Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2009, 06:23 PM

277 posts, read 368,666 times

Advertisements

If the bystanders did not call the police, but viewed the acts like it was a freak show, they should all go to jail for being part of the show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:33 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Now this is interesting, why aren't you riding bigsky's a*s for being one of those lenient liberals? Because he's not a liberal, that's why. Convenient.
What do you want me to say madear. I disagreed with what I thought was his false premise. If you ride in that stolen car you are guilty as is the driver. Unfortunately, I have heard tell at least, If I pick up a hitchhiker and he has cocaine on him and I get stopped I am culpable and may be charged. In both cases I don't think it is the same thing exactly as we're talking about hurting someone rather than property.
To that degree raping the child was not acceptable under any condition nor was the behavior of the spectators. Any way you look at it Karfar, and I know you would agree, the rapists and the watchers are pretty low life. If any one of them was scared they could have at least went and gotten help. It would be a rightful assumption that at a minimum they were ambivalent, so are zombies, and some other categories.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM

395 posts, read 510,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
One more thing...

Before those who are already trying to label me as some nutcase who's defending the bystanders get too far out of whack, I should make something perfectly clear.

I AM NOT defending the rapists; nor am I defending the bystanders' inaction. Obviously, the rapists deserve the full weight of the law being dropped on them (or worse). I don't know if the bystanders can be charged with any type of crime, such as accessory, but if they can, it should be done, and the maximum penalties imposed.

If I were one of those bystanders, I would have intervened. I hope I didn't give anybody the impression that I would have done nothing, simply because I'm against using the force of law to require people to get involved when a crime is being committed. I believe people should help others. I just don't believe that the government has the authority to require it.

Hopefully that cleared some things up.
I'm not sure what I would do. I definitely wouldn't stand there and watch it. When there is a herd mentality it could have been dangerous. If somebody tried to save the day..they could have been gang asskicked or killed.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:52 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnamecanido View Post
I'm not sure what I would do. I definitely wouldn't stand there and watch it. When there is a herd mentality it could have been dangerous. If somebody tried to save the day..they could have been gang asskicked or killed.
I'll tell you what I would have done. Now, I'm a female so you can bet your butt I would not have gone into a mob of men, I'm not that stupid. I would however get the police on the phone pronto, alert security & school officials immediately & while doing all that I would find a big big big group of guys to come out & help that girl & give those bystanders & the guys doing it something they'd never forget. Then, I'd tell my parents, tell the other parents & alert the news media.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:57 PM

2,637 posts, read 4,464,661 times
In Texas, a person can be brought up on charges, if they "do not come to the aid of a third party, that is under attack". they can also use all necessary force, Including deadly, to stop said assault.

Old 11-02-2009, 06:59 PM

Isn't there a law that if a person drives by an accident & doesn't stop or alert the authorities that they can get charged for that? I know this situation is a little different, but not really.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,905,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
What do you want me to say madear. I disagreed with what I thought was his false premise. If you ride in that stolen car you are guilty as is the driver.
You are only "guilty" if you "don't" do something to thwart the effort of the driver ...

You can get out ... wave down passing motorists ... or find other ways to draw attention to the illegal activity that's going on ...

Or .. you can do nothing, and be just as guilty as the one driving the stolen car is, simply by going along for the ride.

The boys that stood around and "watched" .. and did exactly "nothing" .. are just as guilty of rape as the ones that were doing the actual raping.

Just exactly how hard can that be for folks to understand?

Last edited by bigskydude; 11-02-2009 at 07:16 PM..

Old 11-02-2009, 07:06 PM

3,424 posts, read 5,976,319 times
Quote:
Isn't there a law that if a person drives by an accident & doesn't stop or alert the authorities that they can get charged for that? I know this situation is a little different, but not really.

I believe its that: if you witness an accident and dont stick around to give an account of what happened you can be issued a citation for that. And there may also be some clause about "failure to stop and render aid" or something or other...I believe that is what you are referring to.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:12 PM

1,133 posts, read 712,835 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what I would have done. Now, I'm a female so you can bet your butt I would not have gone into a mob of men, I'm not that stupid. I would however get the police on the phone pronto, alert security & school officials immediately & while doing all that I would find a big big big group of guys to come out & help that girl & give those bystanders & the guys doing it something they'd never forget. Then, I'd tell my parents, tell the other parents & alert the news media.
I always knew that deep down you have the spirit of a conservative in you. You make me proud of my ability to assess a person even through their writing. Another five or six years you will no longer refer to yourself as a liberal or even necessarily a libertarian, simply and proudly a conservative. Karfar I voted for Jimmy Carter whom I despise now like the plague. In the words of Churchill or paraphraing anyways, "If your under 40 and your not a liberal you don't have a heart, if your over 40 and your not a conservative you don't have a brain."
I will make a bet that if someone did a poll here of conservatives and liberals you would find a very strong correlation with that statement.
Of course there are the moderates, sorta lost in the desert types, I'd say mostly between 38 and 42.
I don't hate liberals, I just feel kinda sorry for them. Such a misplaced waste of time, direction, and resources.

Old 11-02-2009, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atilla View Post
I always knew that deep down you have the spirit of a conservative in you. You make me proud of my ability to assess a person even through their writing. Another five or six years you will no longer refer to yourself as a liberal or even necessarily a libertarian, simply and proudly a conservative. Karfar I voted for Jimmy Carter whom I despise now like the plague. In the words of Churchill or paraphraing anyways, "If your under 40 and your not a liberal you don't have a heart, if your over 40 and your not a conservative you don't have a brain."
I will make a bet that if someone did a poll here of conservatives and liberals you would find a very strong correlation with that statement.
Of course there are the moderates, sorta lost in the desert types, I'd say mostly between 38 and 42.
I don't hate liberals, I just feel kinda sorry for them. Such a misplaced waste of time, direction, and resources.
I actually feel sorry for you because people's reaction to this crime is not based on their political affiliation. I believe you are the only one trying to make it so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies