Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 07:12 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times

Advertisements

I think we have to give up our attempt at a world wide empire before it bankrupts our country even worse than it already has. This empire is failing and the sooner we get out the better. After we get rid of that waste we need to rebuild our industrial power behind countervailing tariffs. We should use the products of the reindustrialization to rebuild the entire infrastructure of transport, water supply and farming to reduce our internal production costs. At the same time we need to shift our electric power supply to nuclear and other domestic sources including the renewable sources to save us the cost of paying for foreign energy. In addition our income tax system has to be restored to the progressivity it had in the 1930’s so the lower paid consumers have more money to spend and the rich investors have less to invest overseas in companies that cost American jobs.

We really need tine to recover from the Imperial excesses of the Ronnie Raygun years. My suggestions will give us that time and the investment will eventually restore our prosperity.

This America of crooked politicians, market manipulating businessmen and over taxed working class citizens will disappear under my ideas. Good riddance to this perversion of America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 07:20 AM

1,851 posts, read 2,153,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Just one more reason I have 0 respect for obama. Never has America lost a war or helped in one where our military didn't give 100%. Right now over in Afghanistan, they don't have any idea what is going on, why? Could it be because obama has no idea what he is doing?
He couldn't care less about this country so why should he care about our soldiers? He has been told what is needed to win over there, but he's waiting for an election while everyday one or more Americans are killed over there. He throws parties, takes vacations, and he is still campaigning for himself and others.
The only thing he knows how to do is spend money, and he doesn't even do that right. He is spending money we don't have. Oh, he has a blank check, but nothing he's doing is going to affect him in the end. He only knows how to do one thing, talk, and only if it's written for him.
I had no idea how many people hated this country until he was put in office. They started crawling out from under their rocks like they have been waiting for this moment all their lives.
He is calling us stupid! Neither the idiots in Congress or obama and his followers believe we are capable of running our lives anymore. If Americans want real change, we need to start at the top and make sure that the people making these decisions for us loose their jobs.
I know we are all used to the same faces in office, but it's okay, we can vote them out, while we still have the right to vote. Think obama wont find a way to squash our right to vote? Think again. Why do you think they all are in such a hurry to get their bills passed without anybody reading them? He (obama) is going to succeed if we don't stand up.
I would have thought you'd get at least one or two correct and accurate points, in your rant.

But damn!

Talk about shooting blindly.

Last edited by NMyTree; 10-29-2009 at 07:52 AM..

Old 10-29-2009, 07:25 AM

11,298 posts, read 18,888,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diva360 View Post
Because they have the best interests of their society at heart and really want to talk about pragmatic solutions? The model of the public sphere where there are only winners and losers is, in my opinion, very damaging. It leads to name-calling, demonization, and other very harmful and poisonous things. As a liberal, I am willing to talk to any conservative any time and anywhere about how best to solve our problems as long as he or she is willing to refrain from name calling, which is bad for all of us, whoever does it.

The point of a democracy is that we talk to each other in a reasonable manner in spite of huge ideological differences. If I can't imagine why my opposition would think the things they do, then how can I hope that I could talk to them and hope to make them understand my point of view? This is not a wrestling match--it is the much more serious business of how we figure out how we can most effectively make a more perfect union. I believe that the best way we can do that is to see what we might have in common and start reasoning from there. A good start would be to make sure you can say what your opposition is saying in a way that they would understand as being fair and reasonable. A whole lot of cooperation can follow from simply doing that. I look forward to being a responsible citizen with all of you, though I expect that many will find my discourse lacking because it is not sufficiently contentious. I would argue back that we have way too much contention already, and what we need more of is people seeking common ground.
We need more politicians in the mold of Ted Kennedy and Orin Hatch who adjust their ideology for the good of the American people. The two were even good friends despite being political opposites, there's a great article in a recent issue of US News and World Report on it. I miss the days of the (pre-2008, when he was less far right) John McCain and Russ Feingold working together on campaign finance reform and reasonable environmental legislation.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americaloveitorlveit View Post
Never has America lost a war or helped in one where our military didn't give 100%.
100% of what? Cliches?

Old 10-29-2009, 01:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7 Wishes View Post
We need more politicians in the mold of Ted Kennedy and Orin Hatch who adjust their ideology for the good of the American people.
I never understood this point of view. If you don't think your ideology is what's best for the American people, why is it your ideology? Don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about blindly following a party. That's a separate thing from ideology. I'm talking about compromising your basic values and principles (which in this day and age tends to be called "ideology").

Old 10-29-2009, 01:57 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wow, what a sad and tragic post that is. In spite of your apparent inability to understand colonialism and the devastating effect it had on the Vietnamese people, you seem to think more killing was the answer. The Vietnamese in the North had the stronger will, because they had the rule of self determination, and it will always win over colonialism.

Ever life lost in Vietnam was for this concept, as is every life in both Afghanistan and especially Iraq. The lesson is completely lost on you. America has no right determining the fate of other countries thru military force. Never has, never will. We can only defend ourselves and work to restore those democratically elected to power against illegitimate occupiers and those viewed as subjugating the native population, as we are seen in both Iraq and Afghanistan by a large (and growing) number of people.

And thats it. Nothing else is legit.
The French abandoned French Indochina (Vietnam, Laos and Cambodia) after Dien Bien Phu in 1954. That region was coming out of colonialism and was self-governing. It wasn't the U.S. or its allies that was trying to impose their will upon a subject people. It was us who tried to be a bulwark against the imperialism of the communist north. Transitioning from colonialism to self determination is a long and slow process. And often an uneven road. Look at Africa. But if we had prevailed in Vietnam and kept the communists north of the DMZ (the goal of the 1973 Paris Accords) South Vietnam today would be like South Korea--free, prosperous and a welcome member of the community of nations. First and foremost Ho was a communist. His war against the south had nothing to do with liberation.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:05 PM

3,566 posts, read 3,733,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
The fact that we were ever IN that fight WAS the fault of evil, lying, jingoistic and/or cowardly AMERICAN politicians. Just like the crop we mainly have now.

If you turn into a drooling imbecile whenever some worthless political ***** waves the American flag in front of your face, don't be surprised if you have to bleed for his vanity one day.
Martin Luther King once said no man is truly free until all men are free. I believe that. And I don't think it makes me a drooling imbecile to heed the call of my country to fight, to bleed, and, yes, even to die that others may enjoy the freedom which is their birthright as children of God. Does that mean we can be the world's policeman? No. But sometimes that is our calling. Your cynicism does not demean me but only yourself.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:21 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Martin Luther King once said no man is truly free until all men are free. I believe that. And I don't think it makes me a drooling imbecile to heed the call of my country to fight, to bleed, and, yes, even to die that others may enjoy the freedom which is their birthright as children of God.
Go ahead and do it, but don't expect any applause from me. If you believe that politicians ever enter a war for anything but their own sick interests...well, I've stated my view already.

Quote:
Does that mean we can be the world's policeman? No. But sometimes that is our calling.
Ehh...so which is it? We are or we f'n aren't.

Quote:
Your cynicism does not demean me but only yourself.
The gung-ho idiots and gullible patriots can get themselves killed gloriously, I'll be happy to be merely demeaned.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:24 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,527,281 times
I love a good disappearing act. Where is this gonna happen? Vegas?

Old 10-29-2009, 02:57 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
I love a good disappearing act. Where is this gonna happen? Vegas?

David Copperfield's next big show. Making the statue of liberty disappear was nothin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies