U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 13,737,277 times
Reputation: 4537

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
In other words if the Congressmen of a Red State vote for this proposed bill they are voting for Schumer's state, Dodd's state, and Reid's state since Baucus is from a Red State. Why in hell can't we start thinking about the people of the United States instead of just Republicans or Democrats? Those colors pertain to Presidential elections and nothing else. Boy, do I wish people like you could stop trying to keep the people of this nation divided.
If a Congressman in a Red State voted for his program his State would very likely make out like a bandit.

Red States in general, do not generate enough in Federal revenues to pay for the Federal spending in their State.

The burden of this health care program which taxes the rich would fall heavily on Blue States because the average income is so much higher.

Knowing this, Red States will likely not opt out.

They are all about talking about how "independent they are" and how "responsible they are" but we know that's B.S...they love this system where they get more money coming in than what they pay out in taxes.

One could argue Blue States are too kind to these ingrates.

Look how high the percentage of uninsured is Red States already..http://www.ihatoday.org/about/facts/uninsured.htm

Last edited by padcrasher; 10-26-2009 at 05:24 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:14 PM
 
Location: The Great State of Texas, Finally!
5,380 posts, read 11,252,522 times
Reputation: 2524
This is just a way to make the public option look "okay" to those who are leary of it, with the concept that their states could opt out and they wouldn't have to worry about it. This also gets Congressmen off the hook from their constituents by using the "opt out/in" language. In reality, it's the same, slimey beast. The devil is in the details and those are never clear until after the fact, when you can't go back and the Govt has you by the balls.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:21 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 13,737,277 times
Reputation: 4537
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobolt View Post
This is just a way to make the public option look "okay" to those who are leary of it, with the concept that their states could opt out and they wouldn't have to worry about it. This also gets Congressmen off the hook from their constituents by using the "opt out/in" language. In reality, it's the same, slimey beast. The devil is in the details and those are never clear until after the fact, when you can't go back and the Govt has you by the balls.
In reality.

It makes these Red State blowhards put their money were their mouth is.

They love to badmouth government but when the option comes around to reject it.....they will "opt in"...because it would be poltical suicide not to....LOL

[But seriously, I hope a few do....They will become the laughing stock of the USA]
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Arizona High Desert
4,669 posts, read 5,344,607 times
Reputation: 2802
It's a big confuzzlement.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:30 PM
 
Location: TX
1,098 posts, read 1,665,872 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyj87 View Post
The "opt-out" provision should be grouped with two other government administered programs, Medicare and Social Security. In other words, if you opt out of the public option, you automatically opt out of Medicare and Social Security as well.
I for one would gladly opt to keep the Medicare and Social Security taxes withheld from my paycheck every month - I'm not anticipating collecting a single penny of benefit from either of these black holes since they will be bankrupt long before I'd be able to collect anyway.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:31 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,765 posts, read 26,317,521 times
Reputation: 12287
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The new "thing" about health care reform is that states can opt-out... what does that mean? I know its funded in part by a specific number of groups of people... does that mean taxes will be only for those who live in the states that "opt-in"??? Whats the point of opting out if you are going to have to pay for it? Or does it work differently? Anyone know?
The idea is that public option will be available for purchase but states have the option to opt out of it. In that case, people in the states that oppose public option will not be able to buy public health insurance and instead will rely on private health insurance companies only.

I think it will be a smart move.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Obama has to have public option. Pelosi and Reid have to have public option...
But... Beck should have you believe that American people don't want it!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:33 PM
 
13,180 posts, read 13,737,277 times
Reputation: 4537
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I for one would gladly opt to keep the Medicare and Social Security taxes withheld from my paycheck every month - I'm not anticipating collecting a single penny of benefit from either of these black holes since they will be bankrupt long before I'd be able to collect anyway.
That's because your a victim of right wing propaganda.

You're too apathetic or lazy to research the subject yourself to see if your Social Security benefits are at risk of you not receiving "a single penny"..


Here let me toss you a bone.....Read the "Conclusion"................http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/TR/2009/trTOC.html
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:35 PM
 
Location: TX
1,098 posts, read 1,665,872 times
Reputation: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
That's because your a victim of right wing propaganda.

You're too apathetic or lazy to research the subject yourself to see if your Social Security benefits are at risk of you not receiving "a single penny"..
Calm down sparky, you're gonna blow an aneurysm

Seriously, though. My plans for my future (including financial,retirement,health,healthcare and general personal condition) do not include any anticipation of funds from any governement run program. Therefore I would not have any problem opting out of Medicare and Social Security. That's what I meant - nothing more and nothing less. No need to make personal attacks.

Last edited by tyanger; 10-26-2009 at 05:54 PM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:36 PM
 
Location: OUTTA SIGHT!
3,023 posts, read 3,093,125 times
Reputation: 1899
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The new "thing" about health care reform is that states can opt-out... what does that mean? I know its funded in part by a specific number of groups of people... does that mean taxes will be only for those who live in the states that "opt-in"??? Whats the point of opting out if you are going to have to pay for it? Or does it work differently? Anyone know?
Did you really expect to get a straight answer here on C-D?LOL
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2009, 05:41 PM
 
Location: Dallas, TX
31,765 posts, read 26,317,521 times
Reputation: 12287
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyj87 View Post
The "opt-out" provision should be grouped with two other government administered programs, Medicare and Social Security. In other words, if you opt out of the public option, you automatically opt out of Medicare and Social Security as well.
Even better idea! Forget states... leave it up to individuals. Self-defeaters ought to get a taste of everything they scream for.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top