Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
What if you're the only one working? Either it's a business you run yourself...or you happen to be the only employee of the franchise owner--who may not even live in town.
You certainly don't have the right to expose your customers to disease. Believe me, they will never return. My DH got food poisoning at an IHOP in Champaign, IL more than 30 years ago, and he will never "darken the door" of one again.

I have worked for the health dept when restaurant workers have had Hepatitis A. You have to get a shot in your butt to hopefully protect you. It's a huge outlay of public money to try to contol the disease at that point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 08:12 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,368,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I have yet in my 18 years in the factory met a slacker that did not abuse the sick day system. Nor have I met a top performer that routinely maxed it out. Everyone has years where the kids bring it all home. But as a norm?
The least producing are the ones taking the most time off. Coincidently they also complain about not getting promoted as well.
One of my former coworkers had sickle cell. She maxed out all of her sick time and then some but she was one of the best people on our team.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:04 AM

5,522 posts, read 10,194,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
One of my former coworkers had sickle cell. She maxed out all of her sick time and then some but she was one of the best people on our team.

There you go. People who have chronic illness end up needing a whole lot of sick time, but that doesnt mean they are slackers by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You certainly don't have the right to expose your customers to disease. Believe me, they will never return. My DH got food poisoning at an IHOP in Champaign, IL more than 30 years ago, and he will never "darken the door" of one again.

I have worked for the health dept when restaurant workers have had Hepatitis A. You have to get a shot in your butt to hopefully protect you. It's a huge outlay of public money to try to contol the disease at that point.
They might not--but you don't earn any money with the doors closed, and it it's a franchise owner, he doesn't earn any money either.

I've worked where I was the sole employee before.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 901 times
I'm a Marine Corps Iraq Vet who just had his testicle taken out on Thursday for possible cancer. I'm being told that I'm going to need about 4 weeks off and my job offers me no sick or personal days. I rent an apartment and have been working a job paycheck to paycheck since the recession started. Although I am a class away from my undergraduate degree nobody is currently hiring anyone with only academic experience. Since I rent a place, I'm probably going to loose it and be another scraggly looking war vet on the streets. Though a much younger looking one. So to answer the question, you should get sick time to keep hardworking people off of the streets.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:48 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,471,476 times
Because I work for a company that do not ant to give us sick days, I rather go to work sick as a dog than calling on sick. I cannot afford it, plain and simple.!

Old 11-07-2010, 12:55 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
Man, I just found out that my company pays sick time--even if I don't use it.

Any amount of sick time over 48 hours amassed in a single year is paid out to us around our anniversary date. Next week, I'll be paid for ten hours even though I didn't work for it.

Old 11-07-2010, 01:59 AM

548 posts, read 2,097,040 times
Why Should YOU Get PAID For Being SICK?

The question, as posed, starts out foolish - as in exhibiting a lack of good sense or judgement; silly; void of understanding; resulting from stupidity or misunderstanding; simple; ridiculous; shallow-brained; absurd.

No employee gets "paid for being sick." Employees get paid DESPITE BEING SICK. Employees get paid for performing their job function, for their time, labor, skills, abilities, education & training, expertise, experience, for the uncounted extra hours they often put in, and the value they add.

They don't "get paid for being sick".....except in the bizarro convoluted right wing fantasy world. In the enlightened world they contract in benefits such as sick leave as part of their overall salary package, usually in exchange for overall base salary concessions. Where do extreme right wingers get all these nutty convoluted concepts like "paid for being sick." LOL

Old 11-07-2010, 01:04 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,131,824 times
Where the hell do you get the nutty convoluted idea that KevK is some kind of right winger?

Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 AM

1,770 posts, read 2,896,342 times
Personally I do support the concept of "PTO". I would hate when I worked somewhere, given "x" vacation, "x" personal days, and say.. 4 sick days. Now, I usually am at work as much as I can.. but if I'm sick I'm sick. If I'm out MORE than "4" times in a year, it's a "bad thing"? That's where I don't understand how companies can get away with reprimanding people who are legitimately sick.

I was with a company that anything more then once per quarter was considered "excessive". I ended up getting severe bronchitis (ontop of the fact that I have asthma..). The doc cleared me for 7 days. I wasn't in trouble when I went back, but I was told I exceeded my sick time for the year and the next time I could face disciplinary action.. LOL?

So glad I found a job a month later. F them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies