Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 03:36 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times

Advertisements

I voted for Obama and am glad I did. But I agree 100% with Yeledaf on this one. Obama inherited a ****ty situation. He needs to listen to Joe Biden on this one and get the hell out of Afghanistan. It is a no-win situation. Plus, I think most of Al-queda has gone to Pakistan.

All anyone has to do is read some history on the Vietnam war and then read some history on the Russian invasion of Afghanistan. The U.S. should pull out all troops now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 03:46 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,712,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Obama is caught in a trap that he cannot escape. If he withdraws the troops, Generals will say we could have won if we just would have committed, just like in Vietnam. If he puts more troops in, he will invariably lose (read the history of Afghanistan) and he will be scorned for fighting a war he could not win. He cannot make a good decision here, so in my opinion he should choose the humanitarian decision and get our troops out of harms way.
Who cares what the generals say? What matters at the end of the day is if we're fighting a winnable war for a just cause. We're not. Perhaps if Bush had spent all of his energy looking for Al Queda in Afghanistan starting on 9/12/01, rather than invading Iraq, things would be different. But that's water under the bridge. The U.S. should get out of Afghanistan now.

Old 10-21-2009, 04:26 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
So it's Bush's fault that Obama dithers.

Predictable, but hardly original.

And still the soldiers die.

Playing dumb doesn't fit you very well. 7+ years of Bush dithering didn't concern you.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:34 PM

2,479 posts, read 3,235,949 times
Quote:
So go visit the other threads. I note you hang around here, though. Why?
Because, you are wrong. But, I note you are stubborn in your opinion and thoughts, which are wrong headed. Where did you receive your brainwashing? so we can all stay away from it.
You keep harping, soldiers die. I already told you soldiers will die during the decision making process. and yet, you don't understand that.
Obama dithers? I think it's more like some people in this forum that dither, don't you?

Old 10-21-2009, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Who cares what the generals say? What matters at the end of the day is if we're fighting a winnable war for a just cause. We're not. Perhaps if Bush had spent all of his energy looking for Al Queda in Afghanistan starting on 9/12/01, rather than invading Iraq, things would be different. But that's water under the bridge. The U.S. should get out of Afghanistan now.
People would have thought that Authorities would have detained or arrested members of the Bin Laden family for questioning about his where-abouts. Another ball dropped by the previous administration.

Bin Laden Family Evacuated - CBS News

Bin Laden Family 'Evacuated' From US | Home | Sky News

Bin Ladens allowed out of U.S. after 9-11

Old 10-21-2009, 05:55 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Yes, since January 20, 2009, the deaths of American military personnel cannot be accepted as conditions of war.

Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
1.To do what? Kill the Taliban? Like there's a finite number and no recruitment?

2. To build a stable government in Afghanistan? Composed of whom?

3. To protect the troops we already have there? Why not protect them all, and bring them home?

4. Or to provide cover for a President who hasn't a clue...

So far, no one has seriously questioned number 4. But plenty of posters hate me for raising the point...

Weird.
1) Did you support the invasion of Iraq?

2) Did you vote for George W. Bush in 2004?

Because if you answer "yes" to either question you have no right to accuse others, or President Obama, of anything. You can say he is a warmonger and a fool for sending troops to Afghanistan, but Bush was clearly the same for sending them to Iraq and creating the disastrous conditions that President Obama inherited from the neocons in Afghanistan. After 7 years they accomplished exactly NOTHING in Afghanistan.

In short, like many on the right, you are a hypocrite

Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
1) Did you support the invasion of Iraq?

2) Did you vote for George W. Bush in 2004?

Because if you answer "yes" to either question you have no right to accuse others, or President Obama, of anything. You can say he is a warmonger and a fool for sending troops to Afghanistan, but Bush was clearly the same for sending them to Iraq and creating the disastrous conditions that President Obama inherited from the neocons in Afghanistan. After 7 years they accomplished exactly NOTHING in Afghanistan.

In short, like many on the right, you are a hypocrite
Can you explain why it's more important to point out that someone is a hypocrite, and that they supported a president who did it wrong, than it is to discuss the road that should be taken now to ensure we start doing it right?

Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Can you explain why it's more important to point out that someone is a hypocrite, and that they supported a president who did it wrong, than it is to discuss the road that should be taken now to ensure we start doing it right?
You may not think this, but, maybe this is why President Obama is taking the time needed, to make sure he tries to do the right thing. People who begin these threads usually are hypocrites, especially when they think their party or belief is righteous, and especially when there are many others (threads) like this one. They must be thinking they're going to pad their reputation by making outlandish charges and misrepresentations of the facts to acquire new rep points by others. Rats will follow other rats when a ship is sinking.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:59 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,525,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Keegan View Post
Can you explain why his position has been one of trying to pin the blame for 7 years of inaction on President Obama?

I cant. But I sure agree with him that more troops into Afghanistan is not the answer. I've not heard anything else from him that explains his position, other than he is now opposed to sending more troops there.

I seriously doubt his position would be the same were Sen. McCain elected President. On that I can only speculate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies