Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 01:08 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

So three people have now said the same thing in different words. Get management involved in this, and the abuse will stop. My kids' high school required a written excuse from a doctor or a court order showing the kid had to be in court for more than a certain number of absences, excused or unexcused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Sounds to me that those 20 somethings are abusing their sick time and your employer should be addressing this situation. You really should not throw the baby out with the bathwater by advocating for elimination of sick pay just because there are those that abuse the system. The last thing you would want is for sick employees to be forced to come in to work sick and spreading their germs to you and everyone else (who then go home and spread it to families). Productivity would REALLY slow down if the entire office is sick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think the above problem should be addressed in that case. Where I work, spontaneous time off is also a problem due to scheduling. I don't think the solution is to rescind sick time, or require a doctor's excuse for every absence. You don't want people clogging up dr's offices with bad colds and such so they can get an excuse.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then this is a management problem.
Why develop a punitive position against all when it is the vast minority who abuses sick time?
The appropriate response would be to address the issue with the abusers.

BTW, how do you know what others are doing? How do you know that they're not ill? Just because you see something through your filters does not mean that's what is really happening.

Sounds to me like you're either jealous or mad because they're getting something that you're not.

You also have choices in your behavior and the way you view others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 01:20 PM

27,212 posts, read 46,720,608 times
From experience in Europe where being sick is paid for I can tell you...people are always sick on Monday and/or Friday....

Old 10-28-2009, 01:26 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
We have 21 days off a year, uncategorized and unallotted. For hourly employees, they are "PTO" hours. For salaried, they are somehow factored in to the productivity requirement.

You can take those days for anything you want. No need to justify sickness or otherwise.

Great way to stop abuse of sick days. More sick days taken = less left over for vacation!

Old 10-28-2009, 01:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 15,199,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
You might want to re-read the topic heading: politics AND OTHER CONTROVERSIES

I hope that helped you.
I am just saying I think this is more pertinant to the work/employment forum, as anything in this one makes people get into right/left wing arguements. I am just trying to prevent a potential digress into partisan insults. That's all.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:58 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,244,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I am just saying I think this is more pertinant to the work/employment forum, as anything in this one makes people get into right/left wing arguements. I am just trying to prevent a potential digress into partisan insults. That's all.
Then, express your feelings to a Moderator. Let them make the decision

That is what they are there for

Old 10-28-2009, 02:03 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
I suppose the OP thinks they should take vacation days away too....I mean it's not like they are there working.

The American worker is too lazy....They should work harder and longer....LOL

[Unbelievable what right wingers will fall for]
Wow, is kevk a rightwinger now, when did that happen? Listen up! Companies should absolutely NOT be mandated by the government, federal, state local, to serve as a social service provider, we need to get business and corporations out of the health benefits busines and let them run how they see fit. If all things are equal and one wants to offer sick pay and the other doesnt so be it. I would be willing to bet if a company said we do not offer any benefits what so ever, no paid leave, nothing, zip, nada. BUT, we will pay more per hour than any of our competition, they would do just fine!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:18 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
I've already gotten into a debate about this. I don't believe people SHOULD be paid for not working. Vacation pay, sick pay, whatever. You don't show up for work, the pay you would have gotten should be divided amongst your co-workers--since they have to do your part of the job too.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM

Many years ago, close to 40 now, a friend was working for a defense contractor in the DC area. She was working for a private company, not the govt. She wanted to take some time off but didn't have any days available. She asked why she couldn't take time off w/o pay. Her boss said, "If we didn't need you here, you wouldn't have a job here". I think that sums it up well. When you are hired, you agree to abide by the employment rules of the employer. Smart employers know that people need time off occasionally, be it for illness, funerals, vacation, whatever. That is part of your compensation package.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,637,581 times
And part of your contribution is that you actually come to work every once in a while. We have someone who abuses the system. Days are earned over a period of time (actually, I think it's in hours). Every time this one employee has earned 8 hours, that employee calls in "sick". We can tell, because it's at pretty regular intervals.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
And part of your contribution is that you actually come to work every once in a while. We have someone who abuses the system. Days are earned over a period of time (actually, I think it's in hours). Every time this one employee has earned 8 hours, that employee calls in "sick". We can tell, because it's at pretty regular intervals.
Again, that is a management issue. Plus, the employee is going to be up S*** Creek if she actually gets sick and needs more than a day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies