Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 02:26 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times

Advertisements

Taxes are very high here (Long Island) and have caused some people to move, however you get what you pay for in many ways. As Newtoli pointed out the proximity of NYC. Also 65-70% of the property taxes on Long Island are for the schools, which are among the best in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 02:45 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
I did, I left California because of taxes, fees, regulation, and a slew of other political processes that increased the cost of living to unreasonable levels.

As for the last question, they rank extremely high (top of the list). High taxes are a sign of irresponsible government and if taxes are raised high, you can count of the fact that numerous other issues will simulate the hike. In California where I lived, higher taxes came in the forms of state, property, licensing increases for vehicle, building, business, etc... It came in the form of usage penalties for electricity use and environmental fees and regulations. It came in the form of state assisted program taxes, special taxes on products (paper bags combined with the removal of plastic) and the list goes on and on.

So many people think "taxes" are simply one bill, one assessment, but if you truly wish to see the level of money you pay in "taxes" or rather government payout, then you need to add up all of the factors. When you do, reaching 40-50% or more tax becomes a reality for many.
I'm making the move to get out of California, also. High taxes and irresponsible political practices are the biggest reasons. So is over-regulation. I'll be very happy in Texas, I'm thinkin'.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:52 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
And yet... YOU are the one who brought schools into the discussion, AND associated lousy schools with low/no taxes.

Now, you're whining because your faulty logic has come back to bite you in the butt.

What I posted is suitable to anyone's purpose. Why isn't it in everyone's best interest to actually confirm the fact that high levels of spending equate to high levels of services? Everyone knows you can't make the assumption that one necessarily assures the other. Well... except maybe you.

That 'claim' exists only in your wounded ego, and the only BS here is yours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I'm making the move to get out of California, also. High taxes and irresponsible political practices are the biggest reasons. So is over-regulation. I'll be very happy in Texas, I'm thinkin'.
*chuckle* Funny you mention that, we moved to Texas after an exhausting cost of living ratio evaluation combined with job availability.

There were a few other states that fit the work up, but Northern Texas seemed to have all the cards. Careful when you move though, Texas isn't a standard across counties and each county/city will vary in its application of various taxes/fees. Some areas are extremely conservative with low taxes and limited regulations, but there are pockets that are to be honest almost as bad as San Francisco in their polices. There has been a strong push by some to normalize such issues to the state level and begin state taxes to supply support.

You aren't out of the woods, but if you get vocal and involved in your local politics, you might be able to keep some sanity in your area. Stupid hasn't moved in as a majority yet, but there are a LARGE amount of politics moving in to Texas trying to gain control which are pushing for the exact same policies we saw in California. Personally, I believe this to be an issue of power rather than political general position as I can see no reason why a sane person could look at the results of like polices in other states and say they will do better elsewhere. There has to be some other reason why they push for this, I can only think money and power.

Edit:

Oh and one thing you will love is the extreme competition in utilities here. Regulation exists, but nowhere near the level it did in California where there were only 3 main companies and they were all indirectly working with the government to line pockets.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:55 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,464,947 times
Quote:
And yet... YOU are the one who brought schools into the discussion, AND associated lousy schools with low/no taxes. Now, you're whining because your faulty logic has come back to bite you in the butt.
You're no judge of logic. The word "schools" appeared in a series of ten examples of sub-par state and local services, the latter often serving as a marker also for low state and local taxes for those in search of such things. If you wanted to dispute that point, you could have. Launching off into unrelated babble about the DC public school system did not in any way comprise such a thing.

Quote:
What I posted is suitable to anyone's purpose.
No, just yours.

Quote:
Why isn't it in everyone's best interest to actually confirm the fact that high levels of spending equate to high levels of services? Everyone knows you can't make the assumption that one necessarily assures the other. Well... except maybe you.
Why are you so eager to contradict a point that has not been raised? Can't you follow the thread? Are you embarked on some mission?

Quote:
That 'claim' exists only in your wounded ego, and the only BS here is yours.
LOL.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:59 PM

989 posts, read 2,497,762 times
Yes...TOO HIGH EVERYWHERE IN THE USA!

Old 10-28-2009, 03:03 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,946,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Yes...TOO HIGH EVERYWHERE IN THE USA!
Didn't you know it is patriotic to pay taxes? I heard someone say that before, but he isn't important enough to remember his name.

So, next time you write out that check to the dear government and pay those fees and regulatory assessments. Just take to heart that you are filling some suit in washintons paycheck with money while they laugh at how stupid and easily manipulated you are. "Its good to be the king! Oh p-i-s-s boy!!" (reference to History of the World Part 1 Mel. Brooks)

Old 10-28-2009, 03:31 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Are Your Taxes Too High Where You Live?
Extremely. I live in NJ and we're #1 in tax burden.

Quote:
Would you ever leave your town/city because of taxes?
That's the plan.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:35 PM

20,323 posts, read 19,909,198 times
Quote:
Look for some place that has lousy schools
NJ has it's fair share in spite of some of the highest money spent per student

Quote:
crumbling roads,
NJ

Quote:
run-down parks
NJ has threatened to cut maintenance and visiting hours to state parks due to money concerns.

Quote:
and where you are going to be relying on well water and a septic system.
Very common in NJ.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:54 PM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You're no judge of logic. The word "schools" appeared in a series of ten examples of sub-par state and local services, the latter often serving as a marker also for low state and local taxes for those in search of such things. If you wanted to dispute that point, you could have. Launching off into unrelated babble about the DC public school system did not in any way comprise such a thing.
I gave just one example - the DC public schools spending over $13,000 per student per year but STILL being worse than lousy - that provided a direct contradiction to your low spending/lousy schools association, though, there are plenty more. You're just unhappy with the fact that taxpayers are aware that they don't necessarily get what they're paying dearly for, and need to confirm that high spending actually equals high-level services. EVERYONE knows that can't be taken for granted. Why you don't is anyone's guess. You must just be grossly underinformed.

Quote:
No, just yours.
Do you really expect everyone to believe that no one except me will care that taxes are high, a lot of taxpayer dollars are spent, and schools are STILL bad? That's patently absurd.

Quote:
Why are you so eager to contradict a point that has not been raised? Can't you follow the thread? Are you embarked on some mission?
Again, because you seem to be having trouble keeping track of your own statements... you raised the issue with your assertion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Don't want to pay at all? Look for some place that has lousy schools, no culture, crumbling roads, spotty police, fire, and ambulance service, no libraries, run-down parks, and where you are going to be relying on well water and a septic system. Chances are that you might save a few bucks by living in a place like that.

Last edited by InformedConsent; 10-28-2009 at 04:04 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies