Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 06:20 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrey View Post
My point:
You don't have to work a minimum wage job your whole life just because you have set backs. Right now I have two Toyota Land Cruisers, a Land Rover Discovery II, and a Range Rover all sitting in my driveway. I wear a $6,000 Rolex diving watch. I have a modest 3 bedroom house in a nice area of town with hard wood floors. You might call me a success story, but I still see myself as climbing the ladder TO success.

Let's say someone is middle age and unskilled. How can they get ahead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milliebfit View Post
This does not make sense!!! Find the "door" that is right for you!! I would never raise my kids like this. My son is a mechanic, he went to trade school because he loves working on cars. Believe me he makes way more than minimum wage!!!!

Where else can you get three hours' wages for a 90-minute job?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Do you refuse merit raises?

The minimum wage sector is not conducive to merit raises.

Why would an employer give raises when there are plenty of people ready and qualified to do the same thing for minimum wage?

Especially with large employers in sectors like fast food, where managers might really want to give you a big raise but cannot do so because the corporate bean counters are hovering.

Especially with fast food managers who ruthlessly cut costs because they get paid based on profits and they want to save up enough money to buy a franchise.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:06 PM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Noone is demeaning those with mental deficiencies. As a given, these individuals are omitted from the discussion, as are those who are physically handicapped. This is about those who have no ambition, are lazy, and who expect others to provide for what should be their own responsibilities, though they are physically and mentally capable of doing better. Yet, there are many who feel that these people "deserve a raise". How so?
Many people who work these jobs are not lazy they work hard at there 1 sometimes two jobs they just do not have an opportunity to get a better job. If they do not make enough to have food to eat every night why should they not have a raise? Some people do not have the skills or brains to get a better job not there fault they were just born that way. Why is it not enough not that people are choosing to work instead of being lazy and sitting at home and they can not even make enough to live on? Since when does work of any kind not a good thing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies