Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 03:48 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,983,180 times

Advertisements

In less than 9 months since President Obama took office, the worst recession since the Great Depression is over !!!

UPDATE 1-US recession over, unemployment seen at 10 pct-poll | Reuters

Quote:
WASHINGTON, Oct 12 (Reuters) - The worst U.S. recession since the Great Depression has ended, but weak household spending as the labor market struggles to create jobs will slow the pace of the economy's recovery, according to a survey released on Monday.
The survey of 44 professional forecasters released by the National Association for Business Economics, also known as the NABE, found that 80 percent of the respondents believed the economy was growing again after four straight quarters of declines.
"The great recession is over," NABE President-Elect Lynn Reaser said.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 03:52 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
So when we slip back into a recession will the left officially recognize it as Obama's recession?

Old 10-12-2009, 03:53 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
I bet if you asked many americans January 20th if they "believed" the recession would be over soon and drag out 10+ months, the answer is no...

Since its not "beliefs" which control if we are in a recession or not, its actual spending, the whole story is bs..

Old 10-12-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
So when we slip back into a recession will the left officially recognize it as Obama's recession?
According to the article, a double-dip is not likely to happen:

Quote:
"We don't necessarily expect the U.S. economy to fall into a double-dip recession. This time round, consumers will be reluctant to join the party," said Paul Ashworth, senior U.S. economist at Capital Economics in Toronto.

Old 10-12-2009, 03:59 PM

858 posts, read 1,501,181 times
Hmmm... I still hear of hundreds of people losing their jobs. Stores closing down. People not being able to pay bills.. Sounds like BS to me. Trust I want this damn recession to be over already, but it's not.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I bet if you asked many americans January 20th if they "believed" the recession would be over soon and drag out 10+ months, the answer is no...

Since its not "beliefs" which control if we are in a recession or not, its actual spending, the whole story is bs..
And of course, YOUR EXPERT OPINION of whether the recession is over is more credible than that given by the National Association for Business Economics?

Old 10-12-2009, 04:02 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,308,715 times
If it's already over then it was not the worst recession since the depression.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xplorer View Post
Hmmm... I still hear of hundreds of people losing their jobs. Stores closing down. People not being able to pay bills.. Sounds like BS to me. Trust I want this damn recession to be over already, but it's not.
The article answers your question:

Quote:
The survey predicted that the unemployment rate will rise to 10 percent in the first quarter of 2010 and edge down to 9.5 percent by the end of that year. The labor market was not expected to regain most of the jobs destroyed in the recession until 2012 or beyond.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:05 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,447,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
According to the article, a double-dip is not likely to happen:
A "senior US economist" in Canada? ROFLMAO!

Why not cite a midget arm-wrestler from Uzbekistan? They would have about as much credibility, and probably more accurate.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,093,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RD5050 View Post
And of course, YOUR EXPERT OPINION of whether the recession is over is more credible than that given by the National Association for Business Economics?
My creditibility is backed up by the definition of "recession"

Definition of Recession

Two consecutive quarters of decline in real GDP is commonly taken to be a recession.

And further backed up by the Bureau of Economica Analysis
News Release: Gross Domestic Product

Not ONE quarter we have had an increase, let alone two.

Individuals beliefs, be it the National Asssociation for Business Economics, or mine, means NOTHING, when the BEA continues to prove that the GDP decreases continue.. Again, its not about ANYONES "beliefs" its about ACTUAL spending.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies