Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 02:36 PM

436 posts, read 874,327 times

Advertisements

Obama not yet sure of Afghanistan troop decision timing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 02:40 PM

989 posts, read 2,498,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemeatball View Post
Unless the principles of community organizing are transferable to the battlefield, don't expect brilliance here. The guy has zero military experience.

Old 10-20-2009, 02:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Obama is not sure of anything.

I have to admit that I'm a little surprised at his reluctance to lead. Even though I didn't vote for him and generally don't like his policies, i'm a little flummoxed that he's sitting in the back row of the classroom, instead of leading the class in discussion. Count me as one of those that thought he at least had some leadership ability (although I acknowledge he has no experience to back up that ability). I figured he'd step up to the plate once elected. I'm not seeing any indication of a true leader so far.

Thus, I am not surprised at the two steps forward, three steps back leadership style on Afghanistan.

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 10-20-2009 at 03:26 PM..

Old 10-20-2009, 02:59 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Unless the principles of community organizing are transferable to the battlefield, don't expect brilliance here. The guy has zero military experience.

sorry but all US presidents do not have military experience and wars fought and the middle east are not easy as americans like to think including you.

also leaders in afghan..... ask this admin to hold off on extra troops

Old 10-20-2009, 03:16 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
relax somebody will eventually tell him what to do.at least i hope so cause otherwise he will do nothing.think he froze up on us? i mean this is a war not a social invitation

Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,674 times
I guess the warmongering peanut gallery wants more blood and guts.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:22 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Most of you couldn't find Afghanistan on a map much less name the three largest ethnic groups, so you sudden expertise in what should or shouldn't be done is more than a bit suspect.

Given that today was the first time that the Karzai government has agreed to a run-off after literally stealing millions of votes and with the run-off election yet to be scheduled, I for one would think that waiting to see if there is a legitimate government which to form a counter-insurgency effort around might be worth the wait.

Fools rush in where angels fear to tread...as he saying goes.

Old 10-20-2009, 03:28 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,029,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Most of you couldn't find Afghanistan on a map much less name the three largest ethnic groups, so you sudden expertise in what should or shouldn't be done is more than a bit suspect.

Given that today was the first time that the Karzai government has agreed to a run-off after literally stealing millions of votes and with the run-off election yet to be scheduled, I for one would think that waiting to see if there is a legitimate government which to form a counter-insurgency effort around might be worth the wait.

i know hell i got 2 nephews over there and have a interest in making sure they are not forgoten by thier gov. screw the elections this is a war not a social invitation

Old 10-20-2009, 03:31 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,829,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
i know hell i got 2 nephews over there and have a interest in making sure they are not forgoten by thier gov. screw the elections this is a war not a social invitation
this is war and death comes with it, hope your family makes t thru but war with countries like that wiill have no end

Old 10-20-2009, 03:32 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

Even with the election results being uncertain, someone in Afghanistan is still running the show. While I think its probably prudent to *briefly* wait and see the outcome of the runoff, I don't think that political turmoil is necessarily a good enough reason to stymie operations in the country. If a huge window of opportunity were to present itself, such as a huge infusion of Pakistani troops into the mix and significant gains could be made in the fight as a result, the blame would fall on the American's for not being there to hold up its end of the bargain. Obama risks quite a bit by dragging his feet. I think the election results are merely an excuse for Obama to hesitate to make a decision in order to give him time to calculate his political capital (or risk) on the issue. Nothing more, nothing less.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies