Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 07:33 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,031,690 times

Advertisements

Is anyone watching this? I empathize w/ a lot of the issues, esp. surrounding Education...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 11:38 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
Is anyone watching this? I empathize w/ a lot of the issues, esp. surrounding Education...
I watched some of it.

I knew things were 'bad' in California and SW US but haven't been keeping up with all that is going on.

It's overwhelming. Lots of tough decisions are required.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:55 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,613,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Peruvian-Americans might not have a history of being discriminated against in America but Mexican-Americans and Puerto Ricans do.
The real problem is that there are too many hyphenated Americans, which detracts from the number of Americans (hyphen neither present nor desirable).

Old 10-22-2009, 01:06 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,850,172 times
Before this country is ever going to get past race each race is going to have to clean out their own race.

You cant call someone in your race a racial slur but think no one can use that same racial slur

Also you need to clean your own race out of the racist.

Its like the old saying you must have your own house clean before you try and clean someone elses.

Maybe one day everyone will realize this and we can actually do something about racism in this country

( this is for all people of all races)

Old 10-22-2009, 01:07 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
I'm enjoying the series. I especially liked the perspective of Rick Martinez (CNN Reporter) on the difficulty in raising his children bilingual when his wife speaks only English. Fascinating topic, and of broad interest, I would think.

I hope some people also caught the recent PBS three-part series on Latin music. It was fascinating. Remember Santana? Tito Puentes? Cuban Pete? Great stuff!!!!

Old 10-22-2009, 01:21 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,494,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I'm enjoying the series. I especially liked the perspective of Rick Martinez (CNN Reporter) on the difficulty in raising his children bilingual when his wife speaks only English. Fascinating topic, and of broad interest, I would think.

I hope some people also caught the recent PBS three-part series on Latin music. It was fascinating. Remember Santana? Tito Puentes? Cuban Pete? Great stuff!!!!
That was a good segment.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:41 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,669,044 times

"Particularly in the West, Chinese immigrants, East Indians, Native Americans and Mexicans were also lynching victims. The lynching of Mexicans and Mexican Americans in the Southwest was long overlooked in American history, attention being chiefly focused on the South. The Tuskegee Institute, which kept the most complete records, noted the victims as simply black or white. Mexican, Chinese, and Native American lynching victims were recorded as white...

Researchers estimate 597 Mexicans were lynched between 1848 and 1928. Mexicans were lynched at a rate of 27.4 per 100,000 of population between 1880 and 1930. This statistic was second only to that of the African American community, which endured an average of 37.1 per 100,000 of population during that period. Between 1848 and 1879, Mexicans were lynched at an unprecedented rate of 473 per 100,000 of population."
[The lynching of persons of Mexican origin or descent in the United States, 1848 to 1928. A scholarly article by WD Carrigan in the Journal of Social History]

Last edited by Mike from back east; 10-26-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 05:17 PM

98 posts, read 99,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
Wow...as a black person this post kind of struck hard. Not really sure why but it did. I for one will be glad when this country have gotten past the "past" and race issues, but it hasn't.
And as a black person your race has been through the wringer the last couple of hundred years in this country alone. Thankfully, things are a lot different today but the oppression and abuse that black people have gone through is nothing less than disgusting.

Old 10-26-2009, 05:20 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chanteuse d' Opéra View Post
I watched parts of it and it was decent but I felt more attention could have been paid to the issues that Central American latinos (including Mexicans) have with America and the issues we have with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies