Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:52 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,876 times

Advertisements

Foreign Service Officer and Former Marine Captain says he no Longer Knows Why Nation is Fighting

U.S. Official Resigns over Afghan War - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/27/politics/washingtonpost/main5424093.shtml - broken link)
Quote:
Hoh, 36, became the first U.S. official known to resign in protest over the Afghan war, which he had come to believe simply fueled the insurgency

The reaction to Hoh's letter was immediate. Senior U.S. officials, concerned that they would lose an outstanding officer and perhaps gain a prominent critic, appealed to him to stay.
He would later go on to say, "I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," he wrote Sept. 10 in a four-page letter to the department's head of personnel. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

An eerie replay of Andrew Bacevich's sentiments on this subject.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...n-t-learn.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 08:57 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,279,569 times
I thought the Obama apologists told us the mission is to destroy Al-Qaeda. They must think the official is dense.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:58 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Foreign Service Officer and Former Marine Captain says he no Longer Knows Why Nation is Fighting

U.S. Official Resigns over Afghan War - CBS News (http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/27/politics/washingtonpost/main5424093.shtml - broken link)

He would later go on to say, "I have lost understanding of and confidence in the strategic purposes of the United States' presence in Afghanistan," he wrote Sept. 10 in a four-page letter to the department's head of personnel. "I have doubts and reservations about our current strategy and planned future strategy, but my resignation is based not upon how we are pursuing this war, but why and to what end."

I think the angst 0bama stated he felt over using the term "victory" in regards to the mission and objectives for Afghanistan was the beginning of attitudes like this.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
We'll have Obama supporters coming along any minute now to proclaim this is the fault of Bush, even though the letter talks about the "current" strategy, which aparantly seems to be

"Ignore its taking place, and the american public will forget about it"

Old 10-27-2009, 09:04 AM

I think the biggest worry from the Obama administration is this portion of the quote where they pretty much told us.

Senior U.S. officials, concerned that they would lose an outstanding officer and perhaps gain a prominent critic, appealed to him to stay.

THAT is the biggest fear of this administration which is a bit reminiscent of when the generals in Iraq made an exodus under Bush. It hurts their case and cause in a way that is hard to dismiss. Anyone remember David Hackworth?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,208,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

That has to be one of the most lame statements that I have seen.

1- he has reservations about..."current strategy and planned future strategy". Since future strategy has not yet been revealed, either he is a mind reader or using this to be political.

2- but he is resigning because of the "why and to what end" the war is being fought. Since he didn't resign when W was in office, I guess he is no mind reader after all, just using this for political reasons.

What a phony.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:09 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
I think we all need to "resign" ourselves to the idea of Vietnam II, especially since Obama seems immune from criticism from the leftish voices who dominate opinion in this country. Somehow, I don't see Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert as being particularly eager to deal with Obama's poorly-conceived reprise of LBJ's foreign policy.

No, the Left is more interested in muzzlng Fox News, the sole media critic of the administration. So courageous of them. And so faithful to their oft-repeated allegiance to the First Amendment...

We're in trouble with the current "progressive" hegemony. They may well end up engineering a worse disaster than the neocons.

But they will have meant well, right?

Old 10-27-2009, 09:10 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,326,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
We'll have Obama supporters coming along any minute now to proclaim this is the fault of Bush, even though the letter talks about the "current" strategy, which aparantly seems to be

Bingo. See post #6.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:18 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post

I'm sure 0bama can find a $100/lb steak dinner, fund-raiser, or golf outing to attend, or even late night talk show to preen on. While our soldiers, Marines and sailors wait for him to make a decision.

0bama: “I will never rush the solemn decision of sending you into harm’s way. I won’t risk your lives unless it is absolutely necessary.”

I don't think 0bama trusts in the judgment of his generals. He knows that he cannot trust his own judgment since he knows nothing about war fighting. So he dithers and frets, and is unable to make a decision. This is why prior executive experience is such an important quality for a president, they need to go thru that fire so they learn to trust their own judgment.

In my opinion, 0bama attempting to learn while on the job, is what we are seeing here. Its the same with the economy and unemployment, 0bama is ignoring the war, in hopes it will fix itself and he will be spared the task of making the wrong decision and possibly getting blamed for its failure.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
That has to be one of the most lame statements that I have seen.

1- he has reservations about..."current strategy and planned future strategy". Since future strategy has not yet been revealed, either he is a mind reader or using this to be political.

2- but he is resigning because of the "why and to what end" the war is being fought. Since he didn't resign when W was in office, I guess he is no mind reader after all, just using this for political reasons.

What a phony.
As he went on further to say, "I realize what I'm getting into . . . what people are going to say about me," he said. "I never thought I would be doing this."

Quote:
"I recognize the career implications, but it wasn't the right thing to do," he said in an interview Friday, two days after his resignation became final.
"I'm not some peacenik, pot-smoking hippie who wants everyone to be in love," Hoh said. Although he said his time in Zabul was the "second-best job I've ever had," his dominant experience is from the Marines, where many of his closest friends still serve
When we ask our soldiers to pull 2-3 tours of 12-15 months or more, they not only come to have a good feel for their environment, but what effects they themselves have on the situation. I certainly don't know what is in this mans mind, but I don't think he is throwing away his military career just to put a stick in the eye of the current administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies