Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 08:55 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,763,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Religious conservatives know that Halloween has nothing to do with satan or demons, therefore I don't think it bothers most of them.

I am a religious conservative and I have a Halloween display set up in a room in the house...
Isn't Michael Jackson in that picture somewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 11:36 PM

29 posts, read 111,878 times
Hi all! I have to agree with Kev K., Who?Me? & HappyTexan! I was walking through "WallyWorld" on Monday morning & GUESS WHAT I SAW? Christmas trees already decorated! Bulbs, etc. being put on the shelves & not in the stock room, but in the store! I was LIVID! I turned around, it was all over the store. I said to myself, my cat food can wait a few days, until I can get better composure. I just can't think about Christmas yet! It makes me want to cry to think about it this early! Also, I'm a bit agonstic! I want to know the longitude & latitude of Heaven?? Yet, I don't want to be judged & filled with guilt when I ask, "Where is Heaven?" I, honestly would like to know definitively, WHERE IS HEAVEN? When I ask preachers, they say, "Up there"!! I say, Up Where? Up by Mars? Why is it when I ask where Heaven is; I am shunned, told to read the Bible, told ooohhh, you know where it is? Well, no I don't! I don't want to be told that it is up there. Where up there? Hasn't the Bible been rewritten often & in many languages? Did they have paper back then in order to write the Bible? I, by the way, know the answer to that one. And; oh by the way, virgins can have a baby! If a guy & girl want to do "The Deed" & suddenly she doesn't want to & if he went off too fast, she can get pregnant! Those little sperms can swim on up to form a zygote!

Now, Halloween is FUN! I actually dressed up when I was 35 y/o & went Trick or Treating w/my nieces/nephews! I managed to get more candy than they did. I think it was because I was more polite. Two nephews & 1 niece were larger than I. I LOVED IT! And, as far as the nieces/nephews, they really get a "sugar high" that night because their Mom believed it was better to give them their entire bags that night & let them gorge themselves! Why drag the candy out little by little was NOT her philosophy. Just wanted to share happy memories with you. Also, a few unanswered questions I would love to know!

Old 10-27-2009, 11:58 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I like Halloween too! A couple pumpkins on the porch, a bag of candy, and you are set! I get fancy with hot spiced cider and carmel apples for the family. And dressing up as whatever you want...can't beat that. All the fun and none of the stress of many holidays.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:07 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,065,142 times
Why is it that the " religious fundie nutcases" get flamed for opposing Halloween but nobody on the left stands up and denounces the ACLU for trying to stop all public displays and recognition of Christian Holidays, I.E. Christmas?
I say if it harms no one, then shut the #$%^ up and let the majority celebrate as they wish. And if it offends you, then shut the #$%^ up, stay home or don't participate. Just because you're a disgruntled idiot doesn't mean people have to hear you complain.
If a community wants to put up a Christmas tree in a public square, have a Halloween parade, or have a manger scene in a park or have a 100 year old statue with the Ten Commandments in the front of a Court House,or a Mennorah right next to it, it harms no one. Just give equal opportunity. Have the same areas open to other religions for their displays if they wish. Living in a community and a society means making compromises and tolerating views you may not agree with.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah. Three consecutive months with awesome Holidays to enjoy. It's just sad that a few would try to use them against other people.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:23 AM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Isn't Michael Jackson in that picture somewhere?
No, I have better taste than that!
Those two shrouded ghouls and the floating one to the left are all hand-made (not by me; by another Halloween fan who gave me those props).

Old 10-28-2009, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Nice! I wish I had a house that I could totally decorate during halloween, that'd be sweet. I'm talking the outside, I have halloween decorations up in my apartment right now & might I add, orange lights do wonders for making people look better!
Glad you like it.

I keep most of it up year-'round because the room is mainly for storage and has bookshelves behind the Halloween display. This year I partially disassembled it because I had to store more items in the room.

I do have orange lights I put outside but haven't yet this year. Haven't had time for it and I have to find where I put them!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
So let's keep the Devil Worship in Halloween!

Down with the War on Halloween!
Don't know if you're joking, but it isn't about that.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:27 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,150,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Don't know if you're joking, but it isn't about that.
Yes, I'm joking...just trying to lighten the atmosphere in this forum....but most seem bent on the "fun" of gang rapes and starting yet more RACIST (blacks are different! Blacks are this Blacks are that!!) threads that are so prevelant in here......

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Why is it that the " religious fundie nutcases" get flamed for opposing Halloween but nobody on the left stands up and denounces the ACLU for trying to stop all public displays and recognition of Christian Holidays, I.E. Christmas?
I say if it harms no one, then shut the #$%^ up and let the majority celebrate as they wish. And if it offends you, then shut the #$%^ up, stay home or don't participate. Just because you're a disgruntled idiot doesn't mean people have to hear you complain.
If a community wants to put up a Christmas tree in a public square, have a Halloween parade, or have a manger scene in a park or have a 100 year old statue with the Ten Commandments in the front of a Court House,or a Mennorah right next to it, it harms no one. Just give equal opportunity. Have the same areas open to other religions for their displays if they wish. Living in a community and a society means making compromises and tolerating views you may not agree with.
Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Hannukah. Three consecutive months with awesome Holidays to enjoy. It's just sad that a few would try to use them against other people.
I believe when some parents at my kids' school wanted to eliminate the Halloween parties, costume parade, etc, they enlisted help from the ACLU. This was about 22 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies