Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:25 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,171,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Modern day TV is the similar to a caveman inventing the wheel and using it as a lazy suzan.
excellent!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 07:30 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,596,663 times
Worse than the stupidity they call news are the dorks they trot out as experts to give "commentary" on the stupidity we just witnessed. If I am not insulted enough by the news, these peoples opinions are sure to do the trick

Old 10-24-2009, 07:39 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,451,391 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Dopo
Anybody else tired of news channels praising stupidity just to get ratings?

The latest example: balloon boy.
Why did the news channels spend days analyzing that stupid crap when all they had to do was talk to a scientist who would have told them exactly how much hellium it would take to lift a person in the air.

Why is it that the news channels never check with scientists?
Instead they spend hours talking to "contributors" who BS their way through topics for hours.

I found the answer just doing a google search
Balloon boy helium physics
The only reason I had cable was to keep up with the news, until I realized that even THAT wasn't worth $60 a month when I can get the BBC in my car or online for free. I said "s*rew this" and cancelled my subscription.

My life has felt smarter ever since. I don't think I could ever go back.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:05 PM

40,919 posts, read 48,840,861 times
This is so funny... the politics forum pretty much agreeing on a subject. This must be a 1st.

No matter which way you lean it's pretty agreed upon our news / TV leaves a lot to be desired.

Recall when the news meant something:

Following Cronkite's editorial report, President Lyndon Johnson is reported to have said, "If I've lost Cronkite, I've lost Middle America." Several weeks later, Johnson announced he would not seek reelection.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 PM

18,041 posts, read 25,061,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
This is so funny... the politics forum pretty much agreeing on a subject. This must be a 1st.
I deserve about 500 rep points for creating the 1st thread in the political forum where everybody agrees in the first 2-3 pages.

I know everybody has their bias and it's ok.
Foxnews can have shows praising rightwing politics
and CNN and MSNBC can have shows praising leftwing politics.

But for God's sake, give us 1/2 hour of only news without any gossip.

Here's all I want (I hope I'm not asking for too much)
a news channel that will never talk about Octomom, Jon and Kate, Anna Nicole Smith and never has contributors to regurgitate the political news for us.
Just give me the news and I'll use my own brain to process the information.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:38 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Sorry, no disrespect for the deceased, but why was Anna Nicole Smith famous and why were hundreds of hours of air time devoted to her passing? Is this representative of the American mentality? Shame.
Out here in the Southwest, everyone knows where Billy the Kid is buried but most don't have a clue of the location of the gravesite of Pat Garrett, the lawman who shot and killed the murderous rascal. Had we had television and Hollywood in the 1880s, 98% of Hollywood would have attended Billy's funeral and the talking heads on CNN and Fox would have spent weeks upon weeks talking about how Billy died.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:50 PM

15,440 posts, read 21,227,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Here's all I want (I hope I'm not asking for too much) a news channel that will never talk about Octomom, Jon and Kate, Anna Nicole Smith and never has contributors to regurgitate the political news for us. Just give me the news and I'll use my own brain to process the information.
That reminds me of a favorite pet peeve I need to add to the C-D thread on pet peeves; the 12-year discussion of how Princess Diane died.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:08 PM

4,127 posts, read 5,050,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Modern day TV is the similar to a caveman inventing the wheel and using it as a lazy suzan.

That may be the funniest thing I've ever read on CD.

Old 10-25-2009, 10:57 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,592,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Out here in the Southwest, everyone knows where Billy the Kid is buried but most don't have a clue of the location of the gravesite of Pat Garrett, the lawman who shot and killed the murderous rascal. Had we had television and Hollywood in the 1880s, 98% of Hollywood would have attended Billy's funeral and the talking heads on CNN and Fox would have spent weeks upon weeks talking about how Billy died.
Yes, Billy has his own Center and museum, etc. Looked for Pat Garrett's grave several times and never did find it!

Old 10-25-2009, 12:39 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,509,808 times
I don't mind gossip & celebrity news, but when it goes on & on for days, I want to shoot myself. WTH gives a crap about balloon kid & the Gosselin's? Enough already, their 15 minutes are up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies