Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 07:05 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post

The rich tripled their wealth at the expense of the middle class.
Could you please explain how they did that?

One usually increases their wealth by smart investing, and by hard work; i.e., moving up in their carreer path to better paying jobs. This takes time, and it takes continued effort to improve your skills, and knowledge.

Many people, if they are innovative, will begin their own businesses, and if successful, will increase their wealth that way.

In no way are these steps done at the "expense" of anyone else.

So, why don't we lose the leftist rhetoric and propaganda, and look at some truth and reality, shall we?

The rest of your post is also garbage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I would suggest that it is they who have, through Corporate Fascism, bled our country dry and destroyed our economy. Calling it "equalization" is a simplistic demonization of the middle class to serve your corporate masters
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirelez View Post
No. The corporations had to entice you to buy those products. The corporations that you have on the flag didn't put a gun to your head to make you buy those things but what they actually did was make things cheaper and easier to get. If there is any fascism it comes from our government which will force you to pay money to them. Corporations have made life easier and better with the products they offer. So what if the guys make more than we do their boards think they are worth it.

I know some of these corporations do corrupt politicians but that's a two way street. It's up to the government to protect us and they have failed and have gone as far as to take our money and give it to the bankers. Hank Paulson helped his buddies out at Goldman and I could go on and on about all the conflicts of interest going on. The federal reserve is a private bank it's not even the people of the U.S. that own it. The problem lies with government more than anyone else. Corporatism is here because the government lets the corporations run the place by installing them in key governmental posts.

The corporation has to get you to buy its wonderful product but the government can just take your money.
I wonder if "Boompa" would willingly give up his computer, cell phone, his big screen TV, trade his car for a bicycle, sell his nice home and move into a shack?

Seems these people love all the nice things that companies like Microsoft and others have given us.

Our standard of living has (until Obama) always been improving.

Obama is going to make us a third world country. Say hello to Venezuea and Mr. Chavez. We're going to have a lot in common if this train wreck isn't halted forthwith.

Seem

Old 11-14-2009, 07:21 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Income inequality in the US is now the most extreme of all countries.

So what? We have the richest, fattest, poor people on the planet. Income disparity may be because we also have people really doing very well, too.

Old 11-14-2009, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Conservatives generally believe that one should be able to earn / make whatever they can qualify to earn / make. That there should be no caps of any type on an individuals income.
And this is because their are no caps of any type on innovation (yet). We are free to innovate.

However, if we remove the ability to profit from our innovation; guess what? No innovation.

No incentive, no new products. Stagnation and a lowering of our standard of living.

Reduction of services and goods (including food — look what they have done to the Califiornia farmers). Shortages, long lines for food, fuel, and virtually everything we need.

That's what happens when you remove the profit from producing.

Old 11-14-2009, 08:50 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,613,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I love how when anyone says something its because they are a damn liberal complaining about your own life not that you have a viewpoint.

Repeatedly in the health care topic I have been called a lazy liberal who doesn't want to wor and wants things handed to me or That I am jealous or envious of people with more money than me. I see it happen to everyone who disagrees with a conservative view. They are like coyotes.

It just shows the total lack of understanding. I run a business, my wife is a doctor, we work hard and want for nothing. But because I believe in single payer healthcare I become a welfare collecting lazy street thug.

First off, my post was not some sort of personal attack, so it shouldn't be treated as such.

Second, I don't necessarily agree w/ the Beck crowd on saying anything government does is wrong, but the way it's going right now it's certainly not giving many people hope that giving them more responsibilty will be the answer.

I do favor health-care reform. I do feel it's time we crack open the books and genuinley find out where exactly the costs are coming from and fix them in an incremental manner. I've even suggested that the government should simply reimburse people's private health care purchases based on one's income. Other things like addressing how much it costs for doctors to go to school, or why we're still using a paper based system for medical records (and the staff needed to run it) when frankly it's been long past time to make health histories electronic. There's alot of ideas to be thrown in the pot which can get us going in the right direction

To me, I feel that nationalization of health care is a bad choice. It's not about not wanting poor people not to get medicine, but facing up to the honest truth that nationalization of the system doesn't work. Even France doesn't have a nationalized system (Part of the issue, when one gets down to it, is the fact that left-thinking people think UHC and "public options" are one and the same. They are not). If someone has a health plan that they like, then they should be able to keep that, which having a public option threatens.

Another thing is the R&D issue. Yeah, if you have the flu or need to get a routine procedure done, then systems like Canada or England are fine and dandy. But when it comes to being on the cutting edge of medicine or needing something expensive or groundbreaking, the US is your best option. The reason for that is becuase someone who's invested in getting a new drug or treatment on the market can do it here for far more profit and less beaurocracy than in Europe. The fear, justified or not, is that the encroachment of government into the medicial field will cuase this advantage to cease to exist in the US.

This is a complex issue. The fact that some posters here equate wanting to hammer out the facts before making a rush to judgement with being a White Supremecist is beyond disgusting and stupid. Have we really become that morally and intellectually bankrupt as a society?

Old 11-14-2009, 09:21 AM

2,196 posts, read 1,994,507 times
Default Middle Class "The True Strength Of America" !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Put an end to the robbing of America by the robber barons, and let the middle class regain it's health.
Greetings,

It truly appears that our "Excessive Government and "Giant Corporations" have truly "Declared War" on middle class America !

America's proud and hardworking middle class folks are the true "Hero's" of this great nation !

It is without doubt "Mind Boggling" and totally "Disgraceful" that our high level "Elected Representatives would ever willingly allow the deliberate
deterioration of the wealth and status of this nations historically outstanding and formidable "Backbone" ...... the "Middle Class" !

Due to the "Arrogance and Greed" of so many of our so called "Career Politicians" and "Corporate Big Whigs" so many of America's vital
manufacturing jobs have been willingly sent overseas without the least bit of regard for the destructive consequences to our outstanding
middle class workforce !

The end result of this " Acute Insanity" is anyones guess !

Thanks / Lamar

Last edited by L.Funk; 11-14-2009 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: Spelling / Thanks / Lamar

Old 11-14-2009, 10:08 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Could you please explain how they did that?

One usually increases their wealth by smart investing, and by hard work; i.e., moving up in their carreer path to better paying jobs. This takes time, and it takes continued effort to improve your skills, and knowledge.

Many people, if they are innovative, will begin their own businesses, and if successful, will increase their wealth that way.

In no way are these steps done at the "expense" of anyone else.

So, why don't we lose the leftist rhetoric and propaganda, and look at some truth and reality, shall we?

The rest of your post is also garbage.
You're thinking on a small scale nonsenseguy.... people down in the lower tiers.

Do you have a link proving the bolded statement?

New Economist: Wealth inequality in the United States

From 2006, this answers your question, "How did they do that?": Paul Krugman on the Great Wealth Transfer (http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/12699486/paul_krugman_on_the_great_wealth_transfer/print - broken link)

Old 11-14-2009, 10:11 AM

272 posts, read 215,893 times
So you offer Krugman as proof.

Our capital Economy is a dog fight. If you cant hack it go on welfare

Old 11-14-2009, 10:16 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagey cretin View Post
So you offer Krugman as proof.

Our capital Economy is a dog fight. If you cant hack it go on welfare
Safe guess that you didnt read the article. Are you afraid to?

Old 11-14-2009, 10:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
And this is because their are no caps of any type on innovation (yet). We are free to innovate.

However, if we remove the ability to profit from our innovation; guess what? No innovation.

No incentive, no new products. Stagnation and a lowering of our standard of living.

Reduction of services and goods (including food — look what they have done to the Califiornia farmers). Shortages, long lines for food, fuel, and virtually everything we need.

That's what happens when you remove the profit from producing.
Who is John Galt ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies