Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 12:15 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times

Advertisements

Many people seem to think that some name other than Hallowe'en should be used. Many of those who feel that way feel that way because they say that it is a carry over of religious celebrations.

Anyway, according to Rasmussen polls a heavy majority just don't want to see the name change.

66% See No Need to Change “Halloween” - Rasmussen Reports™
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,563,744 times
I have never ever heard of this, ever. Who wants to change the name, people who feel halloween is EVIL?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:26 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,902,877 times
I've never herd anyone wanted to change the name of Halloween either - how odd. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with calling it Halloween?

Old 10-27-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
I've never herd anyone wanted to change the name of Halloween either - how odd. Out of curiosity, what's the problem with calling it Halloween?
According to the article, this is the reason:
Quote:
Many schools are replacing the word "Halloween" with “Fall Festival” because of negative connotations some see in the long-standing holiday name.
That doesn't explain it at all actually.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I have never ever heard of this, ever. Who wants to change the name, people who feel halloween is EVIL?
Did you read the link? If so didn't you see that many do want that. Many of them attach the name to old time Catholic celebrations from Europe and that means Christian just like Christmas.

You did see that many elementary schools are changing to Fall something or other? This has been going on annually for years. I used to see them arguing about this very thing on the Charlotte forum and always the ones wanting change were of the left lean or anti-religion. I didn't think many older people didn't know about this. I guess I was wrong.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
See my reply to karfar above. I guess you just haven't heard many atheists talking about Hallowe'en.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Did you read the link? If so didn't you see that many do want that. Many of them attach the name to old time Catholic celebrations from Europe and that means Christian just like Christmas.

You did see that many elementary schools are changing to Fall something or other? This has been going on annually for years. I used to see them arguing about this very thing on the Charlotte forum and always the ones wanting change were of the left lean or anti-religion. I didn't think many older people didn't know about this. I guess I was wrong.
Yes roy, I read your attached article, get over this obsession you have w/people reading your incessant links. What proof do you have that it's liberals that want the name changed because you do realize that that would not make any sense, right? We all know that people who have a problem w/halloween are those creepy religious extremists who feel halloween is the devil's holiday.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,660,723 times
Quote:

I read the link, but it did not provide any back up information. I googled too and didn't really find anything.

I haven't heard of any schools doing this either.

Quote:
See my reply to karfar above. I guess you just haven't heard many atheists talking about Hallowe'en.
I'm an atheist roy, why don't you put your money where your mouth is & start talking w/me? Why don't you ask me how I feel about halloween & it's name? Better yet, why don't you go talk to some of those religious zealots & ask them how they feel about halloween.

24,868 posts, read 24,382,997 times
Its a Christian thing.

All Hallows eve was a pagan tradition, and some folks just don't like that. My grandmother used to love dressing me up and letting me trick-or-treat, which in itself is a pagan tradition.

Now that I've been gone for a while, she follows the church stance that children shouldn't be following pagan traditions like these.

I don't see anything wrong with dressing up as a ghost, a goblin, or Optimus Prime, or any other thing kids do, and going around and begging for candy. Its cute, and I don't know anyone who has been screwed up from Halloween, well except maybe Tim Burton.

Seriously, if they want to take pagan traditions out of holidays, then they need to start with Christmas. No more Yule logs, no more Christmas Trees, no more missle toe, and many other traditions that are based on the pagan celebrations for the winters solstice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies