Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 12:19 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times

Advertisements

the american hatred of authority has taken a new turn. hatred of the elderly.
we already hate kids so where is all this going?
welcome to the crocodile farm.
the sky is cryin sing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 12:21 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
My grandmother, an indian from the Akwesasne Mohawk Tribe said on her deathbed, "I would give everything I have for one more sunrise." She didn't say why. She lived to be 98.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:23 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Here is a novel, out of the box thought: How about living long AND getting value out of each day lived?
Quality AND quantity?

Seems un-American.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:50 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Quality AND quantity?

Seems un-American.

Not if you were brought up on steak and potatoes! And gravy...

Old 10-24-2009, 04:55 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
I know a lot of neat old people. When I was younger, old people were old, and I would never get old. hahahahahahah. Jokes on all humans ! We all get old. Thank god for facelifts, and fat bank accounts. (and the Hoveround, and the Clapper....sensible shoes, Doans pills) I have a ways to go yet.

Old 10-24-2009, 04:58 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
Why do all Americans want to live till their 80/90/100???

At least, that is what it seems like from the Political Main stream news.

There are people in some countries, even today, where the average lifespan is like 40-50... Why aren't these same American's worrying about these people's lifespans?

I just don't understand why our political/social society right now is saying that we must prolong life for as long as possible, when I don't believe that the length of life is what matters at all, but the amount of value you get and give each day from it is what is important.

Are you suggesting mass suicide at age 45 or a "soylent green" solution? You are obviously young. When you have faced death a few times, you will value your life to a greater extent.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:09 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,638,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Are you suggesting mass suicide at age 45 or a "soylent green" solution? You are obviously young. When you have faced death a few times, you will value your life to a greater extent.

It may not be due to youth, but rather indoctrination.

Old 10-24-2009, 05:10 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
Quote:

There are people in some countries, even today, where the average lifespan is like 40-50... Why aren't these same American's worrying about these people's lifespans?

I just don't understand why our political/social society right now is saying that we must prolong life for as long as possible, when I don't believe that the length of life is what matters at all, but the amount of value you get and give each day from it is what is important.
Do you have any idea of how many people are still productive in their
"old age"? Shame on you. Not only that, people have worked hard all these years for retirement which is now in the 70's if you want max benefits. We had a patient who worked into her 90's and was a valued and hard to replace employee at her company.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:11 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
I can't speak for everyone, but, I highly value our aged citizens, and my own family elders. My Grandfather taught me many valuable things, and my Grandmother as well. I could sit and listen to them just talk about their experiences for hours on end, and have done the same thing with many aged men and women I have met and fell into conversation with. When an elderly person offers their wisdom, I have found that ,more often than not ,that wisdom is a valuable commodity, not to be forsaken or disdained and I quite enjoy talking with elderly people. In my view, they are one of our greatest treasures.Not to many people are in a huge hurry to fall over dead and see whats next, .....are they? Surely being of advanced age does not mean that one enjoys the infirmities and such that go along with advanced years, however, not being physically able to go bungee jumping does not make life any less desirable or mean that a person has nothing to contribute. Mty Grandmother is now 99. She has raised 4 generations of kids, she is now pretty tired, and one of my cousins is taking care of her. A cousin she raised, who is an ungrateful, self centered unappreciative B****, who whines and moans about being so burdened by an 'old woman hampering her life'. The same 'old woman' who saw to it that she HAS a life. I would have NO problem with my gramms coming to live with us, but she won't leave her town or her state. My advice to folks....our elders were there for us, most of them anyway, when it's our turn to be there for them turning our backs is a faceless act of treason.

Old 10-24-2009, 09:18 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,110,516 times
Quote:

Get back to us when you're 65.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies