Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 06:30 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Just curious. With the current debt rising and yearly deficits rising at current spending levels for social programs, how do you propose to pay for national healthcare, keep medicare and medicaid solvent, and maintain social security?

It seems as though the additional expenditures from a national health care plan will be the death toll for the nation, as we cannot even maintain social security and medicare beyond 2030, even without additional massive spending.

Solutions, please? The math seems to point to insolvency, which helps no one in the end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 06:35 PM

745 posts, read 1,438,196 times
Social Security is a GONER with or without Natl. Healthcare. Unsustainable. Wave bye bye because it is gone. I am in my 30's and have no fantasy of benefitting from Social Security.

SS is a Govt. program that failed. Just like EVERY Govt. program.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:36 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,309,423 times
They don't expect to pay for it. They expect me to pay for it.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:37 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
With single-payer, it can be paid for in the following way:
Quote:
A universal public system would be financed in the following way: The public funds already funneled to Medicare and Medicaid would be retained. The difference, or the gap between current public funding and what we would need for a universal health care system, would be financed by a payroll tax on employers (about 7%) and an income tax on individuals (about 2%). The payroll tax would replace all other employer expenses for employees’ health care, which would be eliminated. The income tax would take the place of all current insurance premiums, co-pays, deductibles, and other out-of-pocket payments. For the vast majority of people, a 2% income tax is less than what they now pay for insurance premiums and out-of-pocket payments such as co-pays and deductibles, particularly if a family member has a serious illness. It is also a fair and sustainable contribution.
Single-Payer FAQ | Physicians for a National Health Program

While I like single-payer, I also like the German health care system.
It's a lot like our "system" except the sickness funds (kind of like health insurance companies) are not allowed to make a profit and this keeps costs down. They only exist to pay claims. They have to accept everyone who wants to join their fund. Employees and employers contribute to the monthly premium and if someone is laid off, the government pays the premium while the worker looks for a job.

Too bad there is only two bills in Congress that can seriously make a difference in this country: cut costs and cover everyone. H.R. 676. in the House/S. 703 in the Senate

Old 10-20-2009, 06:39 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
Taxes , fees , etc . There IS no other way .

Old 10-20-2009, 06:40 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
While I like single-payer, I also like the German health care system.
It's a lot like our "system" except the sickness funds (kind of like health insurance companies) are not allowed to make a profit and this keeps costs down. They only exist to pay claims. They have to accept everyone who wants to join their fund. Employees and employers contribute to the monthly premium and if someone is laid off, the government pays the premium while the worker looks for a job.
I am rather fond of the German model as well - I lived in Germany for a few years. Running health insurance as a nonprofit makes all kinds of sense.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM

664 posts, read 773,586 times
They don't. It's not going to be paid for in anyone's lifetime. It will be added to the national debt, just like everything else.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:41 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemcnyc View Post
Social Security is a GONER with or without Natl. Healthcare. Unsustainable. Wave bye bye because it is gone. I am in my 30's and have no fantasy of benefitting from Social Security.

SS is a Govt. program that failed. Just like EVERY Govt. program.
SS did not "fail". It was bankrupted. It was embezzled by politicians over many years, and we did nothing to stop them although we knew it was going on.

But, you are correct. By the time you reach 65, there will be no SS.

As to how would liberals pay for healthcare? To quote from a group looking for handouts who admitted not knowing where Obama gets the money: "from his stash."

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,786,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
I am rather fond of the German model as well - I lived in Germany for a few years. Running health insurance as a nonprofit makes all kinds of sense.
Doesn't it though? Once you remove the profit factor...prices can drop dramatically.

I just don't get people who actively defend the health insurance companies in this country. I don't know why you'd put your life or your health in the hands of someone who has an incentive to deny you care.

Old 10-20-2009, 06:43 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,425,530 times
People pay taxes for it. People don't pay for insurance any more. People don't pay for Medicare any more. People don't pay for Medicaid anymore. People don't pay inflated prices for medical care because the hospitals have to pass the cost for those who can't pay on to those who can pay anymore. People don't play inflated prices for drugs anymore. People don't pay doctors fees that include personnel whose job it is to sort through all the insurance companies and plans anymore.

You don't realize that with universal health care, there would no longer be any Medicare, Medicaid or separate veterans' or native health care anymore? We wouldn't even need the medical part of workman's comp anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies