Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 10:09 AM

841 posts, read 2,260,812 times

Advertisements

Old 10-24-2009, 10:11 AM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post

AGAIN, IF YOU ARE A LIB AND DO NOT KNOW ABOUT THE FRANKFURT GROUP (THE SOURCE OF MODERN LIBERAL THOUGHT) READ THE LINK. It is one of the few things that may actually change your perspective. Denying or ignoring facts is exactly what the Franfurt Group hoped you would do.

Interesting the first link in the OP is to 'Catholic Insight', as if the Catholic Church is an institution to be trusted in offering social commentary.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:14 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Those beliefs, by the way, make you a libertarian or conservative.

...their creation of modern liberalism.
I am not a "conservative" because I believe that we should make drastic changes away from the current collectivist state. I can be labeled, and often do claim to be, a libertarian. The two statements above make the possibility of being both impossible. A "conservative" in today's collectivist America is completely against libertarian values.

I simply assert that a true "classical" liberal can also be seen as a libertarian. That is why I claim both titles for myself. "Liberal" is derived from latin "liber" which means free.

Notice that you yourself are talking about the "creation" of "modern liberalism". I stand by my position that I am a true liberal and not someone with a tyrannical and anti-freedom ideology "claiming" the label for themselves just because they like the term.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
Why a liberal? Easy. Liberals are progressive where Conservatives are regressive. What's so hard about that?
Ditto. Plus, conservatives think they belong in your personal business (gay marriage, abortion, etc.). I'd much rather have the govt. involved in health care and salary caps in bailed out corporations than in my bedroom or my uterus.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:22 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,066,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
If the OP was sincere in his question, you would be reading some sincere answers.

The topic should be "Why you shouldn't be a liberal"

I see your point but tend to disagree. Let's face it, Liberals are generally younger and the posts reflect that. I agree that the original post was pretty much a bait but more mature respondents would use it to their advantage rather than resorting to childish retorts. I'm sure the responses sound quite clever and witty in their heads but then again most children are fairly easy to amuse.

I actually enjoy a good debate with a liberal who can behave like an adult but all too often, and particularly on this forum, folks just can't seem to refrain from the schoolyard antics.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Again- Just read a little history. This is not "Glen Beck" propaganda. Glen Beck probably does not know anything about the Frankfurt Group. This is old information (I was taught this in high school) and I really thought that libs knew the basis for thier beliefs. With the knowledge of the Frankfurt Group, naturally, I have always thought liberals to be complete idiots, as they are just "useful idiots" for the spread of marxism.

Know where your "beliefs" come from and why liberalism "evolved" when it did. I know why YOU SAY you are a liberal, but obviously you never knew where those thoughts originated. It was not a benevolent mission, but was an odd (but apparently effective) means to destroy western culture. Thanks for helping the enemy.
Where liberalism came from is not nearly as important to me as where it is now.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:25 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellalunatic View Post
Had it not ever occurred to you that people think a certain way, just because they do, and perhaps they always have?

Just because YOU discovered the Frankfurt Group today and had this epiphany, (this theory behind the curtain, the alleged true meaning of liberalism) which made YOU feel all smart and stuff, really has nothing to do with it at ALL?
It's not about you sweetheart...
This person hasn't discovered anything ... they read something somewhere not understanding the underlying facts and history of the Group ... they don't understand what post WWI Germany was like for it's citizenry. They probably have no idea when WWI happened.

Old 10-24-2009, 10:31 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Where liberalism came from is not nearly as important to me as where it is now.
Okay, if we take that stance then, that "modern" liberalism is the only liberalism, it is no better than "modern" conservatism. They are both just "modern" oppressive ideologies that use unjust government force to coerce others to involutarily conform to and serve their particular special interests.

How enlightened!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
Okay, if we take that stance then, that "modern" liberalism is the only liberalism, it is no better than "modern" conservatism. They are both just "modern" oppressive ideologies that use unjust government force to coerce others to involutarily conform to and serve their particular special interests.

How enlightened!
In today's politics, that's what matters. The cons of today are not the cons of yesterday. There is a time in history, that I might have been able to call myself a conservative. Today? Hell no!

Old 10-24-2009, 10:45 AM

4,829 posts, read 6,929,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
In today's politics, that's what matters. The cons of today are not the cons of yesterday. There is a time in history, that I might have been able to call myself a conservative. Today? Hell no!
With the political climate of today anybody that claims to be a follower of either the Republican party or Democrat party should be ashamed of themselves.

blowoutcongress.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies