Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:03 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,012,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
"More than 1.5 million state residents left for other parts of the United States from 2000 to 2008, according to the report from the Empire Center for New York State Policy. It was the biggest out-of-state migration in the country."

Then the very last lines:

" The peak loss of New Yorkers was in 2005, when nearly 250,000 residents left the state. But last year, only 126,000 left, the lowest figure over the eight-year period."

Most are neglecting some factors:

A) people hitting retirement. NY is a tough place for anyone on a fixed income, for sure. Many leave to retire to warmer climates.

B) There was some flight after 9/11 from NYC

C) for every person that migrates OUT of NY, someone migrates in. The housing market was a booming and the houses couldn't list fast enough.

The migration from NY is not ONLY about taxes (income).. as much as the right would like to point fingers and say it is, it isn't.

I know first hand..i'm a former NY'r.. and INCOME tax had NOTHIGN to do with it..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 06:05 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
But then you have to live in Florida.

I know about 15 people who moved to FL or NC/SC. 12 of them moved back.
And everyone I know that has fled from NY to NC has hated every time they go back to visit family on vacations. In fact I can only think of one person out of at least 20 that went back and they're looking for jobs back down here. All the reasons given are: high cost of living, congested, too cold, hateful attitudes (after they meet people from the south) and too boring.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:07 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
And everyone I know that has fled from NY to NC has hated every time they go back to visit family on vacations. In fact I can only think of one person out of at least 20 that went back and they're looking for jobs back down here. All the reasons given are: high cost of living, congested, too cold, hateful attitudes (after they meet people from the south) and too boring.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,306,908 times
Look around at the liberals states and the successful people are running because the loons are tax crazy nuts who want to steal money from successful people and hand it to losers.

Its Obama's agenda, steal from good successful people and hand it to bum losers who voted for Obama.

NY has just raised the taxes again, and are saying they need to raise them even more.

Remember, losers who don't pay taxes wont leave NY, they will stay there and hope that Obama steals some more money and hand it to them.

By the way, we were on our way to live in Florida until my mother became ill, many close friends and business acquaintances for many years are living in Florida enjoying the good life.

Florida is not for everyone, but those who move there unprepared will leave and blame Florida for THEIR mistakes. Read the Florida forum, many people leave and blame the state for their mistakes when most of them are to blame.

Florida would be the place to go if you are a successful person, at least Florida does not STEAL your money and hand it to Obama voters.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Even for telecommute ? Does that commuter tax apply to telecomute as well ?
The tax is based upon where you are working at the time you earn it. If you are a telecommuter, working inside the NYC limits, regardless as to where you place your residence, you pay income taxes to the NYC on top of your residency.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:15 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Moving to the south is culture shock. Some adjust while others don't. Those that don't usually end up moving "back home".

I lived in south Florida for over 10 years (Pompano Beach) and I saw it alot and I mean alot in the younger then retired age. Once they retired they loved the "early bird specials" and the "express bus" from the retirement communities to the supermarket.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:16 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
This article then states that they fled to NJ, which has higher taxes than NY. Oh NYPost, the Enquirer of all local papers with your horrible reporting.

I know people who have been moving South for years, and 75% of them come back within 2 years.

Lol, more awesome reporting from the Post. They contradict themselves over and over in one tiny article. They really are the worst.
Count me amongst the people that have moved south and have absolutely NO intention of returning to New (TAX) York. Finally got away from the liberal policies, the taxing the hell out of the innovative, hard working producers, and handing out as many freebies to people who abuse the system. Goodbye and good riddance.....I'd like to say I miss New York but I'd be lying!!!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:17 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,154,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Most are neglecting some factors:

A) people hitting retirement. NY is a tough place for anyone on a fixed income, for sure. Many leave to retire to warmer climates.

B) There was some flight after 9/11 from NYC

C) for every person that migrates OUT of NY, someone migrates in. The housing market was a booming and the houses couldn't list fast enough.

The migration from NY is not ONLY about taxes (income).. as much as the right would like to point fingers and say it is, it isn't.

I know first hand..i'm a former NY'r.. and INCOME tax had NOTHIGN to do with it..
Plus, they went to Jersey and FL! Hahaha!

Agree, way too many variables in such a huge place. Young families would move to the burbs, too. And it's hard for real NYers to leave for good... maybe they move to NJ but continue to work in NY.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:19 PM

639 posts, read 1,142,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
Plus, they went to Jersey and FL! Hahaha!
Yeah...moving to Florida at 44 with the Palm trees, polite people, low taxes, great weather......I must admit it has been REAL tough. Goodbye New York...have fun......

Old 10-28-2009, 06:21 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times
Property taxes: Where does your state rank? - MSN Money

State Comparisons
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies