Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:41 PM

341 posts, read 678,935 times

Advertisements

[quote=Chatteress;11315157]
Quote:
I consider myself to be an open-minded conservative
oxymoron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 03:44 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdne View Post
I have seen good and bad parts in every state,...but I haven't visited all 57 of them.
I wonder if Barack has?

Nita

Old 10-23-2009, 03:48 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I pick New Jersey

Why? Every freaking road coming out of NJ has a toll road on it. On top of that, they have these rest stops that are exactly the same thing over and over again on the turnpike and are likely in bed with the state.

You are greeted by oil refineries immediatley after the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and it smells like funk from the beginning to the end (although its slightly better the closer to New York you get).

Its just a really big suburb. 90% of New Jersey is suburbs of NYC, Philadelphia, and Wilmington, DE (out of the top 10 most populous cities in NJ, only one, Toms River, is more then 30 miles from NYC or Philly, and they are only about 40 miles from NYC). The rest of New Jersey has about 15 people. Absolutely no identity of its own.

The really odd thing is that the New Jersey side is always worse then the actual city. For instance, Camden, NJ way worse then Philly, or Newark, NJ, way worse then NYC.

You cant pump your own freaking gas. What is that? On the positive, at least the station attendents Ive run in to are fairly friendly.

Every urban area is a complete dump. Even towns that youd imagine should be nice, like Weehawken or Fort Lee, are dumps.

Well pretty much everything said about NJ is wrong. I am not going to refute it point by point but a few observations. NJ clearly isn't one big suburb, it is the most densly populated sate in the country.

As for the suburban areas being worse than the cities they are ajacent to, wrong again Alpine is the wealthiest town in the country is a suburb of NYC. Moorestown was voted one of the best places to live in the country is a suburb of Philadelphia.

There are refineries are located in centeral NJ no where near Delaware.

NJ residents don't aspire to be gas station attendants.

Fort Lee and Wehawken boast multi-million dollar homes overlooking the Manhattan skyline are part of what is refered to as the gold coast.

Old 10-23-2009, 03:59 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
I've lived in 4 states plus DC. Can't say I hated any of them. I've visited plenty others, don't hate them, either. Didn't particularly like the attitude in Utah, where I stayed for a summer, where every beginning conversation quickly got to "so, are you LDS?" and they visibly cooled to me when I answered "no". Loved living in DC. Would not like to live in a state where everybody asked me what church I belonged to, or where the people pushed the schools to teach creationism or ID.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:45 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
I hate Rhode Island. I don't know why as I've never been there but I hate it. Maybe I hate it because it's small and makes me and people from New Jersey feel superior. It's tiny but still gets to send two senators to congress just like the big states. You never hear anything about Rhode Island. It just sneaks around like a little weasel. It must be doing something wrong. When you go looking for it you can't even find it on a map. I hear that republicans and democrats both live there. Both parties suck. It also has retired people. They suck. Veterans live there too, I hear. Obama once campaigned there. Why would he go to a little girly-state like Rhode Island if he wasn't planning on turning the country into a communist dictatorship?
I rest my case.
Wow-just wow. I don't even know what to say to this post, but as someone who is originally from Rhode Island I do find this highly offensive. Maybe the reason you can't find it on a map is because you don't know how to read one? Try looking south of Massachusettes and east of Connecticut.

I don't 'hate' any states. Each has it's up and downs, like anything. I'll admit I'm not too fond of those in the deep south, like Alabama and Louisiana (and yes, I've been to them), but I don't hate them.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:07 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,632,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthBound? View Post
What state do you hate the most and why?
The United States of America.

Why?
Imperialism.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:45 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,386,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
I pick New Jersey

Why? Every freaking road coming out of NJ has a toll road on it. On top of that, they have these rest stops that are exactly the same thing over and over again on the turnpike and are likely in bed with the state.

You are greeted by oil refineries immediatley after the Delaware Memorial Bridge, and it smells like funk from the beginning to the end (although its slightly better the closer to New York you get).

Its just a really big suburb. 90% of New Jersey is suburbs of NYC, Philadelphia, and Wilmington, DE (out of the top 10 most populous cities in NJ, only one, Toms River, is more then 30 miles from NYC or Philly, and they are only about 40 miles from NYC). The rest of New Jersey has about 15 people. Absolutely no identity of its own.

The really odd thing is that the New Jersey side is always worse then the actual city. For instance, Camden, NJ way worse then Philly, or Newark, NJ, way worse then NYC.

You cant pump your own freaking gas. What is that? On the positive, at least the station attendents Ive run in to are fairly friendly.

Every urban area is a complete dump. Even towns that youd imagine should be nice, like Weehawken or Fort Lee, are dumps.
There are definitely some pretty harsh places in NJ... But I did love the shore (Avalon, Stone Harbor, Wildwood, Cape May) and the pines.

Old 10-23-2009, 06:54 PM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annika08 View Post
Wow-just wow. I don't even know what to say to this post, but as someone who is originally from Rhode Island I do find this highly offensive. Maybe the reason you can't find it on a map is because you don't know how to read one? Try looking south of Massachusettes and east of Connecticut.

I don't 'hate' any states. Each has it's up and downs, like anything. I'll admit I'm not too fond of those in the deep south, like Alabama and Louisiana (and yes, I've been to them), but I don't hate them.
I may be wrong, but I think the poster was being tongue-in-cheek, pointing out the absurdity of a thread about "what state do you hate?" I thought it was funny.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:15 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I agree;I did not find any sate I have visted and that is the majoeioty anyhting to really hate. i visted friends in new jersey and had a great time.Sure there places and people you could skip but that isn't everyone.Found the same about people when in the service.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:23 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,948,683 times
I hate Kansas. It has to be the most boring state in the country to drive through. I hate stopping there...I feel like any moment I am going to be attacked by the children of the corn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies