Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 05:38 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,896,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
Let me put it this way : I have always hated Wal Mart. I know that many younger and older people get miffed when we bring up the good old days, but, from a worldly object standpoint, we made some really neat things here. And, we also imported things from Japan, which was a standing joke at the time, along with stuff from Taiwan. (Joke meaning "everything seemed to come from Japan) However, some of that stuff is still around, and fetching good prices on the collectors market. We had a balance in trade. I don't hate Chinese people for making a living.

I hate the debt that we are in. If people make something well from quality materials, I don't care where it comes from, but we need to recover our Manufacturing. I remember towns with factories. There were plenty of cottage industries. Rents weren't insane like they are now. I miss quality. Some of the junk sold currently falls apart, and breaks so easily. I will keep buying up old American made collectibles. Some of them are actually in museums now. Every time a Wal Mart closes, I celebrate.
We had a huge Fisher Price factory in our town, They decided that it would be cost effective to move the plant to Mexico. This plant had been in town for DECADES. When they left, Mattel/Fisher Price began having numerous issues with the quality of their toys. Never had one issue when they were here. Thank God Pella windows filled the plant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 05:39 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Products must first be made in the US before they can be sold, here! How many American companies make tvs today vcr's, furniture.................. guess what ,nobody, NO BODY is going to start one any time soon either!!
Uhm...didn't I say I want want more products to be made here?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:40 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,182,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens2QueenCity View Post
And 60%-70% of that 1.2M are minimum wage jobs that forces their employees to seek subsidized assistance from the gov't.
As I always state, where were the Walmart workers working at when they applied at Walmart ?

My guess is---#1--they had no current job
---------------#2-Walmart had better wages and benefits than where they were working.

I doubt anyone was forced at gunpoint to leave a higher paying job and apply at Walmart.

If Walmart employees are ILLEGALS, that is wrong.

If Walmart employees were legals who applied at Walmart cuz it was better than what they currently had---------what's the objection ?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
As I always state, where were the Walmart workers working at when they applied at Walmart ?

My guess is---#1--they had no current job
---------------#2-Walmart had better wages and benefits than where they were working.

I doubt anyone was forced at gunpoint to leave a higher paying job and apply at Walmart.

If Walmart employees are ILLEGALS, that is wrong.

If Walmart employees were legals who applied at Walmart cuz it was better than what they currently had---------what's the objection ?
Better benefits...at Walmart???

Old 10-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Many fulltime Walmart workers get benefits.

(not so with the " mom and pop" stores that have a couple employees and are mad cuz their employees are leaving them to work at Walmart .

Old 10-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Quote:

(not so with the " mom and pop" stores that have a couple employees and are mad cuz their employees are leaving them to work at Walmart .
They must have changed their ways, because they used to work people 39.5 hours a week so they would have to offer them benefits.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:55 PM

4,104 posts, read 5,307,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Okay...Walmart and most other major retailers. Happy now? Walmart just happens to be the poster child in this mess. We need to be as protective of our manufacturing sector as some are protective of Walmart. Without a thriving manufacturing sector, we cannot have a thriving middle class.

Nonsense. Without an educated workforce we cannot have a thriving middle class. There is no reason the US has to manufacture anything. There are many reasons it is better to ship it oversees.

Old 10-28-2009, 05:58 PM

----" There is no reason the US has to manufacture anything "--

I'd hate to be at the mercy of other countries for manufactured products we needed.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:25 PM

8,998 posts, read 14,782,217 times
Quote:

They hire a lot of part time people so they won't have to offer them benefits.

I will say the health care benefits aren't all that pricey but a lot of times their employees can't afford the plans because they aren't making a lot of money to begin with.

Old 10-28-2009, 06:28 PM

35,016 posts, read 39,141,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPATTA2D View Post
Nonsense. Without an educated workforce we cannot have a thriving middle class. There is no reason the US has to manufacture anything. There are many reasons it is better to ship it oversees.
Are you serious?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies