U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:35 AM

11,509 posts, read 3,529,446 times

Advertisements

I remember reading an article many years ago about how there was a division beginning to appear between blacks who "made it" (were successful) and blacks who did not make it. As I recall, the article discussed that there was a movement -- or maybe actually more than just a movement -- to "lower the bar" for blacks so that poor blacks would have more of a chance to become successful -- have better jobs and more income. The article (again, as I recall) predicted that if such programs were enacted or continued, that there would be a backlash across all segments of society in that successful blacks would be viewed with skepticism by many whites, as not being, as a group, as good or intelligent as whites who have obtained the same education and career levels. (In the second half of the 19th century, no intelligent person would doubt that people like Frederick Douglass, Harriet Tubman and Booker T. Washington were more intelligent than probably at least 95% of white Americans, I would guess.

I think what I bolded above is exactly what has happened now, and I think it is a shame. I truly don't think that having one standard for admittance to medical school, for example, for whites and Asians, and a lower standard for blacks and Hispanics is doing ANY group any favors as a whole!

Acceptance rates at US medical schools in 2015 reveal ongoing racial preferences for blacks and Hispanics - AEI
Rate this post positively