Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 10:56 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
Hence why they voted for him on color alone. What is so hard to understand that? Any of you still feel like spinning this in their favored direction or are you going to accept the facts?
So again; you are saying that black people are unable to vote rationally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,298,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
what the heck? I said fringe because 90% of african americans voted for obama... only 10% voted for someone else. If someone is in a small minority (which 10% is) , they are considered "FRINGE" by the news channels.. So I only said he is fringe because he is in that 10% who didn't support obama in the election.......
You said Thomas Sowell is not credible, friend! He is one of the most intelligent and credible human beings I've ever had the pleasure of reading or listening to. The blacks who are conservative but voted for Obama any way because Obama is black are the ones who are not credible.

- Reel

Old 10-29-2009, 10:58 AM
obo

916 posts, read 985,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
So again; you are saying that black people are unable to vote rationally.
You are saying that. I simply said that there was a very large portion of AA voters that turned out that never did before because of the situation. Comprende? It's true, now just accept it and move on. I'm not saying it's bad, I'm saying it's fact.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM

Quote:
How's your reading comprehension. I didn't say that all 90% voted for that reason, I said a large chunk of that 90% did.
really?

Quote:
90% of blacks voted for Obama BECAUSE HE IS BLACK!
Must be a different Obo then, right?

Let me see if maybe I misunderstood. Let's see youy said 90% of blacks voted for Obama BECAUSE HE IS BLACK...I don't see the words "a large chunk" or "some" I see 90%...so no I don't think I misunderstood...I think you said some bs and now that we're calling you out on it you're backtracking.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM

654 posts, read 465,918 times
Sowell is like Krugman's evil nemesis. They both love writing OP-ED pieces which clearly touts an agenda and both are very intelligent men. They come from the opposite side of the spectrum. Sometimes they are very accurate and insightful and other times they just spew drivel.

I lost interest in the article when Sowell brought up "death panels".

Old 10-29-2009, 11:03 AM
obo

Quote:
really?

Must be a different Obo then, right?

Let me see if maybe I misunderstood. Let's see youy said 90% of blacks voted for Obama BECAUSE HE IS BLACK...I don't see the words "a large chunk" or "some" I see 90%...so no I don't think I misunderstood...I think you said some bs and now that we're calling you out on it you're backtracking.
ok, I see your point, but what I meant was 90% of the 90%. I'm sure it's a bit of a stretch, but it was the point I was trying to make. My bad for not being clearer. My opinion would be atleast half of those 90% voted that way because of the situation.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
ok, I see your point, but what I meant was 90% of the 90%. I'm sure it's a bit of a stretch, but it was the point I was trying to make. My bad for not being clearer. My opinion would be atleast half of those 90% voted that way because of the situation.
90% of 90% is 100%

Either way all of those numbers are your opinion based on your personal experiences. If I would make a guess based on my personal experiences I would say the numbers were closer to 20% voted for him based on race alone. I will say that I think his race caused a larger percentage of black people to become more involved in politics (even if it’s just watching the news on a more regular basis)

At the same time in every election you have a percentage of people who vote based on party alone without taking any of the platforms into consideration. People KNOW this happens so I don't know why the world is pretending that every election up until now was fair and balanced and all the people voting were using their cognitive thinking skills when they selected a candidate. There will always be uninformed voters who select a candidate for one reason or another that has nothing to do with the issues.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:35 AM

877 posts, read 2,767,593 times
Quote:
I am not sure how you come to your conclusion since Blacks overwhelmingly vote Democrat. In 2000, 90% of Black voters voted for Gore, in 2004 88% voted for Kerry. Obama may have had a small percentage of Black voters that voted for him because he was Black but the basic voting patterns of the Black population do not support that the primary cause of his support was because he was Black. Obama being Black was exciting and historic but it was not the primary reason for voting for him but saying that it is appears to be the consensus amongst some. It would make more sense too me, if people said that Blacks voted for Obama because he was a Democrat.

If Obama was a Republican and still garnered the amount of votes from the Black population that he received then I could see this argument.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:37 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,274,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
what the heck? I said fringe because 90% of african americans voted for obama... only 10% voted for someone else. If someone is in a small minority (which 10% is) , they are considered "FRINGE" by the news channels.. So I only said he is fringe because he is in that 10% who didn't support obama in the election.......
If 90% of people in America were convinced that up is down, would 10% of people be considered fringe for questioning this statement?

Old 10-29-2009, 11:42 AM
obo

Quote:
90% of 90% is 100%

Either way all of those numbers are your opinion based on your personal experiences. If I would make a guess based on my personal experiences I would say the numbers were closer to 20% voted for him based on race alone. I will say that I think his race caused a larger percentage of black people to become more involved in politics (even if it’s just watching the news on a more regular basis)

At the same time in every election you have a percentage of people who vote based on party alone without taking any of the platforms into consideration. People KNOW this happens so I don't know why the world is pretending that every election up until now was fair and balanced and all the people voting were using their cognitive thinking skills when they selected a candidate. There will always be uninformed voters who select a candidate for one reason or another that has nothing to do with the issues.
I see you didn't get very good grades in math. 90% of the 90% is not 100% LOL it's 90%. To rephrase it, 90% of the 100% that VOTED FOR OBAMA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies