Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 09:37 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
How many were due to the personal choices of the mother (obesity, alcoholism, and drug addiction)? So what do you want the government to do; lead each person by the hand and dictate to them what they can or cannot eat? Sit in their home and car to prevent them from ingesting or injecting or smoking drugs? Sit there next to the woman at all times to protect her from a murderous "babydaddy" or a crazy woman who wants a baby so bad she's willing to murder for it?
Oh, goody, more of the blame it on the women mentality!

Who said anything about wanting the government to do anything? No one.

As a women, I would like my doctor to use his education and experience to accurately assess my risk factors and to proceed from there. I don't want my doctor pushing a c-section because he's got 3 more women lined up in the delivery room. I would like the decision about post-delivery care to be left in the hands of myself and the doctor, and for the insurance company to respect that decision, not to override it.

This article didn't say it, but one of the reasons American women have a high mortality rate is because American women have the shortest hospital stays in the world. The shortest hospital stays not because longer stays aren't necessary, but because insurance companies don't want to pay for longer stays. Those post-delivery complications, they usually don't happen in the hospital. They happen at home, when a new mother is trying to figure out how to care for her newborn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 09:43 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,515,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Oh, goody, more of the blame it on the women mentality!

Who said anything about wanting the government to do anything? No one.

As a women, I would like my doctor to use his education and experience to accurately assess my risk factors and to proceed from there. I don't want my doctor pushing a c-section because he's got 3 more women lined up in the delivery room. I would like the decision about post-delivery care to be left in the hands of myself and the doctor, and for the insurance company to respect that decision, not to override it.

This article didn't say it, but one of the reasons American women have a high mortality rate is because American women have the shortest hospital stays in the world. The shortest hospital stays not because longer stays aren't necessary, but because insurance companies don't want to pay for longer stays. Those post-delivery complications, they usually don't happen in the hospital. They happen at home, when a new mother is trying to figure out how to care for her newborn.
If the article didn't state it then you're making an assumption based upon your personal idology for government run health care and the abolishment of private insurance industry. That's the problem with the article. It doesn't make any mention of the cause of the deaths. Morbid obesity, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and abusive relationships are all proven causes of death in these situations. As for your remark about C-sections, you can thank John Edwards and his lawsuits against OB/GYN for the rise in the number of C-sections.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
If the article didn't state it then you're making an assumption based upon your personal idology for government run health care and the abolishment of private insurance industry. That's the problem with the article. It doesn't make any mention of the cause of the deaths. Morbid obesity, alcohol abuse, drug abuse, and abusive relationships are all proven causes of death in these situations. As for your remark about C-sections, you can thank John Edwards and his lawsuits against OB/GYN for the rise in the number of C-sections.
I'm not making an assumption based upon personal ideology. This is not about government-run healthcare. One more time, to be sure you catch it, this is not about government-run healthcare. Do you get that?

This is not about government-run healthcare. This is about women dying needlessly. The article doesn't mention the shorter hospital stays, but there are other studies out there. Google might be your friend.

In the meantime, unlike you, I don't blame women for dying in childbirth or related complications. I just want to prevent it.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:20 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post

Ya mean the U.S. is NOT number One with the Best Health Care in the world!!!!

Ya mean our health care system isn't working well???

Hey, let's do what the Repubs did for the last 8 years?!! NOTHING!
Or we could follow the Liberal Model for ensuring maternal health by aborting every child. Isnt' that what you folks say is the primary reason for aborting a child to begin with? So why don't we just keep it simple and follow the Liberal Instruction Guide to Procreation?

There. Maternal health problem solved.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Or we could follow the Liberal Model for ensuring maternal health by aborting every child. Isnt' that what you folks say is the primary reason for aborting a child to begin with? So why don't we just keep it simple and follow the Liberal Instruction Guide to Procreation?

There. Maternal health problem solved.
Let's not make this into an abortion thread.

This thread is about women who live in the United States and give birth here, at the highest cost in the developed world, and who die needlessly at a faster rate than in other countries where expense of childbirth is considerably less.

The article is from a British paper, and includes some negative cultural factors commonly associated with the United States, but it carefully avoids coming to any conclusions.

The factors it cites are significant and deserve to be addressed. But there are other factors as well. One of the factors I mentioned is the short hospital stays that are typical in the United States. Those shorter hospital stays have often been mandated by insurance companies as a cost-saving measure, and doctors and patients are given little say in the matter. Even when laws are passed forcing insurance companies to comply with longer stays, the legislation doesn't normally apply to women/infants without insurance, who simply cannot afford to stay in the hospital, even though this group often exhibits the highest risk factors.

And shorter hospital stays are not just linked with maternal mortality rates, but are consistently and significantly linked with higher newborn readmission rates and higher mortality rates of infants aged less than a year.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:02 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Let's not make this into an abortion thread.

This thread is about women who live in the United States and give birth here, at the highest cost in the developed world, and who die needlessly at a faster rate than in other countries where expense of childbirth is considerably less.

The article is from a British paper, and includes some negative cultural factors commonly associated with the United States, but it carefully avoids coming to any conclusions.

The factors it cites are significant and deserve to be addressed. But there are other factors as well. One of the factors I mentioned is the short hospital stays that are typical in the United States. Those shorter hospital stays have often been mandated by insurance companies as a cost-saving measure, and doctors and patients are given little say in the matter. Even when laws are passed forcing insurance companies to comply with longer stays, the legislation doesn't normally apply to women/infants without insurance, who simply cannot afford to stay in the hospital, even though this group often exhibits the highest risk factors.

And shorter hospital stays are not just linked with maternal mortality rates, but are consistently and significantly linked with higher newborn readmission rates and higher mortality rates of infants aged less than a year.
Absolutely true about the shorter hospital stays for new mothers -- unconscionable, this is something we REALLY shouldnt put up with. Also unnecessary c-sections to keep doctors' legal liability down.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:11 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Things every American is guaranteed:

A free education
The right to pursue whatever vocation he desires
Control of his destiny

Those three things alone make America unique in the world. Hardly hobbles us.
And I would argue that those two things are not guaranteed when, as we see in another thread, people are making decisions about their vocations and destinies based on the availability of health insurance and/or lack thereof.
How many people have been thwarted from pursuing their dreams because they had to take and keep a job that provided health insurance?

How many people have been prevented from starting small businesses because they couldn't afford an individual policy?

I would argue that we absolutely are hobbled by the loss of entreprenureship and creativity that are the direct results of the costs of and limits on healthcare in this country.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
The answers are complex. A healthcare system which leaves what Dr Lu estimates are 17 million women of child-bearing age without health insurance could be one factor.

Where is the source, the facts, or anything else to back this up? Typical BBC non-sense. Provide a "guess" with nothing to back it up.

Obesity, poverty and the high rate of C-sections in America all play a part.

None of which have to do with National Healthcare system as noted above. Again, no facts, sources, or anything else to back this up.

Dr Lu says about half of American women are entering pregnancy overweight. "Obesity is a major risk factor for pregnancy-related complications.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.

"First we need to improve the health of women before they get pregnant, and second we need to improve the quality of maternal care in America."

Wow... I just did a search on this doctor. He pretty much towes every liberal argument in the books.

Dr. Michael Lu is a UCLA obstetrician and gynecologist, whose “life-course
perspective” suggests that the added stress burden of racism over a lifetime,
not just during pregnancy, increases the risk of pre-term labor."

Hmm.. so now its racism that does it.

This doctor is mixing politics and liberal agendas with his political beliefs and masquerading as an "unbiased" professional source.

Sorry Doctor, all of your articles, and the fact that infant and mother mortality rates are so low totally debunks your opinions which you put forward to push your political agenda.

Maternal mortality (most recent) by country

Average maternal mortality rate in the world is 207 per 100,000.

The United States has 8 per 100,000

All of those scandinavian countries have 5 or 6 per 100,000

Give me a break.

Nice reporting there BBC.

Old 10-27-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlilesiu View Post
The answers are complex. A healthcare system which leaves what Dr Lu estimates are 17 million women of child-bearing age without health insurance could be one factor.

Where is the source, the facts, or anything else to back this up? Typical BBC non-sense. Provide a "guess" with nothing to back it up.

Obesity, poverty and the high rate of C-sections in America all play a part.

None of which have to do with National Healthcare system as noted above. Again, no facts, sources, or anything else to back this up.

Dr Lu says about half of American women are entering pregnancy overweight. "Obesity is a major risk factor for pregnancy-related complications.

Ok, now we are getting somewhere.

"First we need to improve the health of women before they get pregnant, and second we need to improve the quality of maternal care in America."

Wow... I just did a search on this doctor. He pretty much towes every liberal argument in the books.

Dr. Michael Lu is a UCLA obstetrician and gynecologist, whose “life-course
perspective” suggests that the added stress burden of racism over a lifetime,
not just during pregnancy, increases the risk of pre-term labor."

Hmm.. so now its racism that does it.

This doctor is mixing politics and liberal agendas with his political beliefs and masquerading as an "unbiased" professional source.

Sorry Doctor, all of your articles, and the fact that infant and mother mortality rates are so low totally debunks your opinions which you put forward to push your political agenda.

Maternal mortality (most recent) by country

Average maternal mortality rate in the world is 207 per 100,000.

The United States has 8 per 100,000

All of those scandinavian countries have 5 or 6 per 100,000

Give me a break.

Nice reporting there BBC.
So it's your argument that women who die needlessly as a result of childbirth are no big deal????

If we're doing worse than Croatia, then why are we spending so much money on childbirth?

Old 10-27-2009, 02:38 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,685,741 times
Quote:
So it's your argument that women who die needlessly as a result of childbirth are no big deal????

If we're doing worse than Croatia, then why are we spending so much money on childbirth?
Its my opinion that this Doctor is reading the statistics as he sees fit to push his political beliefs.

He acknowledges that Obesity and a whole host of other issues can affect the rate of maternal mortality. Then, when looking at the statistics vs. countries with NHC, we have 2-3 more deaths per 100,000. Great, loose weight america, and fix the other issues, and we should have the same mortality rate... its already very close.

But instead, we take a very very small percentage and a very small gap between countries with NHC and provide dishonest outcomes to push a political agenda.

Thats sad. The article is BS and inline with Fox (from the other side)

P.S. The doctor and the article said nothing about the Cost of Healthcare per country. Going down that road is just more mis-information and dishonesty to push an agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies