Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2012, 04:43 PM

6,392 posts, read 5,158,752 times

Advertisements

1. Why do you care what someone else thinks. You know WHO you are, and WHAT you are all about. That should be good enough for you.

2. There are people like me, who could care less if you are black or white, or red, or yellow, but base my opinion of you, on the person you are.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:39 PM

200 posts, read 278,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Do they let whites attend the annual black people meetings?
No. They are held underground in secret. I wasn't even supposed to mention them in public.

Last edited by stationplay; 06-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: mispelled snark

Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM

56 posts, read 44,999 times
So are whites offended when I point out their higher crime rates??

Homicide Type by Race, 1976-2005
Intimate 54.4% W 43.4% B 2.2% O
Family 59.2%W 38.5%B 2.3%O
Infanticide 55.4%W 42.1%B 2.5%O
Eldercide 54.5%W 43.8%B 1.6%O
Multiple Victims by Race
Multiple Victims 55.7%W 40.8%B 3.5%O

86% of white victims were killed by whites
94% of black victims were killed by blacks
Bureau of Justice Statistics Homicide trends in the U.S.: Trends by race

Prisoners under sentence of death, 12/31/06
1,806W 1,353B
Women under sentence of death, by race, 12/31/07
56W 38B
Bureau of Justice Statistics - Capital Punishment, 2007 - Table 12. Women under sentence of death, by race and jurisdiction, 12/31/07

Characteristics of hate crime victims, 2003-2009
61%W 13%B 26%O

violent offenders as reported by victims
of hate and nonhate crime, 2003-2009
43%W
29%B
28%O
http://bjs.ojp.usdoj.gov/content/pub/pdf/hc0309.pdf

Old 06-10-2012, 06:53 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
Yes because if you're NOT a criminal you'll get offended when someone calls or labels you as one.
That is something some people seem to not get, or care to discuss.

Old 06-10-2012, 06:54 PM

1,575 posts, read 1,731,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stationplay View Post
I've stopped being mad. I honestly think that "mainstream" america makes this subject more of an issue than we do. The subject hardly ever comes up at our annual black people meetings, but you always hear about some random black person being mad at something on the news.

I just ignore it and focus on mine. I have realized that Im always going to look different than my suburban neighbors, and don't plan on doing anything to try to fit in with them either. For what?

Old 06-10-2012, 08:08 PM

29,699 posts, read 24,780,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shintao View Post
So are whites offended when I point out their higher crime rates??
Would it be offensive to also point out that AAs make up only 14% of the population?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:03 PM

37 posts, read 38,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stick2dascript View Post
I'm not a criminal, if I'm treated as one will get mad. Even if 99% are thugs you can't assume the other 1% is a thug, this is the problem whites are having. They can't tell who's a gangster and who's not.
Your kinda right, cause white thugs are easier to spot. The way they dress and talk is deviant from the white norm. Black thugs dress and talk like most black kids. Millions of black youth that have never broke a law in there life dress like thugs we see on TV killing and robbing people, and than get angry when they get stereotyped as one. If you don't want to be stereotyped as a thug don't dress like a rapper than talking about murdering people. White guys that dress like that get stereotyped too. Much of it is stuff the person being stereotyped themselves has the ability to control.

Old 06-10-2012, 10:12 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxVolunteer23 View Post
Your kinda right, cause white thugs are easier to spot. The way they dress and talk is deviant from the white norm. Black thugs dress and talk like most black kids. Millions of black youth that have never broke a law in there life dress like thugs we see on TV killing and robbing people, and than get angry when they get stereotyped as one. If you don't want to be stereotyped as a thug don't dress like a rapper than talking about murdering people. White guys that dress like that get stereotyped too. Much of it is stuff the person being stereotyped themselves has the ability to control.
Sometimes even when young Black people, especially males, don't dress like thugs, they can get stereotyped anyway. It has happened to me. I was in a mall, dressed in a suit. I went to a bookstore to get some time alone. I was the only Black person in that bookstore. Most of the White kids there were dressed like skateboarders. I was the one who got followed around in the bookstore. Apparently, the clerk thought I was going to steal something. Why she would suspect such a thing out of me, it boggled my mind. I basically left and said to myself "I'm never coming here again and I'm not buying from here either". I didn't dress like a stereotype and I still got treated like one.

Do young Black men have to dress like business men in order not to be stereotyped?

Old 06-10-2012, 10:39 PM

25 posts, read 24,364 times
GM,

There's really no way in society today for a black man, young, middle-aged, OR old, not to get stereotyped. Stereotyping happens in the ignorant mind of the beholder.

The "urban" image, with the saggin', brothas calling each other 'ni@@a' (a BS rationalization if I ever heard one, BTW -- my 2nd wife 'explained ' it to me, it was BS then and it's BS now. A hate-word is a hate-word however it's spelled....) doesn't help, because it 'confirms' all the prejudices in the fearful white mind. The attitudes of "I'm grown, I can do what I please!" to justify acting the fool, and "You want (XXXX)?!? I'll SHOW you (XXXX)!" make it even more so.

I'm not an expert, but when you see enough of it (and receive it from ignorant black folks who feel JUSTIFIED 'cause it happens to them), you get some things to think about.

Old 06-10-2012, 11:22 PM

37 posts, read 38,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Sometimes even when young Black people, especially males, don't dress like thugs, they can get stereotyped anyway. It has happened to me. I was in a mall, dressed in a suit. I went to a bookstore to get some time alone. I was the only Black person in that bookstore. Most of the White kids there were dressed like skateboarders. I was the one who got followed around in the bookstore. Apparently, the clerk thought I was going to steal something. Why she would suspect such a thing out of me, it boggled my mind. I basically left and said to myself "I'm never coming here again and I'm not buying from here either". I didn't dress like a stereotype and I still got treated like one.

Do young Black men have to dress like business men in order not to be stereotyped?
That sucks, I can't say I can relate. The bold made me proud though, f*** that bookstore.
However I still stand by my claim that many black men bring it on themselves than whine and complain when they get stereotyped for being a thug. If you have gold teeth and 3X shirt you should be stereotyped as a thug because that's what killers and robbers in the ghetto dress like.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.