Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 02:48 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,258,323 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Yes, the CEOs of ALL companies should abide by a FIXED ration of CEO pay to the average worker's pay - I don't care if they are in the business of flipping burgers, or the business of papering the world with their worthless CDOs.
That is ridiculous! That is NOT how the United States works - nor should work. You can, and should, be able to earn as much as you legally can without any limitations.

If I start a business - it is MY business to decide how much I earn - not the government - and certainly not you.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
The CEO of United Healthcare paid himself 1 billion in salary, bonuses and stock options - that's a lot of burgers.
Actually, the owners of the company paid him that much - and they approved it.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:08 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamofmonterey View Post
IMO a man getting 50 million in this country today is immoral;
I fundamentally agree with you, but I would stop short of saying that it is a matter for government intervention UNLESS their company was rescued by taxpayer bailout money. In that scenario, the one we are talking about in this thread, the President is absolutely doing the right thing by limiting executive pay. I strongly disagreed with the bank bailouts, but having been done....

And even in the non-bailout scenario, pay at that level is so offensive to basic sensibilities that it is a formula for failure long term. People are fed up with obscene levels of corporate greed while so many suffer on the brink of homelessness. The party is over as people are waking up and speaking up.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:11 PM

Quote:
IMO a man getting 50 million in this country today is immoral
What is your opinion on the Athletes who garner large annual incomes?

Old 10-24-2009, 03:23 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,592,930 times
Exactly. But I am a labeled a communist, bcs I care about how people are treated, and people are fed up with CEOs jetting in for bailout money from GM,etc.

Its pathetic and not what America stood for, what my father fought in the war for, when did the far-right incorporate big business, lobbyists and PAC's with doing good for America? Disgusting.

Bank of America rapes and pillages their customers with usury, then gets bailed out, then some loser gets 50 million....This is just wrong.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:49 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
That is ridiculous! That is NOT how the United States works - nor should work. You can, and should, be able to earn as much as you legally can without any limitations.

If I start a business - it is MY business to decide how much I earn - not the government - and certainly not you.
What if you didnt start the business?

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
What if you didnt start the business?
You mean, the owners put me in charge?

To make money for them?

They agreed to pay me for doing so?

Again - no caps on pay

Old 10-24-2009, 04:56 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,572,548 times
Quote:
Exactly. But I am a labeled a communist, bcs I care about how people are treated, and people are fed up with CEOs jetting in for bailout money from GM,etc.

Its pathetic and not what America stood for, what my father fought in the war for, when did the far-right incorporate big business, lobbyists and PAC's with doing good for America? Disgusting.

Bank of America rapes and pillages their customers with usury, then gets bailed out, then some loser gets 50 million....This is just wrong.
Leaving Bank of America felt so good despite the fact that the teller was all telling me how I was going to regret it. When asked why I was leaving I told him that I was sick of their practices, sick of the fees, sick of hearing how they support illegals and most of all-the fact that their CEO got 50 million dollar bonus AFTER getting bailed out.

He then says "I hate to see you leave just because of a couple fees."

I was like "Sir. I dont know how much YOU make sitting here. But I go to college and have a job that does not pay anywhere as well as YOUR job does. A couple of "fees" makes a difference."

He did not have much to say after. Go figure, huh?

Old 10-24-2009, 05:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
I just tell you, I dont "try to tell you".

What massive degrees do those managers need? Are you talking about administrators of health care systems and medical centers, or someone who runs a CNA temp agency?
You cant read the link to see that managers, regardless of their degress make $80K + a year? First liberals complain that people arent paid a living wage, now you guys are complaining that they are.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:26 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,101,577 times
Quote:
Yes, the CEOs of ALL companies should abide by a FIXED ration of CEO pay to the average worker's pay - I don't care if they are in the business of flipping burgers, or the business of papering the world with their worthless CDOs.
So a hospital with a yearly net operating budget of $5,000,000 should be able to pay their CEO $4,000,000 (50 times average employee pay) but McDonalds, with a yearly net operating budget of $4,313,000,000, should only be allowed to make $832,000? Really, thats your argument? That those with less net operating budgets should pay more?

How about authors, how do you think they should profit from a book? 50 times the books cover price? (i.e. $1250 for a $30 book?)

How about people who give speeches, what do you consider "fair"?(Clintons hundred million dollars since leaving the White House for example).

Do you think people like me who own properties and invest in the market should have our profits capped also? I bet you think we should return all profits to the tenants after we have reached what you deem to be a "fair quota"...

And people wonder why liberals are called communist lately, your posting is a prime example of such..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies