Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:33 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh but they'll tell you all the Millions of Millionaires will move to Cayman Islands....LOL

All these patriotic Americans.....[Don't let the door hit you in the ass!]
The ones leaving are the very ones the Dems want to tax.
They are educated (usually 4 year or Masters), white collared job seekers and have families (yes..now trending to families from single adults).

Guess who will be left here when the dust settles ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,752,651 times
Quote:
Oh but they'll tell you all the Millions of Millionaires will move to Cayman Islands....LOL

All these patriotic Americans.....[Don't let the door hit you in the ass!]
They can move there but every dime they make here will still be taxed regardless.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:35 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even for telecommute ? Does that commuter tax apply to telecomute as well ?
Yup.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:36 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,101,478 times
Quote:
That's a cute article.

It only talks about those moving out and nothing about those moving in.

New York's population increased 2.7 % percent during that time span.....LOL

Population - New York City Department of City Planning

Whaaaah! Don't tax the rich!

Domestic Migration by State (http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/data/popests/Reports/dmig_report_states - broken link)

How about this cute article?

Big net losses for NY State. Net means total moving in and total moving out. Looks like many more Americans prefer lower taxes as well as less corrupt politics like you would find in Texas

Whaaaaah! More taxes to pay for more welfare losers! (In Dem states)

Old 10-28-2009, 05:37 PM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even for telecommute ? Does that commuter tax apply to telecomute as well ?
Yep, telecommuters as well. When I telecommuted to NYC offices, I paid it. There are some guidelines but the majority of telecommuters are subject to it.

There is no way to avoid that tax. NYC will be fine.

I now telecommute to a NJ office from NY and I pay taxes in both states. I get credit from NY from what I pay to NJ, but I always still owe.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They can move there but every dime they make here will still be taxed regardless.
Nope..not true. There's an income exclusion and housing exclusion.
Look up the expat tax laws.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
Yep, telecommuters as well. When I telecommuted to NYC offices, I paid it. There are some guidelines but the majority of telecommuters are subject to it.

There is no way to avoid that tax. NYC will be fine.

I now telecommute to a NJ office from NY and I pay taxes in both states. I get credit from NY from what I pay to NJ, but I always still owe.
Wow..bummer. So NY gets you no matter where you are.
City-State-Federal. I left NYC when I graduated HS and lived in Florida and Texas. Federal tax only but property taxes and sales tax are higher.
I think I'd rather live with those type of taxes than having it forced from my paycheck.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:53 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,972,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post
Domestic Migration by State (http://mcdc2.missouri.edu/data/popests/Reports/dmig_report_states - broken link)

How about this cute article?

Big net losses for NY State. Net means total moving in and total moving out. Looks like many more Americans prefer lower taxes as well as less corrupt politics like you would find in Texas

Whaaaaah! More taxes to pay for more welfare losers! (In Dem states)

Good for Texas.

Being the State with the highest percentage of uninsured children and below average median income, below average SAT scores, must make the citizens very proud that rich elite are moving in.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Good for Texas.

Being the State with the highest percentage of uninsured children and below average median income must make the citizens very proud that rich elite are moving in.....
Way to generalize. We're right up there with California when it comes to our neighbors south of the border. Take all those out of the picture and you have some normal numbers. Close to 50% of that number are Hispanics making under poverty level income.

And Texas is not the highest anymore.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:59 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyandclaire89 View Post
Who will the liberals tax after all the wealthy leave NY...

Tax refugees staging escape from New York
"More than 1.5 million state residents left for other parts of the United States from 2000 to 2008, according to the report from the Empire Center for New York State Policy. It was the biggest out-of-state migration in the country."

Then the very last lines:

" The peak loss of New Yorkers was in 2005, when nearly 250,000 residents left the state. But last year, only 126,000 left, the lowest figure over the eight-year period."

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies