Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should marijuana be legalized?
Yes 104 89.66%
No 12 10.34%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 07:44 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,013,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You dont find alot of angry bud smokers, either. Furthermore, picture yourself on a desolate stretch of road at 2AM and ask yourself: Who do you want driving towards you in the opposite lane, someone drunk, or someone stoned?
Unfortunately I have had to document far too many gruesome accident scenes caused by drivers under the influence of pot, coke, meth, and alcohol to seriously consider your question. My best friend in high school was killed by a pothead driving on the wrong side of the road. As a matter of fact, that event is one of the reasons I made a push towards a career in law enforcement. It is not fair that others have to suffer because someone else felt the need to drive while drunk or stoned.

Or you could just look at the train wreck that occurred near Chase, Maryland when some stoned engineers ran a signal and killed several passengers after a head on collision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Marijuana the gateway drug...yeah, okay. Just a cry from the rabid anti-marijuana people who don't really know anything about it, other than that it's 'bad'. Again, no real proof or evidence to back up this claim. It could be said that cigarettes or alcohol are gateway drugs as well but those are perfectly legal (and far more 'dangerous').
Alcohol and tobacco ARE gateway drugs. However, based on dependence and physical damage, marijuana and cocaine are actually less destructive than alcohol and tobacco. Heroin, and really the whole opiate family is what you what to avoid. I cannot even pathom why people would get involved with heroin abuse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 08:25 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,506,913 times
So just what is really the hold up in getting marijuana legalized? It is simply because too many politicians fear you will vote them out of office for wanting to be soft on drugs, if they start advocating legalizing marijuana in some way?

Old 10-22-2009, 09:57 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,425,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Unfortunately I have had to document far too many gruesome accident scenes caused by drivers under the influence of pot, coke, meth, and alcohol to seriously consider your question. My best friend in high school was killed by a pothead driving on the wrong side of the road. As a matter of fact, that event is one of the reasons I made a push towards a career in law enforcement. It is not fair that others have to suffer because someone else felt the need to drive while drunk or stoned.
Well, gee, you could very well say human beings have done every stupid thing imaginable under the sun and caused an accident to kill someone. So such an instance as your "pothead on the wrong side of the road" is quite possible but not representative of most people who operate a vehicle under the influence. So to somehow say that this would be representative of someone stoned is enough to make driving under the influence of marijuana illegal and on that I can agree. However, in most other instances, marijuana users would be driving slower and more carefully than those who are drunk. That does not excuse driving under the influence of anything and that was not my intent, it was to merely point out the difference betwen pot and booze. One causes reckless driving and aggression, the other actually causes caution if reducing the level of alertness at the same time. It's still a net loss in driving ability. I'm sorry you have an inherent bias against marijuana users but as a cop that is your job.

In many states small amounts of marijuana possession has been decriminalized. However, no matter where you go, Neanderthals who still think marijuana causes syphilis will still overreact and call for their arrest.

Thats life in America, where we lock up more people than anywhere else in the entire world

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,947,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Nice to see that this poll indicates that the tyrants who would restrict the freedoms of their neighbor in this regard are at the extreme fringe.
Oh, but are they really?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM

351 posts, read 375,042 times
It probably should be made legal. President Bush was not made illegal yet he f**ked up more Americans than marijuana could ever do..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:17 PM

1,747 posts, read 1,947,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So just what is really the hold up in getting marijuana legalized? It is simply because too many politicians fear you will vote them out of office for wanting to be soft on drugs, if they start advocating legalizing marijuana in some way?
Because the politicians are influenced by those who lobby them, the answer is NO.
The politicians obviously do NOT fear being voted out for appearing to be "soft on drugs" or much of anything else I guess.....so this is definitely, not it!
Just follow the money.......
Many, many corporations would much rather see that marijuana remain illegal since they either fear the competition if it's legal.....or they just cannot capitalize on it.
Some who surely oppose legalizing pot are:
Alcohol industry (oh no! Potheads spend too much $$ on weed that should be going to the bar and Anheuser-Busch)
Tobacco industry (pot is WAY better than smoking cigarettes)
Oil industry (fuel source that cannabis is)
Cotton industry (fiber source......for clothes, etc. hemp fiber is far better quality)
Logging industry (paper, wood, pulp, fiber, fuel)
Pharmaceutical industry (DEFINITELY don't want the competition)

And...of course, the govt. because that would mean both....an admission that their stance against marijuana for all these years was based on propaganda, LIES and unfounded claims along with the acknowlegment that MILLIONS and millions of Americans ended up in jail, prison and/or with a drug record that just might have contributed to wrecking their life......often from being caught in youth, with a little pot!
Fear of reparations?
Don't know.
Too many cops, judges, correctional officers, lawyers, probation officers and drug testing companies now have a lot of vested interest in keeping marijuana ILLEGAL.......and so too, I would imagine......the MILLIONS who grow it, sell it and love the tax-free income they're getting, as long as they don't get caught.

Last edited by Sign; 10-22-2009 at 10:26 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:22 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,694,677 times
yes

Old 10-22-2009, 10:49 PM

2,362 posts, read 2,985,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Good point. They'd be driving at 15 mph anyway.
That's why so many budsmokers drive hybrids.

Old 10-23-2009, 12:50 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,398,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinegaroon View Post
Not just for medical purposes, legalized like alcohol.
Yes.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:50 AM

24,869 posts, read 24,302,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post

Or you could just look at the train wreck that occurred near Chase, Maryland when some stoned engineers ran a signal and killed several passengers after a head on collision.

Alcohol and tobacco ARE gateway drugs. However, based on dependence and physical damage, marijuana and cocaine are actually less destructive than alcohol and tobacco. Heroin, and really the whole opiate family is what you what to avoid. I cannot even pathom why people would get involved with heroin abuse.
First, the discussion is about Marijuana, please try and leave coke, meth, and heroin out of it.

Secondly, I agree that tokers shouldn't be driving. God knows I was guilty of that growing up, but now that I'm older and more responsible, I don't drink and drive, and I don't smoke and drive either.

I sit at home, in my own little world, with all of the munchy food I could want, and every channel available on the TV. This makes my high considerably more enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies