Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 12:54 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
Yep,...the stock market is up,..so the economy is just "hunky-dory"...

Well,...if everything is so great, why is there so much unemployment?

If the economy is so great,...why are companies still laying off workers?

If you use the stock market is the only indicator of economic stability,...then you are foolish.

Keep on whistlin' through the cemetery....
Where did I say everything was hunky-dory? If you had read what I have said on this subject you would have noticed that I said it would take years to recover to "good" levels again.The stock market IS a gauge that one can use to see trends in the business sector and right now it is showing that we are headed upwards again. Yes, there are some companies that are still laying off people, many have to do with finishing up previously open contracts and a lack of current signed contracts. Most companies out there are stating they expect to be hiring over the next 12 months, also good news. I am in no way saying all is well, "whistlin through the cemetary", but one of us seems to see the glass as getting more empty and one of us sees it as slowing refilling. One of us is wrong, you, we all, best pray it is not you.
Casper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Certainly not what I expected from the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

Over all, I couldn't agree with the article more.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:00 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Funny thing is the market is going up, not the other way around. When even one prediction comes true maybe I will be more open to such thinking, until then I will maintain the attitude that we as a nation are strong enough and smart enough to bounce back on our feet and keep moving ahead.
Casper
We are not smart.. We have allowed our manufacturing sector to be practically wiped out. We are losing the middle class and we cannot make sure that every person cannot afford health insurance without a long dragged out fight and debate, but march off to two wars without a blink to enrich contractors. We allow a NY Governor that was about to expose Wall Street thievery before the Bailouts to be taken down. We buy cheap and toxic $hit from China at stores that claim that you can "Save Money, Live Better" while they get rich and drag the country down. No, this is a nation that has enough idiots to defend the very pigs and piggish practices that are destroying us to pull even the more aware into the crapper with them.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:09 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times
Globalisation has exposed the USA.
Where before the likes of the USA could compete internationally, with the removal of GATT (in 1994), the USA found itself having to be part of the big bad world.

Some fine institutions like NIKE and Walmart thought that by relocating to sweatshops, they would help the US economy.

Unfortunately the response to this global competition has persuaded some American companies to join the race to the bottom.

Short term profit.
Long term loss.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,815,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Certainly not what I expected from the pages of the Wall Street Journal.

Over all, I couldn't agree with the article more.

Yea, just what I thought. We must be getting either really close to the big flush or extremely paranoid as a country to get an article like that in the WSJ

Old 10-22-2009, 02:06 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
We are not smart.. We have allowed our manufacturing sector to be practically wiped out. We are losing the middle class and we cannot make sure that every person cannot afford health insurance without a long dragged out fight and debate, but march off to two wars without a blink to enrich contractors. We allow a NY Governor that was about to expose Wall Street thievery before the Bailouts to be taken down. We buy cheap and toxic $hit from China at stores that claim that you can "Save Money, Live Better" while they get rich and drag the country down. No, this is a nation that has enough idiots to defend the very pigs and piggish practices that are destroying us to pull even the more aware into the crapper with them.
Politicians did that against the wishes of the people, like the dems with NAFTA...isn't just big business to blame...

Old 10-22-2009, 02:09 PM
obo

916 posts, read 986,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Yes-Crooks tend to elect Crooks.
There is actually an independent running who is polling very strong for an I. I think he is taking votes from both candidates though.
He is doing this for Corzine. He is actually pulling more votes from Christie, so the polls indicate. Dagget is very friendly with Corzine and it is rumored that Corzine made a deal with him and will give him a cushy job if he helps him win.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:12 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Politicians did that against the wishes of the people, like the dems with NAFTA...isn't just big business to blame...
Just for balance sake, the Repubs backed NAFTA also, especially Bush, who was best pals with President Fox. I blame them both, Repubs and Demos, for NAFTA.
Casper

Old 10-22-2009, 02:19 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times
Quote:
Just for balance sake, the Repubs backed NAFTA also, especially Bush, who was best pals with President Fox. I blame them both, Repubs and Demos, for NAFTA.
Casper
Direct your annoyance toward your fellow citizens.

Their laziness.
Their complacency.

Their laziness and complacency was insulated because, pre globalisation, your country did not face competition.

That better productivity, better innovation, better products, of other nations, have exposed the USA.

Old 10-22-2009, 02:24 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Casper
...but the American consumer will continue to buy the junk that is manufactured elsewhere. If the majority of populace demanded better Made in The USA products of fair trade products, this would speak volumes t the politicians. Whenever there is a thread about Walmart, I am amazed to see how many people sing their praises and defend the out of kilter trade agreements that allow this to continue. Imagine if Americans refused to shop for X-mas gifts unless they were manufactured here. One season of this and you'd see how fast we would get a reaction and chages in trade policies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies