Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 104 89.66%
No 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:53 PM

3,857 posts, read 4,215,542 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
Gee, "Fox News Rules" and you display the intellectual capacity of a walnut. Go figure.

Marijuana has been a part of society as long as there has been a society, genius. That's thousands of years. Put down the bible and think for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
I am shocked to see 90% of people here think Marijuana should be legalized.
So, in one of the reddest parts of the country, the Oklahoma City area, one online poll asks a similiar question with 73% in favor of legalization.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:33 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
As for cancer, I'll repeat again: One marijuana joint has 4 times more tar than a regular cigarette.

That's sort of the same argument people use about tea having more caffeine than coffee. Per pound, yes, per cup, no.

Who smokes the equivalent of pack of 20 joints a day? OK, I'm sure there is somebody, but your all-American, professional and working pot-smoking people don't. So a person who smokes a joint every night is getting the tar in the equivalent of four cigarettes. That's hardly cause for a major tar crisis.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:48 PM

2,420 posts, read 4,712,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
As for cancer, I'll repeat again: One marijuana joint has 4 times more tar than a regular cigarette.

That's sort of the same argument people use about tea having more caffeine than coffee. Per pound, yes, per cup, no.

Who smokes the equivalent of pack of 20 joints a day? OK, I'm sure there is somebody, but your all-American, professional and working pot-smoking people don't. So a person who smokes a joint every night is getting the tar in the equivalent of four cigarettes. That's hardly cause for a major tar crisis.

The type of people with whom you're trying to argue also conveniently ignore the fact that alcohol kills brain cells (proven), while THC fits into receptors in the brain (apparently made for it), like a key. Don't bother. They're beyond hope. The only consolation is that most of them are older and will be dead sooner rather than later.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:59 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creepsinc View Post
The type of people with whom you're trying to argue also conveniently ignore the fact that alcohol kills brain cells (proven), while THC fits into receptors in the brain (apparently made for it), like a key. Don't bother. They're beyond hope. The only consolation is that most of them are older and will be dead sooner rather than later.
Tell me about it. I'm in the midst of moving out of a temporary living situation. One of my roommates, whom I've known for years, is living proof of what alcohol does to the brain. She was sober for a few years, but since then she's become almost retarded from drinking. She's 46, and I don't think there's any undoing the damage now.

Old 10-26-2009, 07:09 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,521,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post

Excellent point, I never even weighed the medical risks as infrequent usage the only ones of concern are.........legal ones

Old 11-02-2009, 10:54 AM

41 posts, read 106,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenArlingtonPark View Post
I do not know about legalized but I do not think it should be a crime to smoke it or have it in your possession. If it is legalized it will be taxed.

Marijuana doesn't have to be legal to be taxed.
It should be taxed even if it's not legalized.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:06 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Legalize, regulate and tax. Works for alcohol and tobbacco. Should work for grass.

PS Leagalize all the rest as well. Use the tax money to help the folks that can't handle the drugs and let the rest alone. Like they say in new Hampshire: Live Free or Die!

Last edited by GregW; 11-02-2009 at 11:11 AM.. Reason: added line of text

Old 11-02-2009, 12:20 PM

305 posts, read 771,379 times
Why not?

Does anybody have a rebuttal to this very compelling argument as to why we should NOT legalize marijuana?

Old 11-02-2009, 01:07 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pug Life View Post
You keep saying "introducing" marijuana...it's already here! There are approx. 30,000,000 regular marijuana users in this country...it's already been introduced. All you're pushing for is the continued dominance of the murderous cartels over the marijuana trade.

Have you EVER read a history book? Don't you know ANYTHING about how much of a failure Alcohol prohibition was? Don't you know anything about how it led to crime? Don't you know anything about how when alcohol was legalized again that it brought BILLIONS to the economy? Don't you understand that legalization of marijuana will not increase marijuana usage by any significant amount while it will bring Billions in taxes and JOBS to the economy?

It's just stunning that someone can be so far from logic...
Obviously, I mean introducing it LEGALLY to society. It's stunning that someone can be so far from logic!

As I've said before, every time someone brings up alcohol when marijuana is the subject, I say why allow yet another problem into society? (Yes, I mean legally into society; I better say that so it's not misunderstood by some again.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies