Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 09:43 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I'm doing very well in the market this year, up 751.39%, and many of the trades are through shorting puts..
Um - yeah, right. And I have 12 olympic gold medals

Quote:
just because the DJIA is up, doesnt mean everything is, there is over 7,000 stocks on the market and the DOW represents 1/2 of 1% of them..
What makes you think I'm looking at the DOW? Try looking at the S&P 500, the Nasdaq and the Russell 2000. ALL of them are way UP for the year. ALL.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
That's not what the CEO's of Intel, J. Crew, Caterpillar, Amazon.com, Texas Instruments, and many other companies have reported in the last few weeks. ALL of them are forecasting improved demand for their products.

But I guess those folks know less about their business than you do eh?

Ken
If people are not working or are insecure in their jobs they simply will not spend money. Do you dispute that unemployed folks will be very cautious in how they spend their money?

Don't take my word for it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-jobless-claims-rise-more-apf-1168669314.html?x=0&.v=1 (broken link)

"But many wonder if that pace can continue in the current quarter and next year as unemployment rises and consumers remain hesitant to spend"

"Still, manufacturing won't add jobs in the U.S. Hiring by the nation's restaurants, shops, banks and other service providers is needed for that to happen. Consumer spending powers those businesses, and as long as unemployment is rising and credit tight, shoppers likely will remain wary of big spending."

I guess they do know less than me about business. Whoda thunk.

By the way the companies you mentioned do not only operate in the US. Did it ever occur to you that the increase demand may come from overseas? Let me help you out.

"Caterpillar was among companies signaling that emerging markets like China and India would be leading the global recovery. The heavy equipment maker said Asia is its best-performing region. Drugmaker Pfizer and handbag maker Coach also said sales are picking up in Asia, and they're rushing to add salespeople and open new stores."

Last edited by shorebaby; 10-22-2009 at 09:59 PM..

Old 10-22-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
The weather must be very nice in your own little world where you know nothing of entire families living on the streets or in tent cities. You must feel so smug.
Maybe you need some remedial reading classes - did I EVER say the economy is good NOW? Clearly this is a deep and severe recession. That's the not point - the point is that improvement is COMING - NOT that it's HERE. The LEI is an index of LEADING economic indicators. Got that?
L E A D I N G

Ken

Old 10-22-2009, 09:56 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Maybe you need some remedial reading classes - did I EVER say the economy is good NOW? Clearly this is a deep and severe recession. That's the not point - the point is that improvement is COMING - NOT that it's HERE. The LEI is an index of LEADING economic indicators. Got that?
L E A D I N G

Ken
Ken..IMHO I think this would be better posted in the Business, Finance forum. More folks there understand indicators and have a better grasp at what numbers serve as debate fodder.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:00 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,413,498 times
Quote:
L E A D I N G

Ken
Keep smacking your head maybe you will wake up. I know what a LEI is and I know that it means nothing when a country buys its own debt and I am sure an erudite person such as yourself knows that as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:01 PM

2,661 posts, read 2,903,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Ken..IMHO I think this would be better posted in the Business, Finance forum. More folks there understand indicators and have a better grasp at what numbers serve as debate fodder.
True good news freaks out some of our most dedicated posters.

Old 10-22-2009, 10:02 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Um - yeah, right. And I have 12 olympic gold medals

So what are your gold metals for?

Old 10-22-2009, 10:04 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
So what are your gold metals for?

Can you invest for me??

Old 10-22-2009, 10:05 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Can you invest for me??
Not yet. Waiting for all the legal crap to go through for the hedge fund creation. Have a meeting next week with investors for preliminary paperwork..

Not legally allowed to take on investments for strangers anyways, that wont be until phase 3 of the creation gets approved, I'm currently in phase 1, going to phase 2..

Old 10-22-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
If people are not working or are insecure in their jobs they simply will not spend money. Do you dispute that unemployed folks will be very cautious in how they spend their money?

Don't take my word for it.

Leading indicators signal growth, but jobs scarce - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/New-jobless-claims-rise-more-apf-1168669314.html?x=0&.v=1 - broken link)

"But many wonder if that pace can continue in the current quarter and next year as unemployment rises and consumers remain hesitant to spend"

"Still, manufacturing won't add jobs in the U.S. Hiring by the nation's restaurants, shops, banks and other service providers is needed for that to happen. Consumer spending powers those businesses, and as long as unemployment is rising and credit tight, shoppers likely will remain wary of big spending."

I guess they do know less than me about business. Whoda thunk.
"less than you?" - dream on.

These are the folks who SEE the numbers of their business and they ALREADY see demand starting to pick up - it's slight uptick that they are seeing, but it IS an uptick. So NO you do NOT know more than them.

Regarding consumer spending - it WILL pick up. Even looking at the higher U-6 unemployment number, the fact remains that 80% of Americans STILL have jobs - and as the layoffs wind down and end those folks will INCREASE their spending (yes 23 states are reporting an increasing unemployment rate - but 27 states now report either stable or FALLING unemployment (more than half - and VAST increase from 4 months ago when that number was ONE)). The "doom and gloom" crowd want to make it sound as if EVERYONE in America has lost their jobs - when in fact MOST people still have their jobs and will CONTINUE to be employed.

Ken
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies