalent it still is in the american south.
That seems kind of like listening to Obama when he says he will improve services for hundreds of millions and add an additional 30 million at no additional cost.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:14 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigm1841 View Post
It is really what the individual values more:

-Programs and relief for the poor (Democrats)
-Preservation of family values and morals (Republicans)

-Since religion is stupid, if I were poor, I would vote democrat.
Here's what so ridiculous... it's kind of hard to promote family values if you can't afford to maintain the family in the first place.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 AM

2,229 posts, read 1,686,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
That's all well and good, but do such Christians realize that their core values are being betrayed by the Republicans?

Just think of how willingly the party lies or capitalizes on errant statements and twists them in order to perpetuate greed for the wealthiest amongst us.

While the poor blacks who vote Democrat may line up for applications to get handouts, so too do the wealthiest line up for their own handouts behind the facade of lobbyists.

I just don't see any moral high ground in that vote and would think they would rather vote to help the poorest (mentioned over 2,000 times in the Bible), steward the land wisely (directed through the Bible), end usury (directed through the Bible), and end the immorality of bigotry. It's long been the progressive parties that have had to take up the mantle to liberate women, minorities, and the oppressed from subjugation. That obviously gets abused by the liberals today, but the core moral imperative is not lost.
Once again, you make the presumption that poor republicans motivations and political ideologies are driven by religion... which as I stated before is nothing more than a tactic implemented by the left to attempt to invalidate their opinions and make their opinions invalid based on the guise of ignorance.

Its astounding how many people believe this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies