Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2009, 01:31 PM

624 posts, read 1,071,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Yes, the specifics of those surveys always reveal that the biggest givers turn out to be poor people in the poorest states, which are also the reddest. IOW, people who know the meaning of need and want to alleviate it. IOW: liberals at heart.

Not fair-weather tax-deduction typical Republican "givers", by a long shot.
Sorry, that's not what the data actually shows
Quote:
Although liberal families' incomes average 6 percent higher than those of conservative families, conservative-headed households give, on average, 30 percent more to charity than the average liberal-headed household ($1,600 per year vs. $1,227).
Note, the richer you are, the more likely you are to be LIBERAL and the less likely you are to actually help someone else.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,151,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
True. It seems to go in a couple different directions and maybe two threads would have been better than trying to frame the question with background information that some may see a not very relevant.

But I do like the question. I think a lot of young people, perhaps excessively idealistic, have embraced liberalism as the only alternative to what they view as failures of conservatism. Sure would be nice if more young people got their information from a wider variety of sources, especially historical ones. Nothing going on today is remarkably different than what was going on 40, 50 or 100 years ago. Black dysfunction is the result of white liberal patronage, always has been and always will be. Tolerance means I tolerate you without special conditions. Liberals are intolerant of working-class Southerners. Liberals love minorities as long as they play the victim. See, they are useful that way. Selfishness and greed are exemplified by the people who write our oppressive tax laws, yet can't seem to pay their own taxes and people who would triple our energy bills while living in mansions, sailing on a yachts and flying on private jets.

Liberalism just makes existing problems worse.

Name the problem and I'll tell you how the liberal solution makes it worse.
Well, mo, you'd have to define "liberal".

Old 10-24-2009, 01:45 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Quote:
Why do you think they established this school?

You can't always count on starving peasants to fall in line.
And the OP is using faulty historical understanding in order to lamely attempt to label today's liberals as marxists ....

say that with an english accent and it's downright pythonesque!

Old 10-24-2009, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
Sorry, that's not what the data actually shows

Note, the richer you are, the more likely you are to be LIBERAL and the less likely you are to actually help someone else.
To me that shows poor people continue to vote against their best interests, and that smart, successful people who are fiscally conservative are socially liberal. Hm?

The data do show it or I wouldnt have said they did

Last edited by delusianne; 10-24-2009 at 02:14 PM.. Reason: pronoun pother

Old 10-24-2009, 01:48 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
You're anti-school? Anti-draft? Anti-jail?
I am against any school, or any "service", if it is funded involuntarily by those who are not using or do not want the service. I am against any conscription, or draft if you prefer. I am for jails if they are used to house and punish those who initiate force upon others. (But it should be obvious that I feel that they should be filled with the vast majority of our "officials" who are nothing more than thugs, extortionists, and tyrants too! )

You really don't need to ask me my positions on any particular law or institution. I am consistent and predictable.

I am against any person, group, government, that initiates force to compel any person, group, government to serve any particular interest involuntarily.

Live and let live.

Old 10-24-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I am against any school, or any "service", if it funded involuntarily by those who are not using the service. I am against any conscription, or draft if you prefer. I am for jails if they are used to house and punish those who initiate force upon others. (But it should be obvious that I feel that they should be filled with the vast majority of our "officials" who are nothing more than thugs, extortionists, and tyrants too! )

You really don't need to ask me my positions on any particular law or institution. I am consistent and predictable.

I am against any person, group, government, that initiates force to compel any person, group, government to serve any particular interest involuntarily.

Live and let live.
Well, the next questions would be, do you drive on roads... would it irritate you to have to step over old people dying in the gutters.... no military defense for this country.... how do you expect the US to stay competitive in the world if schools are funded only by parents of kids in school at a given time.... you know, realistic, practical things to consider.

This just popped into my head...Taxes are like clothes. Or, armor. Hmm.

Nice chart re federal taxes. http://www.cbpp.org/cms/index.cfm?fa=view&id=1258 Also good to note for people who scream that their taxes go to fund Cadillac-drivin, ketchup-slurpin urban welfare queens:

"[11%] Safety net programs: About 11 percent of the federal budget in 2008, or $313 billion, supported programs that provide aid (other than health insurance or Social Security benefits) to individuals and families facing hardship.
These programs include: the refundable portion of the earned-income and child tax credits, which assist low- and moderate-income working families through the tax code; programs that provide cash payments to eligible individuals or households, including Supplemental Security Income for the elderly or disabled poor and unemployment insurance; various forms of in-kind assistance for low-income families and individuals, including food stamps, school meals, low-income housing assistance, child-care assistance, and assistance in meeting home energy bills; and various other programs such as those that aid abused and neglected children.

"A Center [on Budget and Policy Priorities] analysis shows that such programs lifted more than 12 million Americans out of poverty in 2005 and reduced the depth of poverty for another 25 million people."

Old 10-24-2009, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
And the OP is using faulty historical understanding in order to lamely attempt to label today's liberals as marxists ....

say that with an english accent and it's downright pythonesque!
YouTube - Monty Python - Money Song

two, three, KICK turn....

Old 10-24-2009, 02:21 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,741,829 times
Quote:
Well, the next questions would be, do you drive on roads... would it irritate you to have to step over old people dying in the gutters.... no military defense for this country.... how do you expect the US to stay competitive in the world if schools are funded only by parents of kids in school at a given time.... you know, realistic, practical things to consider.
Did I say that I oppose paying for taxes to take care of roads? That is a service that I both want and use without anyone forcing me to do so.

Would it irritate me to "step over old people dying in the gutters"? LOL. I guess that would depend on why they were dying now wouldn't it? Get serious, the whole people who stand up for freedom are "mean" ideology is pathetic at best. One would think that tyrants who initiate force to oppress others would not sink to use such logic.

We seem to have a very large voluntary citizen military force. You lose me with this one. I do not believe in funding any initiations of force by our military whatsoever. I believe our military should only act to repel an initiation of force upon our nation by another nation and for no other reason. If you are talking about taxation as it applies to paying for the military, well I only support that level which funds the reactive force of military. No foreign wars, bases, occupations, operations, none of it. It is only the military that is needed to repel foreign aggression upon our land that benefits all Americans equally. Funding that portion of the military with taxation is moral.

"Practical" is something that American government has no relationship with in any way. It is ONLY guided by the theory, speculation, and ideals of tyrants which is the opposite of the definition of practical.

I do think that it is practical to resist all forms of tyrannical collectivism as they consistently demonstrate the harm that they impose upon humanity. That is why I stand consistently on the side of human freedom and voluntary cooperation and not on the side of using government force.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:23 PM

1,862 posts, read 2,385,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irspow View Post
I am against any school, or any "service", if it is funded involuntarily by those who are not using or do not want the service. I am against any conscription, or draft if you prefer. I am for jails if they are used to house and punish those who initiate force upon others. (But it should be obvious that I feel that they should be filled with the vast majority of our "officials" who are nothing more than thugs, extortionists, and tyrants too! )

Live and let live.
Is there a country that you feel best fits your philosophy/ideology?

Old 10-24-2009, 02:29 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,167,496 times
Quote:
Be sure to let me know when government does something to earn this blind faith you have in them.
How does what I posted = blind faith in the government????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies