Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-26-2009, 11:39 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times

Advertisements

Liberal media is something that once existed, before the days of corporate for profit news/entertainment, but today to suggest that the "media" itself is a liberal thing is not only laughable but borders on delusional as it is so obvious that it isn't any longer.

Sure there are liberal and conservative commentators offering their opinions 24/7, but the institution of mass media today could care less about liberalism or conservatism, it does care about profitability and as such doesn't care which team wins, only that the stands are filled.

While many people today still hold the fantasy that the institution of mass/corporate media is a liberal thing, I often have pointed out how pro-war the media actually is. One would think that a liberal media would pound anti-war stories into the minds of its viewers on a daily basis but this is not the case. When liberal personalities like Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews oft repeat suggesting for actions against places like Iran, it makes one wonder.

Even back in 2003, FAIR did a similar study in which they found that:

Quote:
Nearly two thirds of all sources, 64 percent, were pro-war, while 71 percent of U.S. guests favored the war. Anti-war voices were 10 percent of all sources, but just 6 percent of non-Iraqi sources and 3 percent of U.S. sources. Thus viewers were more than six times as likely to see a pro-war source as one who was anti-war; with U.S. guests alone, the ratio increases to 25 to 1.
Amplifying Officials, Squelching Dissent

Source info:
Quote:
Starting the day after the bombing of Iraq began on March 19, the three-week study (3/20/03-4/9/03) looked at 1,617 on-camera sources appearing in stories about Iraq on the evening newscasts of six television networks and news channels. The news programs studied were ABC World News Tonight, CBS Evening News, NBC Nightly News, CNN’s Wolf Blitzer Reports, Fox’s Special Report with Brit Hume, and PBS’s NewsHour With Jim Lehrer. [The study was conducted using Nexis database transcripts. At publicatoin time, transcripts for six World News Tonight dates and two NewsHour dates were unavailable.]

How quickly we forget the scandal of the United States government's selling of the war in Iraq by retired generals and military personnel.

EXCLUSIVE...Pentagon Pundits: New York Times Reporter David Barstow Wins Pulitzer Prize for Exposing Military's Pro-War Propaganda Media Campaign
Quote:
New York Times reporter David Barstow speaks about his 2009 Pulitzer Prize-winning expose of the Pentagon propaganda campaign to recruit more than seventy-five retired military officers to appear on TV outlets as military analysts ahead of and during the Iraq war. This week, the Pentagon inspector general’s office admitted its exoneration of the program was flawed and withdrew it.
Even the American Conservative magazine issued a story related to the selling of war to the American people.

The American Conservative -- Selling War
Quote:
As details continue to emerge about the U.S. government’s interference with the press and manipulation of public opinion during the Iraq War, one inevitably hears the lament that such actions are out of keeping with the tradition of American democracy
So I have to ask, with so many on the right today pointing out how Obama is in some incestuous relationship with the alleged liberal media, asserting that government and media can and do often act as one, then why is it so hard to believe this took place during the last administration? Why also do those on the left who pointed this out during the last administration believe that it couldn't happen under Obama? I believe both political factions see it, they know it, and look reality dead in the eye and deny it.

Are American's simply too lazy or stuck in some archaic and dogmatic belief that media today is a left or right thing instead of the obvious, social engineering through sound marketing for mere profit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2009, 11:53 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Liberal media is something that once existed, before the days of corporate for profit news/entertainment, but today to suggest that the "media" itself is a liberal thing is not only laughable but borders on delusional as it is so obvious that it isn't any longer.

Sure there are liberal and conservative commentators offering their opinions 24/7, but the institution of mass media today could care less about liberalism or conservatism, it does care about profitability and as such doesn't care which team wins, only that the stands are filled.

While many people today still hold the fantasy that the institution of mass/corporate media is a liberal thing, I often have pointed out how pro-war the media actually is. One would think that a liberal media would pound anti-war stories into the minds of its viewers on a daily basis but this is not the case. When liberal personalities like Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews oft repeat suggesting for actions against places like Iran, it makes one wonder.

Even back in 2003, FAIR did a similar study in which they found that:

Amplifying Officials, Squelching Dissent

Source info:

How quickly we forget the scandal of the United States government's selling of the war in Iraq by retired generals and military personnel.

EXCLUSIVE...Pentagon Pundits: New York Times Reporter David Barstow Wins Pulitzer Prize for Exposing Military's Pro-War Propaganda Media Campaign

Even the American Conservative magazine issued a story related to the selling of war to the American people.

The American Conservative -- Selling War

So I have to ask, with so many on the right today pointing out how Obama is in some incestuous relationship with the alleged liberal media, asserting that government and media can and do often act as one, then why is it so hard to believe this took place during the last administration? Why also do those on the left who pointed this out during the last administration believe that it couldn't happen under Obama? I believe both political factions see it, they know it, and look reality dead in the eye and deny it.

Are American's simply too lazy or stuck in some archaic and dogmatic belief that media today is a left or right thing instead of the obvious, social engineering through sound marketing for mere profit?
The paper that I call the "Bible of the left", the al Times of New York has been showing tendencies to do what you have been talking about in supporting war but I didn't see that in the earlier part of this century.
As for Maddow and Matthews being warlike, didn't Obama call Afghanistan his war in the campaign and don't they support him down the line? I don't see anything like the amount of media support for the unpopular war in Afghanistan like they did for Iraq. Could that be something other than money? I think so but then I am very biased by my own admission..

Old 10-26-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The paper that I call the "Bible of the left", the al Times of New York has been showing tendencies to do what you have been talking about in supporting war but I didn't see that in the earlier part of this century.
As for Maddow and Matthews being warlike, didn't Obama call Afghanistan his war in the campaign and don't they support him down the line? I don't see anything like the amount of media support for the unpopular war in Afghanistan like they did for Iraq. Could that be something other than money? I think so but then I am very biased by my own admission..
The war in Afghanistan is hard to sell to the American public today, after all we have been there for 8 years and people are pretty tired of it. However, I would say the media has been rather soft handed towards Obama on the issue of Iraq and Afghanistan and I'm willing to bet that contemporary media will offer continued calls for intervention into Iran and we will see what kind of a spine Obama actually has.

However this isn't about Obama so much as it is about media being corporate marketing which favors a pro-war position as opposed to merely being a liberal institution. Media changed a great deal after Vietnam and into the early 90's, and has since become far more sophisticated in how it guides public opinion to any given issue. Even still, thanks to the internet and the modern world of spread sheets and data acquisition, it isn't too hard to look at raw data and statistics of what information is being offered as news, how often it is repeated, what is omitted, and who gets a voice.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:11 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
24 hour news channels seem to want anything to fill their air time. It doesn't matter if it's "Balloon boy" or a war.
Quote:
I make my living off the evening news
Just give me something-something I can use
People love it when you lose,
They love dirty laundry

Well, I coulda been an actor, but I wound up here
I just have to look good, I dont have to be clear
Come and whisper in my ear
Give us dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em all around

We got the bubble-headed-bleach-blonde who
Comes on at five
She can tell you bout the plane crash with a gleam
In her eye
Its interesting when people die-
Give us dirty laundry

Can we film the operation?
Is the head dead yet?
You know, the boys in the newsroom got a
Running bet
Get the widow on the set!
We need dirty laundry

You dont really need to find out whats going on
You dont really want to know just how far its gone
Just leave well enough alone
Eat your dirty laundry

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down

Kick em when theyre up
Kick em when theyre down
Kick em when theyre stiff
Kick em all around

Dirty little secrets
Dirty little lies
We got our dirty little fingers in everybodys pie
We love to cut you down to size
We love dirty laundry

We can do the innuendo
We can dance and sing
When its said and done we havent told you a thing
We all know that crap is king
Give us dirty laundry!

Old 10-26-2009, 12:17 PM

2,735 posts, read 2,464,867 times
Was there any US news channel or commentator critizising the war in Iraq?

Old 10-26-2009, 12:19 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,706,964 times
How Republican, why fight a war if there is no profit in it

Old 10-26-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamky View Post
Was there any US news channel or commentator critizising the war in Iraq?
There were individuals critical of the evidence leading to the war in Iraq, and even some of the mainstream news would offer some geeky looking fellow with an anti-war view while surrounded by 4 pro-war guests and they would eviscerate the one lone voice. Watched it happen on several occasions.

As far as an actual media outlet being critical of the war, I can only think of LinkTV which airs Democracy Now as the only channel offering a consistent anti-war view, but it is an obscure cable station so far down on the channel list it is surrounded by religious programming in the nose bleed section of station line ups.

There have been some anti-war articles printed in the written press but again, they are usually on page 11, tucked between 800 lb man gets custom sheets made, and woman runs red light in NY gets a ticket.

If the media were liberal and anti-war, then all it would take is airing actual battlefield pictures and video of war and our intervention in the Middle East would be over in a week.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:50 PM

93 posts, read 172,476 times
Its not about whether theyre liberal or not, its about the fact they are all instruments of the NWO. The whole point of operations in the middle east is the pacification of the people to live there, to make the final transition to one world government appear more peaceful, regardless of the bloodshed that will occur in the next 20-50 years that it takes to be imposed on them.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:58 PM

9,984 posts, read 10,397,060 times
American media today is mostly corporate controlled and as such it is not liberal or conservative, but corporate. The most obvious example of this is if you watch the Sunday morning shows. On some of them every other ad is for GE, ADM or some other very very large corporate interest. This is not so much because they want to sell jet engines to viewers as it is about their desire for content control so that they can influence there major customer/regulator...the US Government. Compare that to advertisements on other non-political networks which tend to be geared towards selling goods and services to viewers, i.e. car dealerships, insurance, attorneys, local groceries etc.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:59 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Media is a member of the government/business collusion. Why should they be against any war which serves its real purpose which is to inflate the people's "debt" to those who own the government/business collusion? That would simply be bad business...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies