Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:13 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
It doesn't bother me really that she was driving, but for communication purposes, speak ENGLISH and if you don't know it then learn it! This would have been a non issue if she spoke English.
A non-issue for who? For the officer who wrote the ticket? And he who wasted the court's time with this nonsense?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2010, 11:15 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,422,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
A non-issue for who? For the officer who wrote the ticket? And he who wasted the court's time with this nonsense?

The officer who wrote a ticket for an infraction that doesn't exist, you mean?

Old 04-27-2010, 11:16 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,229,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
Probably didn't even need English to do that.
http://artwork.yellowbook.com/adartw...068/488/87.png

I know we have tons like this in Vegas, I'm sure Dallas does as well.
And I'm sure when non-english speaking people are spending MONEY, no one cares?

Buy a new car...don't speak english? No worries, Hablamos Español!
Buying a new house...don't speak english? No Worries. Hablamos Español!
Need a life insurance policy...no worries!!!

It's amazing how language is only a problem when people make it one!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:54 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,279,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
For once, I agree with you there.

They should either have a tour guide with them or someone who understands English. I went to India two years back. I honestly would never THINK about driving. How would I know where I am going?
I drive all over Europe and Asia and don't speak all of the languages.
Guess what, they use international driving signs. Most countries outside of the US use them.

I have lots of friends who take motorcycle trips through India with no problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmdude View Post
One has to wonder about the concept of the international drivers' license. When I am in non-English speaking country where road signs are not in English, for safety, I do not rent a car even though most of these countries will allow the international driver's licence you can get from AAA. Legally I can rent but I do not. Like in the US, probably no one can give me a ticket for not speaking the local language since the international license presumes that I will be able to make sense of all the symbolic non-lingual road signs. But many road signs are simply in the local language. I think the international drivers license should be valid only if you can read some basic road signs of the country you are in. This makes it safer for everyone.
Your loss, then.
English is the language of travel.
If you're using a travel book, there are always sections with specific signs and peculiarities that you can review.
Again, most countries use internationally recognized signs.
If there is going to be any language other than the local language, English will be it.
In the past 6 weeks I've driven in Thailand, Poland, Czech, Germany, France and Switzerland.
With nary a propblem.

Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 AM

5,719 posts, read 6,447,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny-Days90 View Post
If you cannot speak or read English road signs you have no business driving a car in America.
I disagree. The basic rules of the road are the same everywhere. I know my friend and I went to Quebec, and I guess he's lucky I was there because "Lane Ends" was written only in French. But if I wasn't there? I'm guessing he would have been clued in by everyone turning on their blinker and the merge diagram.

It's why we've got pictures on the signs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies