Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2009, 09:17 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,653 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but I have to rant about this issue becuase I am fed up.

I really am getting sick and tried of hearing how everything is the fault of white cultures/peoples. It's one thing to look back on history and remember the abject horror of slavery, colonialism, Jim Crow and the like. Obviously, we need to talk about the history behind our world and get those skeletons out of the closet. But frankly, I don't like the mindset that has propelled the whole discussion about racism. Yes, is there racism and hate in the Western World? Damn skippy, and it's disgusting. But let's bring some facts here:

Name one other region of the world other than Europe where the indigenous population has opened it's doors to the poor and driven to come and settle from around the world. Name one non-european power that willingly retreated from it's colonial past, and has been as open about the horrors it's inflicted upon others. Name one other culture where despite it's idiots, has willingly stood up against itself to defend peoples of other heritages.

Is life in the US/The West perfect for minorites? absolutley not. There is still plenty of cultural bigotry and inequalites that should be addressed, but then again, I don't see too many posts about people wanting to move to non-white areas (Japan excluded). I see more Hatians willing to move to France than vice versa. So if whites are all hateful, genocidal monsters, then why is that? My "White" side of my family has hues ranging from Bush to Obama. My "White" mom took care of her "Tan" son when his "Black" dad didn't want anything to do with him. I guess she's a racist. And for all the talk about how Western Civlization is a blight upon humanity, how many of you would willingly leave the white, western world? *crickets*.

All of this talk about America's supposed "racism" started after Obama began to go lower in the polls, and is a ploy to shut up dissidents. It would be one thing if these threads genuinley sought to dissect what still needs to be done in society, but it seems mostly to create a climate of "If you don't agree w/ me, then you're a bigot".

I had to get that off my back, but let's try to have a little bit of honesty here for a change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 09:23 AM

78,382 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
All of this talk about America's supposed "racism" started after Obama began to go lower in the polls....
Actually it's been going on for a long time.

Specific to Obama, you would hear it a lot during the primary when Hillary would win a state like W. Virginia they were racist rednecks...and when Mississippi voted heavy Obama with significant racial overtones...*crickets*.

Then, we had to hear race baiters claim that white America wouldn't elect Obama or that white supremicists would assassinate him during the presidential campaign....sigh.

I voted for Obama, he's a decent guy so let's not drag him into this. There is still racism and it comes in all ethnicities and skin colors. I personally am pleased with the progress that has been made over the last couple decades.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:44 AM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
Yea, this has been ongoing for a long time. I'm pretty sure that if I was dilligent then I could drag up posts and threads before the election (and if I was really dedicated long before that) on race. You can either deal with the racism and inequality now or you can deal with it in 50 years. Your call.

However, no one is blaiming "white, American culture as a whole" unless you want to play in the land of extremists. Unfortunately, the only place people want to is the extremes.

Old 10-26-2009, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Yea, this has been ongoing for a long time. I'm pretty sure that if I was dilligent then I could drag up posts and threads before the election (and if I was really dedicated long before that) on race. You can either deal with the racism and inequality now or you can deal with it in 50 years. Your call.

However, no one is blaiming "white, American culture as a whole" unless you want to play in the land of extremists. Unfortunately, the only place people want to is the extremes.
I haven't seen very many or any posters deny we still have mucho work to do on race relations. If we genuinley could start a serious discussion on the issue, then that'd be great. However, this is what I see:

Why are all Blacks criminals?

White girl turns down Black Guy: America's racism marches on

Black guy caught jay-walking, is Obama enabling criminals?

If you don't like government spedning, you are a Neo-Nazi

I get equally mad when people blame Obama for dumb stuff. However, the left has zero right to talk, since people called Bush Hitler and many threads detailed how they wished he would die.

My feeling is that racism is becoming to the Obama era what Terrorism was to Bush. whenever Bush f-ed up, the "Terror Alert Level" went up. Now, when Obama isn't doing so hot, the "White America's racist campiagn of Terror and Destruction (aka Tea Parties)" BS begins.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Quote:

I really am getting sick and tried of hearing how everything is the fault of white cultures/peoples. It's one thing to look back on history and remember the abject horror of slavery, colonialism, Jim Crow and the like.

White people ("Caucasians") are the dominant people not just of Europe, but Africa north of the Sahara and southern Asia all the way to Burma. So, who, exactly, are you talking about? White Christians? Western Europeans?

Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I haven't seen very many or any posters deny we still have mucho work to do on race relations. If we genuinley could start a serious discussion on the issue, then that'd be great. However, this is what I see:

Why are all Blacks criminals?

White girl turns down Black Guy: America's racism marches on

Black guy caught jay-walking, is Obama enabling criminals?

If you don't like government spedning, you are a Neo-Nazi

I get equally mad when people blame Obama for dumb stuff. However, the left has zero right to talk, since people called Bush Hitler and many threads detailed how they wished he would die.

My feeling is that racism is becoming to the Obama era what Terrorism was to Bush. whenever Bush f-ed up, the "Terror Alert Level" went up. Now, when Obama isn't doing so hot, the "White America's racist campiagn of Terror and Destruction (aka Tea Parties)" BS begins.
Many posters won't deny it, providing that its not an attack or feels like an attack. Someone, will notoriously jump in and say something to the equivelent of slavery ended blah, blah, blah don't go using that as an excuse. Now, everybody is on the defense.

When you start defining people as "from the left" have no room to talk, your equally contributing to the dilemma because your only giving people one of two voices and has become, in and of itself, extremism. A rallying cry to one or the other camps. In the meantime, the real questions aren't asked.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:37 AM

13,138 posts, read 22,810,657 times
I don't see it as a racial problem necessarily (athough it certainly plays a part). Rather, it's a tale of the dominant power subjugating the other people it comes across. Most recently, it has been western Europe against the world. But once it was the Mongols, the Romans, the Assyrians, the Persians, the Egyptains, ect ect.

Humans are a violent species. Western Europeans were no slouches when it came to demonstrating human nature, but they were by no means the only ones.

But I too am sick of hearing about the "white demons"

Old 10-26-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandamonium View Post
Many posters won't deny it, providing that its not an attack or feels like an attack. Someone, will notoriously jump in and say something to the equivelent of slavery ended blah, blah, blah don't go using that as an excuse. Now, everybody is on the defense.

When you start defining people as "from the left" have no room to talk, your equally contributing to the dilemma because your only giving people one of two voices and has become, in and of itself, extremism. A rallying cry to one or the other camps. In the meantime, the real questions aren't asked.
Occasionally, spades need to be called spades. While I agree that making boxes for people is bad, it is mostly the left that come out with these damming posts basically saying anyone who doesn't agree w/ our ideology is a bigot.

All this is doing is giving genuine white bigots a platform from which to operate. Issues don't get resolved by PC speak, they get resolved by honesty. Weither it's talking about systematic racism in the Justice system or the not-so-PC facts behind crime and race, only by confronting opinions head on does anything get done.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Occasionally, spades need to be called spades. While I agree that making boxes for people is bad, it is mostly the left that come out with these damming posts basically saying anyone who doesn't agree w/ our ideology is a bigot.

All this is doing is giving genuine white bigots a platform from which to operate. Issues don't get resolved by PC speak, they get resolved by honesty. Weither it's talking about systematic racism in the Justice system or the not-so-PC facts behind crime and race, only by confronting opinions head on does anything get done.
Yes, they do.

But, I don't see anyone asking ligitimate questions either.

Its like looking at death row inmates whites vs blacks, great up until you start looking at what race the victims are. We just don't actually have conversations that get that far to point that out.

I think that the media has gone so far as to decide what questions should be asked and have, therefore, provided convenient answers. The problems are not because of the left. I think that this has become a cop out.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:56 PM

/\ Yes, I agree that the powers that be are invested in keeping people fighting and operating on false pretenses w/ regards to this issue.

I just get fustrated sometimes w/ what I see in this fourm. I was rasied believeing that ignorance was on it's final march into oblivon but it seems stronger than ever.

Also, I just get angered by double standards. Just like it's enraging to see Blacks get typecast as criminals, it's equally distrubing to see people write of Western Civilization/Whites as being nothing more than villians on the world stage. Every group on the planet has blood on their hands and the sooner we realize that, the sooner we get closer to the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies