Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 11:15 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times

Advertisements

A dog will stand by you when your friends will not. You can be kinda schizo, and a dog will forgive you. People point, and laugh. A dog will never get his rocks off by making fun of you, but people do.

I am a happy healthy vegetarian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,898,488 times
Humans would be fine without meat. But, knowing the degenerate homo sapiens I suppose cannibalism would be the rage.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:18 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Think of all the unwanted dogs we kill yearly. We just don't eat them, but that could be the magic stuff they put in Jack in the Box tacos.
At this time all those animals that are put down are not in our food supply but the meat is used. Generally it's used in dog and cat food. It's not allowed as feed for any animals intended for human consumption.

I don't know what's in Jacks tacos but I suspect I really don't want to know.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:28 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,113,472 times
Food for thought...so to speak...

Digesting Meat

Once within the stomach, meat requires digestive juices high in hydrochloric acid. The stomachs of humans and herbivores produce acid less than one-twentieth the strength of that found in carnivores.

Another crucial difference between the meat-eater and the vegetarian is found in the intestinal tract, where the food is further digested and nutrients are passed into the blood. A piece of meat is just part of a corpse, and its putrefaction creates poisonous wastes within the body. Therefore, meat must be quickly eliminated. For this purpose, carnivores possess alimentary canals only three times the length of their bodies. Since man, like other non-flesh-eating animals, has an alimentary canal twelve times his body length, rapidly decaying flesh is retained for a much longer time, producing a number of undesirable toxic effects.

One body organ adversely affected by these toxins is the kidney. This vital organ, which extracts waste from the blood, is strained by the overload of poisons introduced by meat consumption. Even moderate meat-eaters demand three times more work from their kidneys than do vegetarians. The kidneys of a young person may be able to cope with this stress, but as one grows older the risk of kidney disease and failure greatly increases.

The Hare Krsnas - Spiritual Practice - Krsna Prasadam - Cookbooks - The Higher Taste

Old 10-25-2009, 12:03 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,377,875 times
The Straight Dope: Are humans meat eaters or vegetarians by nature?
Quote:
There are some intelligent arguments for vegetarianism, but claiming that man is "naturally" herbivorous isn't one of them. The settled judgment of science is that man is an omnivore, capable of eating both meat and vegetables, much as certain four-year-olds might like to convince their mothers otherwise.

Like the hard-core carnivores, we have fairly simple digestive systems well suited to the consumption of animal protein, which breaks down quickly. Contrary to what your magazine article says, the human small intestine, at 23 feet, is a little under eight times body length (assuming a mouth-to-anus "body length" of three feet). This is about midway between cats (three times body length), dogs (3-1/2 times), and other well-known meat eaters on the one hand and plant eaters such as cattle (20 to 1) and horses (12 to 1) on the other. This tends to support the idea that we are omnivores.

Herbivores also have a variety of specialized digestive organs capable of breaking down cellulose, the main component of plant tissue. Humans find cellulose totally indigestible, and even plant eaters have to take their time with it. If you were a ruminant (cud eater), for instance, you might have a stomach with four compartments, enabling you to cough up last night's alfalfa and chew on it all over again.

Old 10-25-2009, 12:22 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Humans would be fine without meat. But, knowing the degenerate homo sapiens I suppose cannibalism would be the rage.
Had we never taken to hunting we would have evolved into herd animals

Old 10-25-2009, 12:46 PM

871 posts, read 1,630,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilypad View Post
Aren't the Chinese already eating babies? Tolerance now people....

Of course this is a disgusting practice to us, as we see dogs and cats as our beloved pets. Not so that part of the world. Enter the cult of multiculturalism. We are expected to be "tolerant" in the guise of "it's part their wonderful culture". Hmmmm, where do we draw that line.
i know you think america is the planet but the article is referring to another country? lol.

I don't agree with the mistreatment and torture. it's of course, horrifying and sad. but animals of all kinds are mistreated and that is where the western world is skewed. westerners seem to think it's okay to mistreat animals if it's not thier designated pet species. i think all mistreatment of living things should stop around the world including western nations. i support the protest but not the demonization because it's hypocritical and animal abuse is a worldwide problem and a problem of predation and power because humans have the power to do so.

Last edited by rory00; 10-25-2009 at 01:14 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 12:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Our culture views dogs generally as pets. Other cultures view them as food.

So, what is really the big deal.

As others have indicated, I have, during my trips to South Korea, had "dog" included in my meals. There was a time we maintained a residence in Hong Kong, and in the New Territories, there was a commercial dog operation - raising of dogs for food products.

While this may have been hard on my Western sensibilities, I had to realize that other cultures look at things differently. AND, in that region, beef (cows) were really very expensive - and what Beef there was, was generally imported from Australia.

So, how about lightening up on the South Koreans - let them do as they wish.

Old 10-25-2009, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripley6174 View Post
How can we claim these creatures to be man's best friend when we leave them to be tortured in ways that are so brutal we couldn't even think of them if we tried? Skinned and boiled alive, hung from the ceiling with hooks in their mouths and their broken legs tied behind their backs to be beaten to death and other such cruelties that are simply too incomprehensible to wrap your head around.

If you made it through both videos than you're a braver man than I am, if you want to call it that. We should write the Chinese ambassador, support Animals Asia or the WSPA, but most importantly, stop doing business with the savages that allow these things to go on in their country. Humanity is sick and depraved, both for perpetuating this cruelty and for allowing it to happen.
I don't condone it but i would like to ask you a very serious question.

How is that worse than what happens to dogs in puppy mills across america?

If americans love thier pets so much, why are there so many unwanted in shelters or dog pounds all over the country?

How serious can someone be of loving and respecting a pet when they easily pawn them off to one of these facilities or give them away when they move or get tired of them? why is animal control always rounding up strays and abused animals?

just the tip of the iceberg of puppy mill pics. Now who did you say the "savages" were? Oh, those savages of another race in another country. I see. Why are westerners so peculiarly hypocritical? i never quite understood this.

http://www.dcr.net/~humane/assets/Puppy_Mill_Images/Puppy%20Mill-Dead%20Dog%20in%20Mud2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by rory00; 10-25-2009 at 01:24 PM..

Old 10-25-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Our culture views dogs generally as pets. Other cultures view them as food.

So, what is really the big deal.

As others have indicated, I have, during my trips to South Korea, had "dog" included in my meals. There was a time we maintained a residence in Hong Kong, and in the New Territories, there was a commercial dog operation - raising of dogs for food products.

While this may have been hard on my Western sensibilities, I had to realize that other cultures look at things differently. AND, in that region, beef (cows) were really very expensive - and what Beef there was, was generally imported from Australia.

So, how about lightening up on the South Koreans - let them do as they wish.
Even though there are some koreans who eat that, i don't really condone it because i don't like the suffering they have to go through. i understand that during famine and hard times in the past etc but not anymore. it's not so much because it's a dog but it's living conditions.

actually there are many koreans who have pets and do not approve of this either but it's a sensibility thing since they love thier pets and have that dog/cat issue. i just think it's horrendous because of thier suffering and being raised as food. any animal raised as food should not know they are being raised as food as in they should have a happy and fulfilling life, IF people refuse to become vegetarians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies