Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 09:13 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,660,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Well guys, so far the only thing that I would consider a failure is not closing Guantanamo by the end of the year like he said he would. Everything else? It's still in play, you can't claim someone failed at something when it's still being played out. But then, most logical people understand that, right?

I guess high unemployment, high deficits, spying on citizens, running a corrupt government, and failing in international policy is a good thing? Great- good to know what is important to you.

Do you work for a living? If so, I would think the economy and jobs would be important. Maybe it is just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:15 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
You are the one claiming that the Democrats have extended their hands numerous times to the GOP and now you are claiming they have no role in the process, thereby meaning that reaching out hands to them is meaningless.

You cant keep your own story straight from one posting to another, and its on the same dam thread..

What did you expect, its the party of total chaos.

And they have not received their jumping orders from Mao Se Dung Obama this week as he is busy making up their orders.

One of the largest failures is his lack of decision making skills.
Not making a decision on Afghanistan while our troops are getting hammered because of his weakness is insane.

Face it, the liberals are in trouble and they know it. There dirty hands are all over everyone gone bad.

Hey, that may be the new liberals theme.

Liberals - Everything Gone Bad

Old 10-21-2009, 09:16 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Yes, they were. First, recession then jobless recovery then Iraq then Plame then Schiavo then Katrina then Foley, then the American people started to get smart. A little too late, though...
Funny because the unemployment under Bush was 1/2 of what it is currently, so if it was such a failure, then what are you calling Obamas? Oooh I get it, Obama is to incompetent to compare employment percentages to Bush.
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
The only period in which anything positive was accomplished. Minimum wage bill, etchics reform, CAFE standards, veterans benefits. Would have been more were it not for constant filibusters and veto threats.
Wow, imagine the odds that many of the items you listed, would have negative affect on employment numbers, and you call this positive. Many unemployed currently might have a different opinion than you as to what is considered positive unemployment outlook.

Keep posting, you are by far one of the funniest spinners here on cd..

Last edited by pghquest; 10-21-2009 at 09:28 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I guess high unemployment, high deficits, spying on citizens, running a corrupt government, and failing in international policy is a good thing? Great- good to know what is important to you.

Do you work for a living? If so, I would think the economy and jobs would be important. Maybe it is just me.
Actually, I posted a link to an article in another thread about how I think it was 80% of economists believe the economy is getting better. As I said, this is an ongoing process, so to think that he "failed" at the stimulus is all conjecture. Spying on citizens? You mean that good ole Patriot Act? Corrupt government? Can you explain this one? Failing in international policy? How so?

Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Actually, I posted a link to an article in another thread about how I think it was 80% of economists believe the economy is getting better. As I said, this is an ongoing process, so to think that he "failed" at the stimulus is all conjecture. Spying on citizens? You mean that good ole Patriot Act? Corrupt government? Can you explain this one? Failing in international policy? How so?
The survey for the economists involved 2500 members, 35 claimed it was getting better, 9 said it wasnt, 2,454 did not answer or were not asked.

Be careful when you repeat the 80% figure because it ignores the other 98% that simply didnt answer the poll..

Old 10-21-2009, 10:27 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,704,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Failed?

1. Failed to reduce unemployment. They now talk about a fictional "jobs saved", which of course, cannot be measured

2. Failed to raise personal incomes

3. Failed to prevent Iran from getting the nuclear bomb'

4. Failed in negotiating with the Russians to exert leverage (we had it with the missle system) on Iran

5. Failed to be bipartisan- "I won" . Federal bailout money directed to democratic counties over republican counties.

6. Failed to run a clean government- tax cheats galore

7. Failed to close Gitmo

8. Failed to deliver on healthcare reform

9. Failed to re-negotiate NAFTA

10. Failed the constitution by creating a zillion "czars" (even the libs are wondering about that one) and targeting certain citizens and news organizations for reprisals for failing to support the Fuhrer.

11. Failed in the promise of transparency- no information available to public at all. A managed, docile press facilitates this. No information on health care bill on internet for us to personally read (it could be scanned in).

12. Failed to contain the deficit and the debt

13. Failed to prevent deterioration in Afganistan. Afganistan was more stable under Bush (Guess what Obama- the terrorists have changed thier main theater of interest. Did you think they would just go away?)

Now can you tell me what he has done? Obama owns the economy and is responsible now. The time to blame everyone else is over. Like a typical lib, his administration will be focused on the past and blaming other people, rather than offering solutions.

Wow. You really don't get how slowly legislation works. What happens when all these things which are in process come to completion?

Will you then make a list claiming "succeeded" before every line?

This is what annoys me about you people.

Reagan inherited an economic calamity created in large-part by over-extended liberal policies. Unemployment peaked over TWO YEARS into Reagan's presidency. Reagan's approval polls dropped dramatically in those two years, yet he's credited with fixing the economy.

Obama has inherited an economic calamity created in large-part by markets being too loosened through over-extended conservative policies that became too much of a good thing after 30 years.

Why can't you get beyond your ideology to see that Obama is simply balancing the system in much the way Reagan did.

Unemployment may well peak over 2 years into his presidency, but I'm pretty sure when all is said and done the economy will be better off because of his actions just like it was better off for different reasons because of Reagan's.

I just see so many parallels between these two presidents and the notion that they both launched a new era after the collapse of an old one. No doubt we'll need conservatism to balance it out someday, but for now this is what's needed.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:32 AM

989 posts, read 2,498,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecvMatt View Post
Me too, in order to fail, you actually have to try and do something.
CLASSIC!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:59 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,471,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I did point out one failure...he said if the stimulus (porkulus) wasn't passed unemployment would go over 8 percent...well it passed, it went over 10 percent...
More cleanup in Aisle-5. In January of this year -- even before the Inauguration -- Obama was warning that we confronted double-digit unemployment rates if swift action was not taken. Republicans at the time accused him of exaggerating the situation and using scare tactics to whip up support for his proposed stimulus bill. Most private sources at the time were projecting a 2009 peak in the 8.0% to 8.25% range. Nine months later, the right-wing decides to claim that Obama promised the rate wouldn't go over 8%, and they now criticize his economic team for not having foreseen the possibility of double-digit unemployment rates. The whole bit is a complete hoax and contradiction of actual fact. It is repeated so often only because so many are mere nodes at the end of the right-wing disinformation network. They let manufactured disinformation be piped into their heads and then dutifully pass it on as if it were true. Sad...

Old 10-21-2009, 01:02 PM

921 posts, read 1,132,020 times
Where did Obama fail us?

People are complaining that he failed but not showing any proof?

Can someone please provide some information that would prove his failures.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:05 PM

429 posts, read 1,116,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imalert View Post
Where did Obama fail us?

People are complaining that he failed but not showing any proof?

Can someone please provide some information that would prove his failures.
I think the people who say he has failed....I think its mostly wishful thinking. I'm not happy with how Obama is doing thus far. I think some things he could have done better, simplier, etc. But I wouldn't say he's failing.

I want to give him at least another 6 months. Then, it'd be 18 months in his presidency and some clear results of whether or not his policies are really being implemented and working effectively will start to reveal itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies