U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 05:52 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,408,373 times

Advertisements

This is what you'll really get.

YouTube - Congressman Mike Rogers' opening statement on Health Care reform in

It looks like they could save Soc. Sec. for future generations. Less checks going out for less people for a shorter time if they can get that far. Since the older generation won't get the health care that will be needed. I hate to say that cause it really is a sad state of affairs going on in our country.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,515,923 times
How about this:

Allow Americans below the age of, say, 40, the right to Opt Out of Social Security and Medicare, and thereby not "contribute" to the "system". A requirement could be that to Opt out, the person would have to be enrolled in some sort of authorized retirement plans.

I was able to opt out of SS and Medicare over 30 years ago. I have not paid one red cent into it in over 3 decades. I can never get Social Security nor Medicare. And, I am the happiest camper ever! My retirement income, from that portion that would have gone to SS, is 5 times HIGHER a month than I would have gotten from Social Security. I provide for my own health care / insurance also.

There is no reason to FORCE AMERICANS to pay into something they do not want.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:04 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,744,805 times
[quote=Greatday;11356196]How about this:

Allow Americans below the age of, say, 40, the right to Opt Out of Social Security and Medicare, and thereby not "contribute" to the "system". A requirement could be that to Opt out, the person would have to be enrolled in some sort of authorized retirement plans.

I was able to opt out of SS and Medicare over 30 years ago. I have not paid one red cent into it in over 3 decades. I can never get Social Security nor Medicare. And, I am the happiest camper ever! My retirement income, from that portion that would have gone to SS, is 5 times HIGHER a month than I would have gotten from Social Security. I provide for my own health care / insurance also.

There is no reason to FORCE AMERICANS to pay into something they do not

You were forced to invest it in a government administered program somewhere else. So who are you trying to fool?

And also in your proposed plan. Since you can "opt out" of Social Security...who will pay the benefits of the present day retirees?

You do know that's where ALL their benefits come from?................ We are not dipping into the SS trust fund yet.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:10 PM

98 posts, read 84,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I was able to opt out of SS and Medicare over 30 years ago.
How the heck did you do that?

Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 PM

13,604 posts, read 8,538,877 times
My first impression of the opt-out, public plan was that Solomon came back and authored the bill. For months there has been this cacophony from the right about how bad the public option would be. Meanwhile, the republican politicians claim to want healthcare reform but reject the public option as the major stumbling block. Now both sides get what they want. Liberals get the public option and conservatives can go back to their constituents and tell them they don’t need it. Seems like everybody gets what they want out of the deal.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:16 PM

4,089 posts, read 4,915,794 times
The opt-out is the clause that makes it constitutional. They will allow states to reject it, but make it so financially unattractive that none will.

Old 10-26-2009, 06:21 PM

25,106 posts, read 36,515,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
You were forced to invest it in a government administered program somewhere else. So who are you trying to fool?
Actually, I was not "forced" into any government administered program. When I withdrew, I signed a form saying I withdrew - that I understood I could never apply for, or recieve, any government benefits of any kind. Nor could my family.\

I know its different now - but, much easier back then

Old 10-26-2009, 06:32 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,871,028 times
Reid says he's going to write up a public option and states can opt out. 2014 is the date he's putting forward for the opt-out date.

And with this new "plan" of his, he lost Snowe's support.
One of those links below should make everyone happy....

Reid Gambles On Public Option In Health Care Bill : NPR
Reid backs health care public option - CNN.com
Reid: "The Public Option With An Opt-Out Is The One That's Fair"

Old 10-26-2009, 06:50 PM

13,180 posts, read 13,744,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
The opt-out is the clause that makes it constitutional. They will allow states to reject it, but make it so financially unattractive that none will.
Besides some tea bagger consipracy blog.

Can you source your claim that without the "opt out" option it's unconstitutional?

First we had "birthers"...no we have "tenthers".

Old 10-26-2009, 07:16 PM

86,068 posts, read 76,871,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Besides some tea bagger consipracy blog.

Can you source your claim that without the "opt out" option it's unconstitutional?

First we had "birthers"...no we have "tenthers".
Some of FDR's plans during the Great Depression were thrown out by the Supreme Court as unconstitutional. The Fedgov had no right or authority to initiate and run some of those programs. Many of FDR's programs got off the ground but some were shot down by the Supreme Court.

The wording is vague enough in the Constitution that there just might be a chance of a suit brought up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies